Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not true. The 986/987 rev range counters were in the ECU code when the cars left the factory. Nothing was changed afterwards, other than the counter data stored (or, according to your article, Porsche's interpretation of the counters vis a vis extended warranty eligibility).
Your first sentence is not true. Subsequent sentences are consistent with what I wrote, viz, the limit is by software, whether software out of the factory, software in ECU flash at dealer, or software from OTA update.

But please do buy the porsche and let us know how that goes.

Last edited:
Wow, so you are completely unaffected.
I believe my car has a minor battery fault, cell group 57 at “empty” is 240 mV less than the highest cell group.

But at SOC higher than about 10%, all 96 cell groups are within 10 mV according to TM-Spy. Without that one low cell group, I might have 2 or 3 more miles available. I do NOT want a replacement because a refurbished one might be worse (assuming one cell group imbalance at very low SOC would even qualify for replacement).

However I don’t charge beyond 80% overnight, just in case. If I need more, I will charge after I wake up.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
It is certainly not a felony, and the EPA rating applies to the car when it is new, not when it is years old.

Um no. And the EPA rating for it's rated RANGE applies when it is new. It doesn't allow Tesla to change the way it calculates rated range. Rated range will decrease over time as the battery degrades, but Tesla can't change the per mile efficiency calculation after the fact.

Reactions: lightningltd
In my 100d a year ago, an update started. It ran for a while and then said "verifying update". Thinking that implied the actual installation was done I moved the car 10" into the garage. The update aborted, rolled back, and i wasn't prompted again for 3+ weeks which i assume was a new download. I actually asked support and they stated the obvious - you shouldn't drive while updating and I had to wait for a new deployment.

If it's helpful to anyone I'd be happy to try to repeat that process. I'm no longer intetested in updates. Of course I have no idea when that might be.

Can the car even be driven while the update is in progress or as this verifying step after the update finished?

• Informative
I wonder if the software update to restrict the maximum cell voltage by Tesla was actually even necessary...

In two years of ownership, I have probably only charged to 100% on two (or possibly three) occasions - and always on journeys when I actually needed the range. Therefore the cell voltages would have been reduced immediately after the charge finished by driving as I continued on my journey.

This implies that my charging behaviour was already in line with what Tesla has achieved with the software lock, and therefore that the cell capacity restriction is largely unnecessary... for my particular usage at least.

If it is in fact dangerous (cell fire due to dendrites) to charge to the full (4.2V ?) cell capacity, then that would seem to be a warranty issue which would require the pack to be replaced on safety grounds.

If I wanted a MS70 I would have bought one... but I did not because I wanted the range of the MS85 instead!

Does anyone know the cost of software unlocking a 75KWH pack to 90KWH? Because I estimate that this probably equates to the compensation amount owed by Tesla for capping my MS85 (was 77KWH) to the equivalent of a Model S70 (now 68KWH)

This is exactly why I was saying I would have been ok with this limitation if Tesla instead gave a warning and started reducing the charge immediately by running hvac to reduce the SOC. You should never charge to 95%+ and just leave it there. You should start driving immediately.

That was just my wild ass guess. 5000. Based on Tesla saying range was clipped on a very small percentage of owners.

Actual number of cars that hit range clipped is unknown. Except by Tesla

Except that even the few here in the forum who said they were not effected are now reporting in that they're losing total available kWh. Basically, if you're not yet effected, you will be eventually the first time you hit a triggering state.

I believe my car has a minor battery fault, cell group 57 at “empty” is 240 mV less than the highest cell group.

But at SOC higher than about 10%, all 96 cell groups are within 10 mV according to TM-Spy. Without that one low cell group, I might have 2 or 3 more miles available. I do NOT want a replacement because a refurbished one might be worse (assuming one cell group imbalance at very low SOC would even qualify for replacement).

However I don’t charge beyond 80% overnight, just in case. If I need more, I will charge after I wake up.
One low cell likely will not qualify...
Mine passed their test and i only have 60.4 kWh available.
Screenshot_20190712-205240_TM-Spy.jpg

Um no. And the EPA rating for it's rated RANGE applies when it is new. It doesn't allow Tesla to change the way it calculates rated range. Rated range will decrease over time as the battery degrades, but Tesla can't change the per mile efficiency calculation after the fact.
I think you’re confusing EPA rating with the number displayed on the vehicle display. The EPA range was calculated using a new vehicle based on a battery of tests. The tests were done, and the range value was legit at the time of sale. No law was broken as far as the EPA is concerned. Just about every vehicle loses efficiency over time so expecting the EPA range for the life of the vehicle is a fallacy. Your issue is warranty related not EPA related regardless of what multiplier Tesla uses for the display. Hell, the multiplier in my Model 3 changed earlier this year to “give” me more range. It’s completely arbitrary and has no effect on actual range.

Reactions: DJRas
[
I wonder if the software update to restrict the maximum cell voltage by Tesla was actually even necessary...

In two years of ownership, I have probably only charged to 100% on two (or possibly three) occasions - and always on journeys when I actually needed the range. Therefore the cell voltages would have been reduced immediately after the charge finished by driving as I continued on my journey.

This implies that my charging behaviour was already in line with what Tesla has achieved with the software lock, and therefore that the cell capacity restriction is largely unnecessary... for my particular usage at least.

If it is in fact dangerous (cell fire due to dendrites) to charge to the full (4.2V ?) cell capacity, then that would seem to be a warranty issue which would require the pack to be replaced on safety grounds.

If I wanted a MS70 I would have bought one... but I did not because I wanted the range of the MS85 instead!

Does anyone know the cost of software unlocking a 75KWH pack to 90KWH? Because I estimate that this probably equates to the compensation amount owed by Tesla for capping my MS85 (was 77KWH) to the equivalent of a Model S70 (now 68KWH)

I am in a similar boat. In 3 years I:
Charged up to 100% less than 10 times, every year annually to check and record the range, for degradation and comparison purposes, otherwise it was for an immediate journey.
I only Supercharged about 10-15% of the time.
I normally operated between 20-80%
I never kept the car for any length of time at a high SoC. After logging the annual 100% range figures I always drove it to reduce the SoC.
But my battery has been capped by just over 15%.
So logic suggests that Tesla's actions don’t seem to be linked directly to how we have treated our batteries. I assume they must have found, or mis-diagnosed Plating, but given how carefully I have treated my battery over the 3 years, it seems unlikely. So, as today is learning day, I am open to suggestions.

I also don’t really want money, I would just like my battery back to where it was. In response to Tesla's claim that I should wait patiently as they 'are working on a solution' I did suggest if they were that confident they could give me a loaner until the solution was found, or a temporary battery until the solution was found, or compensation, each week, until the solution was found. They haven’t responded yet.

Last edited:
Adding myself to the list of affected owners on a 85kWh pack. Went from 6% degradation to 17% right after the software update. Finally got to a service center and the tech said it's because of high supercharger usage, and it's something that Tesla implemented to protect the battery. I drive a lot and the lower range creates more of a need for me to charge more frequently, and supercharging is convenient for me as I'm commuting to/from work.

My concern (on top of the fact they did this with no communication and no plan for resolution), is that they may decide to degrade the battery again to "protect" it, and my car become essentially useless given my driving patterns, which is the entire reason I bought the car in the first place.

I also wonder how this factors into the "unlimited" battery warranty, since a battery with significantly lower range than the rest of the fleet is no longer performing as expected and should be replaced?

Reactions: NSX1992

So, I gather the car has not been supercharged (or very little)?

I do NOT want a replacement because a refurbished one might be worse

That my position as well. You never know what you would get.