Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will not. I've had a 2015 CPO for a little over two years, and watched as one update after another removed features and added bugs. I finally decided "no more updates" for my car back in 2018.16 days (right before "nag gate", remember that one?) Except just about two months ago, my MCU burned out due to the eMMC issue and was replaced with one running V10. Besides all the V10 bugs and annoyances, overnight my supercharge rate slowed ~10%, my regen when cold is noticeably lower and the regen limits stay active way longer, and -- most important to me -- my peak power output at 80% SoC dropped 40kW (from 430kW to ~390kW). (Yes this is with max battery, aka ludicrous+, turned on). Since I hadn't been on the firmware downgrade treadmill for 15 months, having all these downgrades hit at once was a very in-your-face experience.

I used to be a huge promoter of Tesla. I was the second person at my office to own one, and I encourage the first guy to get his, gave rides and talked the car up to anybody who'd listen. But now I'm actively discouraging people from purchasing them, and have successfully talked at least two people out of Model 3 purchases. This is just from me describing my ownership experience over the past 2.5 years, and from describing what Tesla's so-called "upgrades" have done as far as removing functionality, limiting features, reducing capacity, locking down the repairability of the car, and generally being a customer-hostile business.

Sucks, but it is what it is.

Ditto!

Any updates from the class action discovery?
Mediation is is progress. Nothing public can be said, all parties are locked down by NDAs. They're unlikely to be participating for any reason other than as a delay tactic so expect it to move forward shortly. But since Class Action mediation attempts will fall apart once the NHTSA issues recall notice, maybe they'll capitulate sooner than I expect.

I wonder how many of these cars with nerfed charging are clogging up the supercharger network.

Queue theory shows that if you have a large population of fast nodes and a small population of slow nodes for a given process, the throughput of the whole system gets throttled by the slow nodes. In other words, if there's a population of S/X cars out there that take an hour to charge mixed into the population of 3/Y cars that charge in 20 minutes, after a while, you'll have a charger station filled with slow charging S/X cars and a huge line of 3/Ys behind them, even if they're some (hand wave) small fraction of the population.

Considering how much these supercharger stations cost and how important they are to the brand, it's actually in tesla's interest to somehow get those slow charging cars out of the system, either by buying them back or by fixing them so they charge quickly.

I successfully completed a long drive (165 mi RT) on my 96% and still had 20 miles left over.
I had some more errands to run so i went ahead and did them.
When I got near home I still had 8 miles remaining so I drove around the neighborhood to burn off more kWh
I pulled into the garage with 1 mile left and plugged into the HPWC with scheduled charge for 6 hours later.
Then a couple hours later I went to check and it was at ZERO with a warning to charge immediately or the car might not wake up.
But, the main screen was black. It took 5-10 minutes to get that to come alive and then started ScanMyTesla and saw I now had used 2.6kWh of the 4kWh BUFFER.
So, I started the charging immediately.

As you can see from the graph below, it took 21 minutes before it registered any rated miles and then completed at 97% (218 miles).

upload_2019-12-3_9-38-21.png

I successfully completed a long drive (165 mi RT) on my 96% and still had 20 miles left over.
When I got near home I still had 8 miles remaining so I drove around the neighborhood to burn off more kWh
I pulled into the garage with 1 mile left and plugged into the HPWC with scheduled charge for 6 hours later.
Then a couple hours later I went to check and it was at ZERO with a warning to charge immediately or the car might not wake up.
But, the main screen was black. It took 5-10 minutes to get that to come alive and then started ScanMyTesla and saw I now had used 2.6kWh of the 4kWh BUFFER.

As you can see from the graph below, it took 21 minutes before it registered any rated miles and then completed at 97% (218 miles).

View attachment 484249
My Model X on latest V10, has 75kWh pack with build of November 2016. I'm having similar. Parked it with 14 miles. Came back to 0 on the screen about 5 hrs later, took about 5 minutes for the screens to wake up. It's been charging at 14 amps 240v showing 9 miles per hour charge rate for about 4 hours now and still reads 0 rated miles. I do know that I have a brick of sells that is about 50mv out of balance with the rest of the pack, that only levels out at 90%+ SOC, however, as usual, Tesla states that battery is fine.

• Informative
Reactions: David99

View attachment 484249

Is this because the pack cooled off and so the batteries became substantially less energetic? I suppose the only way to test is to do it again and then park in a garage that's kept at a comfortable temperature for the batteries.

I haven’t used the app to set charge level for a long time so forgive me if this has been available for a while, but interesting which i didn’t find out until today, but if you set your charge by the app, it only shows the charge to 97% when set at 100% and 88% when set at 90%.

Don’t know why the discrepancy. Never seen a difference before on the app. New now shows either % or miles dependant on what you’ve set on your display I think.

I have a significantly capped battery which takes ages to reach 100%, but I’ve charged twice now set on 100% at SuC and reached 100% shown each time.

617B5FC0-7943-470D-B20B-4756106FA705_1_201_a.jpeg

Attachments

• 0E3227A5-DE62-41A9-984B-60F798923D16_1_201_a.jpeg
    0E3227A5-DE62-41A9-984B-60F798923D16_1_201_a.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Informative
Reactions: David99
I haven’t used the app to set charge level for a long time so forgive me if this has been available for a while, but interesting which i didn’t find out until today, but if you set your charge by the app, it only shows the charge to 97% when set at 100% and 88% when set at 90%.

Don’t know why the discrepancy. Never seen a difference before on the app. New now shows either % or miles dependant on what you’ve set on your display I think.

I have a significantly capped battery which takes ages to reach 100%, but I’ve charged twice now set on 100% at SuC and reached 100% shown each time.

View attachment 484267

I also noticed this recently (during this last weekend)
It shows either in percentage and km or miles.
It's a nice feature (at last one).

So, I started the charging immediately. As you can see from the graph below, it took 21 minutes before it registered any rated miles and then completed at 97% (218 miles)/QUOTE]
I don't think the BMS records the miles or energy added for filling back the buffer, so that makes sense, but the chart shows 205.94 miles added at 96%, and you stated 218 miles at 97%. Does that indicate the difference between Teslafi and Scan My Tesla? Something doesn't seem to add up.

Is this because the pack cooled off and so the batteries became substantially less energetic? I suppose the only way to test is to do it again and then park in a garage that's kept at a comfortable temperature for the batteries.

This was in my garage with the ambient temperature in the 50s - 60s.

I don't think the BMS records the miles or energy added for filling back the buffer, so that makes sense, but the chart shows 205.94 miles added at 96%, and you stated 218 miles at 97%. Does that indicate the difference between Teslafi and Scan My Tesla? Something doesn't seem to add up.

The 218 miles and 97% came from the car display.
I don't know why Teslafi didn't show the 218 miles added.
I haven't processed the 2GB ScanMyTesla CSV file yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Blu Zap
AC8661E8-596F-4039-899C-DF0ECADF37CC.png
I finished yesterday at 44%. Thought I would try a slow AC (3.5kW) overnight charge to 100%. 11 hours later it stopped at 97%. And refused to go higher. (Thinks. Is this another sneaky brake, reducing the available size even further?). By the morning it had slipped back to 96% (190 miles). A cold, sub zero night outside, but in the garage it was low single figures. So even gentle, slow AC seems too much.
Had another go at a slow (3.5kW) AC charge to 100%. Started at 57% indicated. 8.5 hours later it reported Charge Complete, but again failed to get to 100%. It stopped at 98%. Perhaps it’s a new limitation to make getting a voltage reading at 100% Impossible. (At 98% it showed 4.09V with a 6 mV spread.)

View attachment 484267

That is strange. I show 100% when all the way to the right, 90% at 90 bar. I am not affected by battery gate.
Someone affected by battery can confirm what they see? @DJRas?

View attachment 484249

Do you by any chance now what “API Error - Data Request Timeout” means in the Teslafi log?

Soo.. I took another road trip from Eureka, CA to Orange County, ca over the thanksgiving holiday. Observations:
I updated to 2019.36.2.7 right before.
Batterygate: No change
Chargegate: No change
New things we pre-facelift (non AP) do not get: The one foot driving. Just like chill mode, even though it is possibkle to do, Tesla has reserved it for AP cars :(. I know chill is possible because they accidentally activated it in v9 then took it back the next update.
Of course, those of us that are capped already have our own chill mode built in and forced on us :p
Also, we do not get a functional browser either. I DID get release notes and thought it was fixed, but they would not come back. The browser worked for 1 charge session then wouldn't. I am not rebooting everytime I want to browse.

Supercharging: No positive change. I DID see 100kw for 3 seconds then instantly dropped to 60kw with the battery warm and at 10 miles left in the tank (arrival).
New NORMAL charge rate for most of the middle of the charge is 48kw then 36kw then even lower.
Due to the holiday, all superchargers were at capacity. It got worse when I5 was shut down at the grapevine, causing everyone to divert to hwy 101 via the coast. Massive charge lines at many of them.
Had a model 3 driver piss and moan at me for how long I was at the charger while she had to wait. She said she should get priority since she has to pay! I simply explained what Tesla had done, and that MANY of us original owners PAID for lifetime charging to help BUILD the chargers she needed. She did not know this stuff. We ended up having a great conversation. I did move off to the destination charger next door when my percentage got close to what I needed for the leg, since I would have gained NOTHING more from the Stuper-charger than the destination charger would give.

Also, at one charger, it started at 3KW and stayed there. I unplugged then plugged back in and the car rebooted. THEN I got a WHOPPING 60kw for 1 minute before it tapered. I was the only one there that time since it was 3 AM on the return back.

Went to a service center in OC (my 110v charger croaked and I had to buy another one), and asked the Service Advisor if he knew about Tesla taking away 16% of my and others batteries. He said 'Oh the 85kw? that was to make them last longer so you have a good battery for years to come.' I told him that if I wanted a S60 I would have bought one and paid MUCH less. He suggested I write a letter to Tesla :)

Went to another supercharger later that day (full house) and there was a Service advisor making up some extra hours helping direct people to the chargers and keep them in their queue for charging... I asked her the same thing, and stated that I had monitored my degradation and I know that when 16% disappears overnight after an update, it is NOT degradation. She actually agreed! She asked when I called support when it happened, and I said in June. She suggested using the app, make an appointment, then in the comments, describe it and to be sure to say what the TRACKED degradation was prior to the update and that I KNOW it is not degradation and ask WHY it was such an emergency action and why they did it and ask for my 16% back. Then see what they say when they email or text me back after looking at the logs. I took that as a 'hint' that she may know something but did not want to say.

Will be doing that tomorrow when I have time :)

Also, when the nav said 5 minutes to continue, it really meant 25 minutes :p
I felt bad inconveniencing others to charge, but I have to charge to drive!

Last edited: