Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just looked at the charging screen on my phone.

My 100% range had been holding fairly steady at 254-256 until the weekend after Thanksgiving. That following Monday, December 2, my 100% had slid slightly to 248. When I came home five days later it was holding steady at 245.

One week ago my max had dropped to 240.

Today, it is at 236. Twenty miles of range lost over three weeks. I suspect that it will plummet even further. What should I expect to be the final resting place for my range? 210 miles @100%?

My road trip to Arizona for Spring Training hangs in the balance.

It's still sending the heat through the battery coolant lines on shore power. Maybe they think we have damaged coolant systems? It makes no sense to limit preheating since that should reduce battery strain so there is an underlying risk factor we haven't figured out.

@cpa That is classic batterygate capping. They hide the reduction over a few weeks

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
It's still sending the heat through the battery coolant lines on shore power. Maybe they think we have damaged coolant systems? It makes no sense to limit preheating since that should reduce battery strain so there is an underlying risk factor we haven't figured out.

@cpa That is classic batterygate capping. They hide the reduction over a few weeks
I just looked at the charging screen on my phone.

My 100% range had been holding fairly steady at 254-256 until the weekend after Thanksgiving. That following Monday, December 2, my 100% had slid slightly to 248. When I came home five days later it was holding steady at 245.

One week ago my max had dropped to 240.

Today, it is at 236. Twenty miles of range lost over three weeks. I suspect that it will plummet even further. What should I expect to be the final resting place for my range? 210 miles @100%?

My road trip to Arizona for Spring Training hangs in the balance.
I would expect it to settle at about 220 miles at 100%.
BUT, you will also likely not be able to get to 100%.
210 is probably a realistic max rated range charge (with getting from 90% to 95% taking an hour).

• Informative
Reactions: cpa and Droschke
Just curious if there is any data on how much DC Supercharging is resulting in battery/chargegate? Is there anything consistent that has been determined by the impacted users?
Answer, no. There is also the problem that the car only registers DC charge total. It doesn’t differentiate between High Powered DC (120 kW Supercharging) and Low Powered Rapid DC (50 kW Chademo). My DC:AC mix is 20K:3K, which obviously looks bad. But my 20K DC is actually 13K Supercharge:7K Rapid DC, so around 50% of my DC charging is Low Powered DC. But I’m still chargegated. So they may just be using total DC figures.

• Informative
Reactions: HostileHarry
Installed 2019.40.2.3 this morning.
Just finished charging.
Set it to charge to 100% but it only got to 98.3%
Cell avg is 4.176
That's pretty close to what it was a month ago, but certainly less. A month ago I got to 4.192v and fully to 100%.
I know this is about voltage capping, and that range isn't the talking point here, but...
100% range when new (2015 P85D) was 253 miles.
My 100% range when I purchased in May was 239 miles - 5.86% loss.
Just now at 98% it's 231 miles - 9.33% loss.

I'm hoping to be wrong, but expect that it's going to continue to get a little worse and a little worse.
Someone recently put it perfectly, a death by 1,000 cuts.
Screenshot_20191219-181102.jpg