Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a model 3 driver piss and moan at me for how long I was at the charger while she had to wait. She said she should get priority since she has to pay! I simply explained what Tesla had done, and that MANY of us original owners PAID for lifetime charging to help BUILD the chargers she needed. She did not know this stuff. We ended up having a great conversation.

Thanks for the story.
I thought the specific “old batteries only” update 2019.36.2.7 would have helped but no, according to your experience.

Like also how you handled that frustrated Model 3 driver. Nice and educational.

That also should be a motivation for Tesla to solve the charge gate: SuC availability is seriously pulled down by the old battery cars.

Thanks for the story.
I thought the specific “old batteries only” update 2019.36.2.7 would have helped but no, according to your experience.

Like also how you handled that frustrated Model 3 driver. Nice and educational.

That also should be a motivation for Tesla to solve the charge gate: SuC availability is seriously pulled down by the old battery cars.

Austin, what is currently your typical range at 100% and at 90%?
How many km does your S85 have on the odometer?

226 miles for me at 100% S85 Nov 2014 with now 116k miles

Thank you.
That makes me fee a bit "better", or more normal.
Mine is also a November 2014 S85 with 108k km (67k miles) and i'm currently getting 371 km (230 miles) at 100%.

I ask because i often I read people from the US that says they have a lot more range than i do or ever did... and i'm like WTF! :confused:

"March 2014 P85+, ~92,000 miles, driven like its stolen, 259 miles"

"9/14 P85+ 135K 252"

7 years later what is your 100% on your 85kWh battery?

One thing is certain my typical range has been coming down lately, since the infamous "update".

... it seems very credible that whilst searching for Dendrites, Tesla found a number of batteries that were ageing' quicker than expected. And whilst they might still be within specification now, they foresaw that at some point within the 8 year Warranty period, they would fail if they kept being used at current rates. So they capped some batteries forcing owners to charge up to or below the old 85%, but for a much wider group of vehicles they have realised that pumping DC into the batteries at 90-100 kWs was more than the batteries could handle, and it was wearing them out much faster than expected. Solution, stop charging them at high kW settings.

If this theory is correct then it explains why they are happy claiming our batteries are healthy (read unhealthy but still within spec) and why so many batteries charge so much slower than they used to. This would also be something they couldn’t advertise, as the Supercharging network, and the 40 minutes to 80% is what sells cars.

That ^^^ sums it up. It's all about battery replacement dodging.

The batteries are not holding up as thought originally. The only real fix is the battery replacement under warranty. The rest is cheat.

Exactly.
Only the first 4 -5 years (=the commercial lease period) your car gets the >100kW DC speed and advertised trip functionality.
After this period DC charging is halved (100kW => 48kW) and your Tesla degradates to a city shopping cart.

I was able to get to 99% yesterday morning by charging to 90% the night before and then finish charging a few hours later
Screenshot_20191205-091508_Chrome.jpg

maybe 20% is the new 100
You probably have a dead battery but since Tesla feels it's OK to arbitrarily cap wherever they please 20% could be the new 100% and they'd be OK doing it.

I have not made an appointment for the batterygate issue because based on all the reports here it's pointless. They stick to their story that everything is fine. It's so frustrating that they just claim all is fine and at the same time don't accept any data acquired on the CAN bus.

Make the appointments. Inundate service. Make this as inconvenient for Tesla as possible. They need to change their tune, and at some point they will be subpoenad for info asking how many service appointments they have had over this issue - it will help establish "a small number" isn't so small and prove they are dishonest.

Last edited:
Simply changing the battery pack won't restore functionality, the software cap must also be removed or we will simply have a new battery with the same hobbled performance.
I don't agree...the BMS software and hardware are the SAME whether your battery is capped or no or whether you have a 2014 or 2017 car The reason some are capped is because BMS detects "something" awry like a single module out of balance and hence caps the battery...I don't think Tesla sent a special software or firmware to cap specific cars.

The only solution is to get battery replaced and we will be back in business.

I suspect that the pernicious parasitic nematode has emerged from its spore state and commenced its noxious ways into my battery. Since this ugly situation surfaced six months ago, I have periodically calculated my maximum range. I have consistently figured my range miles to be 254-256 at 100% until today. My range today is now 250. Seventy-five kilo-watt hours is the consistent result using the energy graph data divided by percent of capacity.

I am out of town for ten days. I’ll continue to verify once I am home to see if this is an aberrant result or not.

You may be right. But I am in California where winter only exists in the “higher elevations” and 175 feet above sea level isn’t quite there! I have not noticed a dip in prior years during our rainy season from November through March. It is something for me to keep in mind.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
The initial post on this thread still refers to:
-Battery capacity being capped for 2016 and earlier cars
-Does not talk about chargegate (or that started after the thread started)

I have a 2017 X75 (capped and charged limited) and in my local group a lot of users are being hit mostly with chargegate because that is a very simpler think to observe to range loss.

Are there any plaintiffs that have joined with 2017-2019 cars?

That ^^^ sums it up. It's all about battery replacement dodging.

They only want to sell new cars at this point in their business. Nothing more. They probably do as little as legally possible to keep existing customers satisfied.

Their cheapest solution is to handicap cars on the verge of needing expensive in warranty repairs so the failure just happens outside of warranty.

What happens if the further cap charge/max voltage to 30kw max and 4.0vmax once our vehicles exit warranty? They can just say "this is normal degredation. But you can buy a new battery for $30k"

Tesla is really ding everything they can to mask it. After they realized that we are using the CAN bus data they gave us back a little bit of range but for the most part won't let us charge to 100%. Now even on the CAN bus it looks like there is more capacity available. I also wouldn't be surprised if they changed the rated range consumption number to hide some of the capacity loss. The one thing they can't hide or manipulate is the battery voltage when the charger stops. That is the most direct and indisputable evidence. Voltage is the most important metric for a Lithum battery when it comes to capacity and performance.