Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any of your Tesla cars voltage capped or charge capped?
Both. I lost 40km of range (10%), regained 10km, so still 30km down. I mainly use the car for long-distance travel (I have a 325km commute twice a week). I need to supercharge en route and at anything over 20% indicated charge, find the car limited to 50kW , maybe 60kW, for a short time. It's made a big difference for me as it's lengthened my commute by 30 minutes each way. If I just did the urban commute and exclusively home charged then I may not have even noticed

"David,

Your battery is fine. Better than new. Thew best we have ever seen. We have tested it and can confirm yours is better than 99.975% of all Teslas on the road. Have you considered removing weight to improve range, driving half the speed limit, and other patronizing off topic suggestions that will hopefully distract you from the damage we did to your car that we aren't going to acknowledge?

Hugs and kisses,
Your Tesla service center."

Not quite word for word what they said to me, but pretty close and certainly pretty much the meaning. It’s hard enough to deal with what they have done to my car, but the underhand way in which they have done it, the misinformation they have given me like 'we have tested your battery and it is better than the majority of others of the same age and mileage' and the condescending suggestions about how lots of things affect range (when you have complained about capping not Range) giving the very clear impression of 'bless him, he doesn’t understand what he’s talking about', just rubs salt in the wound. It’s a bit like coming down in the morning to find not only have you been burgled, but the robbers decided it would be fun to spray paint the walls with graffiti.

Tesla has reduced my charge rate at the supercharger to an almost useless amount. At 30% battery I get 44 kW. That's it. I know for sure it's not the site that's limited because it's a V3 station, my battery is warm yet the BMS sets the max charge rate at this level (CAN bus says so).

Similar to my experience mentioned on Friday. Thanks for confirming the CAN bus data. These cars are crippled by the manufacturer and we do not know why.

Not to beat the gas tank analogy to death, but in terms of ownership experience it's a good one: the gas tank have been reduced in size in addition to the increase in fueling time. A twofold blow by the manufacturer with no owner's consent and with no coherent explanation.

Tesla has reduced my charge rate at the supercharger to an almost useless amount. At 30% battery I get 44 kW. That's it. I know for sure it's not the site that's limited because it's a V3 station, my battery is warm yet the BMS sets the max charge rate at this level (CAN bus says so).
On the plus side, that rate is pretty close to the rate I get using public Rapid DC Chargers, ie the ones every other EV owners have to use on journeys. They are 50 kW chargers but normally pump out about 40 kWs. I know this because I deliberately used Rapid chargers rather than Superchargers for the first 3.5 years of ownership, stupidly believing that would be a less stressful environment for my battery. I was relying on science not the brain dead decisions of Tesla executives. Not such a good idea according to Tesla who only seem interested in the total amount of DC charging. Shame they never mentioned that bit when I was buying my car.

Like many, this absolute fiasco has made me seriously consider whether I want to keep my car and stay with the brand. One of the drawbacks of changing brands, was the Supercharging benefits. So well done Tesla for removing one of the attractions of staying with you. Ironically chargegate makes the switch away from Tesla that much easier. I don’t know whether to be grateful or not. Probably not.

Last edited:
This is what showed up in my Inbox on Friday, but for some reason I only could find it in my spam folder:

/s
Sales Department said:
You might have noticed your car is FUBAR by us. But we have a fantastic news for you. For the ultimate upgrade, trade-in your current crippled car for a brand new Model S by spending another big chunk of your hard earned money. After all, you have done it once. Why not doing it again. Why to agonize any further. Go anywhere with even initial longer range — up to 373 miles for Model S. Did you know all new Model S come standard with free unlimited initial Supercharging, adaptive air suspension and Autopilot — enabling your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically under your active supervision? Add Full Self-Driving Capability for our latest Navigate on Autopilot and Smart Summon features, with more to come, we promise. Forget about your crippled car, it's FUBAR. It happens and it's part of ownership experience. There is always time to move on and forget about it. Visit us at a showroom near you or search our inventory online to find your match.
/s

On the plus side, that rate is pretty close to the rate I get using public Rapid DC Chargers, ie the ones every other EV owners have to use on journeys. They are 50 kW chargers but normally pump out about 40 kWs. I know this because I deliberately used Rapid chargers rather than Superchargers for the first 3.5 years of ownership, stupidly believing that would be a less stressful environment for my battery. I was relying on science not the brain dead decisions of Tesla executives. Not such a good idea according to Tesla who only seem interested in the total amount of DC charging. Shame they never mentioned that bit when I was buying my car.

Like many, this absolute fiasco has made me seriously consider whether I want to keep my car and stay with the brand. One of the drawbacks of changing brands, was the Supercharging benefits. So well done Tesla for removing one of the attractions of staying with you. Ironically chargegate makes the switch away from Tesla that much easier. I don’t know whether to be grateful or not. Probably not.
This was my thought exactly. The steps they've made to "save" whatever it is they think they're saving serves only to allow the competition to get that much closer in my eyes. Couple that with the horrendous customer service that doesn't look like it's going to get better and you've got a recipe for jumping ship for the next best option to come along... sooner than later too.

This was my thought exactly. The steps they've made to "save" whatever it is they think they're saving serves only to allow the competition to get that much closer in my eyes. Couple that with the horrendous customer service that doesn't look like it's going to get better and you've got a recipe for jumping ship for the next best option to come along... sooner than later too.
Unless you look at the Model 3 charging speeds and range, Tesla may be planning on installing the 2170 cell in the Model S/X if you look at the plaid iterations of the Model S. Tesla my be willing the sacrifice all cars with the 18650 cells. That may be the reasons the are switching to LG Chem in china and wanting to produce their own batteries here. I remember reading somewhere that Panasonic had large amounts of wasted cells in the beginning.

Unless you look at the Model 3 charging speeds and range, Tesla may be planning on installing the 2170 cell in the Model S/X if you look at the plaid iterations of the Model S. Tesla my be willing the sacrifice all cars with the 18650 cells. That may be the reasons the are switching to LG Chem in china and wanting to produce their own batteries here. I remember reading somewhere that Panasonic had large amounts of wasted cells in the beginning.

Elon said in no uncertain terms that the Model S (and by extension MX) would NOT get the 21750 cells. I thought that they should have but he was pretty adamant about not going that route. Most suspect there's something better in the wings but at this point, if they can't offer me even half-ass customer care I'm not even remotely interested in what the future lineup looks like. I'm already behind the curve with my dinosaur of a Tesla a P85D so I don't need the latest and greatest cutting edge tech nor do I want to pay for it. If one of these other manufacturers can offer something even close to what I'm currently driving coupled with the level of customer service they provide I'm gone. I'm willing to make a slight sacrifice for customer service based on what I've experienced from the best car I've ever owned. Big sad.

Vote with your wallet. Just refuse to buy another Tesla period. Just imagine the outrage the model 3 owners will have in four years when their updates go from upgrades to continuous down grades. There are a lot more of them than us early model S owners.

That's my current plan. They may also be outraged when the Tesla name is run so far into the ground that their used Model 3 with 50k miles they paid $50k for isn't worth $10k because there's options and nobody wants to deal with the Tesla BS. The train is headed right for a cliff and Tesla has shown zero signs of trying to change course. If anything, they're burying the throttle at this point.

Didn't he say supercharging would always be free forever, the company was going private, coast to coast autonomous was going to happen years ago, FSD would be released "6 months definitely" a lot longer more than 6 months ago, the model S would always get tech advancements first, MCU2 upgrades were available, and a thousand other things that were fictional stories made to sound like real advertisements for tesla? I also recall something about AP1 getting "come and find you anywhere on private property" summon and "onramp to offramp" but those things seem to require both a replacement car and an additional FSD purchase to actually own.

The one thing we know with certainty about things Elon says is we shouldn't believe them without a few grains of salt.

Just want to add that my IC is showing 70* (settled to 68) here in NC today and I'm still limited to only 36kw regen. I know it's not "capping" but it's related, and it completely changes the driving experience.

The problem with the zero regen EV is not the requirement to use the brakes to slow down. It's the feeling that the car is an ICE car in neutral.

Just want to add that my IC is showing 70* (settled to 68) here in NC today and I'm still limited to only 36kw regen. I know it's not "capping" but it's related, and it completely changes the driving experience.
The temp curve has been raised by 3* - In C your batteri has to be more than 23,5C (68F = 20C to get full regen. And without battery heater - and normal driving, you don't get that temp. anymore......

Then this:
Screenshot_20191226-151839.jpg

The problem with the zero regen EV is not the requirement to use the brakes to slow down. It's the feeling that the car is an ICE car in neutral.
And the added cost of replacing brakes more often, can't be cheap.
Seriously seems like every Tesla has been affected by regen gate. I swear that originally my car was ok with temperatures in mid 40's as the temp where regen was being limited.