Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20190626-150331.png
Screenshot_20190626-150500.png

2013 S85. Serial number in the 13000s. In the last three years max range has only decreased from 254 to between 252 and 253. As with most on this thread, my max range abruptly dropped to 221 while supercharging two weeks ago. I too have 2019.16 software.

After a discussion with a remote Tesla Technician, he confirmed the software is limiting the range for “battery life”. I reiterated points already made in this thread, including the obvious “real intent” of minimizing the threat of battery fires. While not specifically acknowledging this point, the technician did say they are developing a software load that would help minimize the range impact. No specific timeline provided.

2013 S85. Serial number in the 13000s. In the last three years max range has only decreased from 254 to between 252 and 253. As with most on this thread, my max range abruptly dropped to 221 while supercharging two weeks ago. I too have 2019.16 software.

After a discussion with a remote Tesla Technician, he confirmed the software is limiting the range for “battery life”. I reiterated points already made in this thread, including the obvious “real intent” of minimizing the threat of battery fires. While not specifically acknowledging this point, the technician did say they are developing a software load that would help minimize the range impact. No specific timeline provided.

I highly doubt the reason for the software limiting range is to minimizing the threat of battery fires. Slowing the charging rate after 90% I can seeto reduce the heating of the pack but not reducing range. There aren't many charging fires that I can recall, the cars effected are dated back to 2012 and now all of a sudden there is an issue with charging fires? Sorry I am not buying it.

If Tesla would just communicate that with the affected owners the situation would be so much better.

I just installed 2019.20.2.1 and SC this morning to 90%
I got no added range back (didn't expect it)
I did see limited initial charge current. I used to get 105kW or so, today it went to about 85kW before settling at 74kW

Dropbox - 20190626_071958.mp4 - Simplify your life

My S 85 is not (yet) affected by the range drop, but I have noticed a strong decrease in supercharging speeds as well. Used to hit 115kW, now I don't get past 75-85kW, with warm battery at low SoC. I have called service about this, but they say my battery is fine, no issues, but that it is because of decreased performance of the stall, but I don't buy this explanation at all. The speed reduction is across the entire charge, I'm seeing lower speeds at all charge levels, I'm not even reaching 60kW at 50%, so even with a lower performing stall I should get good charge speeds at lower SoC...

Could this issue be related, or could my pack be affected too? I charge to 90% generally, and haven't noticed a lower range so far.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I highly doubt the reason for the software limiting range is to minimizing the threat of battery fires. Slowing the charging rate after 90% I can seeto reduce the heating of the pack but not reducing range. There aren't many charging fires that I can recall, the cars effected are dated back to 2012 and now all of a sudden there is an issue with charging fires? Sorry I am not buying it.

I do not believe it is a fire during charging. Perhaps allowing the car to get into an overcharged state? Check out the article posted by kbrandes (#210).

Also, this article purportedly has a video link to the Shanghai fire: Tesla Model S caught on video bursting into flames seemingly on its own when parked - Electrek

Here is coverage of the Monroeville PA fire: Tesla Vehicle Bursts Into Flames, Burns For Hours In Monroeville

Elecktrek also covers the PA fire:
Tesla car caught on fire while being investigated for another fire - Electrek

Both fires were this year.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden
I do not believe it is a fire during charging. Perhaps allowing the car to get into an overcharged state? Check out the article posted by kbrandes (#210).

Also, this article purportedly has a video link to the Shanghai fire: Tesla Model S caught on video bursting into flames seemingly on its own when parked - Electrek

Here is coverage of the Monroeville PA fire: Tesla Vehicle Bursts Into Flames, Burns For Hours In Monroeville

Elecktrek also covers the PA fire:
Tesla car caught on fire while being investigated for another fire - Electrek

Both fires were this year.

The post#210 refers to this article, published on May 15, 2019.

It says:
-----
Following the incident, Tesla confirmed they are releasing a BMS software update to revise the “charge and thermal management settings”:

“As we continue our investigation of the root cause, out of an abundance of caution, we are revising charge and thermal management settings on Model S and Model X vehicles via an over-the-air software update that will begin rolling out today, to help further protect the battery and improve battery longevity.”

The automaker says that it is starting to push the software update over-the-air to its entire fleet of Model S and Model X vehicles today.

-----

There was no communication to the owners, what it means and what to expect. Revising the “charge and thermal management settings" does not necessarily mean the loss of 30 miles in range.

When I read the article on May 15th, I honestly thought the update would result in the charging speed reduction for some cars, not any drastic capacity loss.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Chiming in for not impacted. 2014 D 85 kWh revision battery. Plenty of supercharging. No range decrease yet. As of yesterday with 2019.20.2.1 I was able to supercharge faster than ever before up to 130 kW.

Have anyone been able to tell what triggers the range decrease vs not? It seems to have no reasoning behind it as far as I can tell.