Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few of you are really over the top... Let the lawsuit run its course. Yes, we are disappointed and we had hoped to be treated like family. Apparently that is not going to happen. Communication is substandard and misleading at best, and not usually very forthcoming.

We can point to many businesses that are cut from the same cloth. We can, as well, look at many automotive companies that are cast in that same mold. Does that make it OK? I would say no, as many of us hoped and thought that this company, Tesla, would rise above that..

Some of you have had some other negative experiences regarding issues not related to this thread. For myself, I have been mostly pleased with the service I have received. Exception for me is not getting quick, responsive, and effective communication.

I have witnessed a battery lawsuit with Nissan and it resulted in more protections for consumers. I still have 2 Leafs, with free replacement batteries as a result, and improved warranty. I didn't hope that Nissan would go out of business. I still hold out hope that they will build a long life and a true 300 + mile battery. I am sure that some Nissan enthusiasts are tired of me on the Nissan forum chiding Nissan for not having thermal cooling on the traction battery and my trying to warn newcomers about the short battery life.

In comparison to all others thus far, Tesla is a superior product with superior charging infrastructure. Even with these growing pains, the positives outweigh all other brands. I am still promoting the product. My Tesla is hobbled with #chargegate, #rapidgate and the other negative changes to the car that are related to those downgrades. It appears that the court will have to help me remedy these downgrades. That saddens me but is not surprising in the business world.

I believe Tesla has made a mistake in handling customers with what appears to be some HV battery or BMS fault. That said, I wholeheartedly believe that Tesla strives to put out the best product possible. Why wouldn't they? My thought is that some miscalculation and then discovery has taken place and I assert they are trying to fix those problems behind the curtain. Obviously, they have downgraded our cars for a reason and I would guess that downgrade is to help the HV battery in some way...

Tesla has said through the media, that very few cars are affected, but I am skeptical. To me, that makes a good case for new battery replacement for us supposedly few unlucky ones. In my opinion, they are preparing to fight as though it is a much larger problem looming than what has been presented.

I realize this is a major corporation but if if you will entertain that we are Guardians to a growing and evolving entity. The more customers that there are, the more customers will control the product. An out of business company cannot do anything for anyone but negative...

A few of you are really over the top... Let the lawsuit run its course. Yes, we are disappointed and we had hoped to be treated like family. Apparently that is not going to happen. Communication is substandard and misleading at best, and not usually very forthcoming.

We can point to many businesses that are cut from the same cloth. We can, as well, look at many automotive companies that are cast in that same mold. Does that make it OK? I would say no, as many of us hoped and thought that this company, Tesla, would rise above that..

Some of you have had some other negative experiences regarding issues not related to this thread. For myself, I have been mostly pleased with the service I have received. Exception for me is not getting quick, responsive, and effective communication.

I have witnessed a battery lawsuit with Nissan and it resulted in more protections for consumers. I still have 2 Leafs, with free replacement batteries as a result, and improved warranty. I didn't hope that Nissan would go out of business. I still hold out hope that they will build a long life and a true 300 + mile battery. I am sure that some Nissan enthusiasts are tired of me on the Nissan forum chiding Nissan for not having thermal cooling on the traction battery and my trying to warn newcomers about the short battery life.

In comparison to all others thus far, Tesla is a superior product with superior charging infrastructure. Even with these growing pains, the positives outweigh all other brands. I am still promoting the product. My Tesla is hobbled with #chargegate, #rapidgate and the other negative changes to the car that are related to those downgrades. It appears that the court will have to help me remedy these downgrades. That saddens me but is not surprising in the business world.

I believe Tesla has made a mistake in handling customers with what appears to be some HV battery or BMS fault. That said, I wholeheartedly believe that Tesla strives to put out the best product possible. Why wouldn't they? My thought is that some miscalculation and then discovery has taken place and I assert they are trying to fix those problems behind the curtain. Obviously, they have downgraded our cars for a reason and I would guess that downgrade is to help the HV battery in some way...

Tesla has said through the media, that very few cars are affected, but I am skeptical. To me, that makes a good case for new battery replacement for us supposedly few unlucky ones. In my opinion, they are preparing to fight as though it is a much larger problem looming than what has been presented.

I realize this is a major corporation but if if you will entertain that we are Guardians to a growing and evolving entity. The more customers that there are, the more customers will control the product. An out of business company cannot do anything for anyone but negative...
Why would they? Cost. They're main focus for many quarters now has been profit. Profit above all else. Customer service is a liability in their mind & their engineer brains can't grasp why it's important so... Gone.

For being super smart guys they sure are stupid.

Today, with the navigation destination set to the supercharger:

- The battery warming up icon was visible on the app
- Charged from 40% to 80%
- Outside temperature: 47F
- Charging speed: started at a pitiful 36kW steady to mid 20kW toward the end
- The cooling pump: Did not run at all

I just put 1500 miles on my v8 P85D over the holidays with lots of supercharger sessions. I hit the Hollister charger at 10% and stayed at 116KW up to 25%. Was down to 65KW at 54%. This is compared to 74KW at 54% when the car was brand new.

This is with my "battery needs service" message that comes from the WOT count being exceeded. So far it doesn't appear to have effected anything. Still good power, range, and charging speed.

Why would they? Cost. They're main focus for many quarters now has been profit. Profit above all else. Customer service is a liability in their mind & their engineer brains can't grasp why it's important so... Gone.

For being super smart guys they sure are stupid.
And look at what that has produced on Wall Street. Not so stupid... It is a hard balancing act.

I would say that you would have no major automotive company to go to that hasn't had problems, lawsuits, and cover-ups. You can find upset customers wherever you go. Tesla still has a 90% satisfied customer rating...

Last edited:
And look at what that has produced on Wall Street. Not so stupid... It is a hard balancing act.

I would say that you would have no major automotive company to go to that hasn't had problems, lawsuits, and cover-ups. You can find upset customers wherever you go. Tesla still has a 90% satisfied customer rating...
if Wall Street is your justification wait and see what ignoring safety and warranty do to wall street when class action and federal investigation turn that confidence into aversion. Tesla is burning it's future with an obsession on share price right now.

Long term the company needs to be able to attract buyers with confidence, not drive them away with downgrades while still in warranty and keeping fire prone batteries on the road secretly.

If Wall Street is a concern these issues need to be addressed.

Thanks for the previous Twitter hashtag suggestions. I'm beginning my Twitter campaign on #TeslaUnreliable. The goal is either 1) Fix our batteries under warantee, OR 2) Remove all the caps from the software, and let us go with the original specs.

In my posts, I'm including hashtags for #Tesla, #TeslaSupercharger, #BatterGate. Consider joining me via retweets, and / or your own content. Helping out? I'd like to follow you from @PeterGruhl.

Also, if you have suggestions for a better hashtag for the battery problems, let me know.

Thanks for the previous Twitter hashtag suggestions. I'm beginning my Twitter campaign on #TeslaUnreliable. The goal is either 1) Fix our batteries under warantee, OR 2) Remove all the caps from the software, and let us go with the original specs.

In my posts, I'm including hashtags for #Tesla, #TeslaSupercharger, #BatterGate. Consider joining me via retweets, and / or your own content. Helping out? I'd like to follow you from @PeterGruhl.

Also, if you have suggestions for a better hashtag for the battery problems, let me know.

Sorry, that's #BatteryGate!

I've been building hi power battery packs out of lithium 18650 cells for off road moto cross vehicles for nearly 7 years. Hi power as in pushing the cells to their limits...... (250 amps from a 72v nominal 2kwh battery pack, 20 cells in parallel and 20 cells in series with no active cooling)

Regen was only an issue when the state of charge was too high as you would be pushing too much charge into a nearly full battery, lower temps made this even harder on the battery. So I understand this scenario, what I don't understand is the BMS reducing regen when my battery is below 50% it makes no sense at all as the cell voltages would be nowhere near in danger of over volting or too many amps at too high a voltage.

Also any lithium cell can charge at 1C (1 x the size of the pack) so for my S85 charging at 85kw should be a breeze still, so why on earth reduce my regen at 9 Deg C at less than 50% battery to only 10 to 20 kw regen!

Let alone the stupid 50kw charging rates that slow to 30kw.... I mean this is the same battery that is used on the P85D that can push 700bhp! on discharge.

You know that was a joke right? Tesla didn’t actually send THAT email as posted.
I know, I got the real email about trading in my car. Along with how to extend my range.

Also we can be off the top of we want. Tesla had definitely made my car useless. Tesla has also had plenty of time to explain what is going on here.

Edit: Fixed my comment explaining my email from Tesla.

Last edited:

Looking at your previous posts here, I do not see you mentioning any sudden range loss (the topic of this thread), except a reference to "super slow supercharging" but with no data to quantify the super slow rate. It would be helpful to elaborate on your dissatisfaction with your car's battery situation in much more detail, as others have. Would you?

if Wall Street is your justification wait and see what ignoring safety and warranty do to wall street when class action and federal investigation turn that confidence into aversion. Tesla is burning it's future with an obsession on share price right now.

Long term the company needs to be able to attract buyers with confidence, not drive them away with downgrades while still in warranty and keeping fire prone batteries on the road secretly.

If Wall Street is a concern these issues need to be addressed.

Tesla has a history of not honoring warranties, I know this thread is about battery/charge gate but here are some things for perspective.

Bubbling screens - The screen of the IC and MCU would leak fluid and bubbles would form. This issue would be fixed under warranty but it should have been a recall.

Yellowing MCU screen - Tesla says it is cosmetic and will not fix under warranty, rolled out a UV light repair to fully cure the adhesive but that fix is not guaranteed. Should be a recall.

eMMC failure - Excessive writing to the eMMC chip causes the MCU to brick. This is a direct result of Tesla writing data to the eMMC chip, cost to repair is $2500 for a new MCU. This is a failure caused by Tesla. Should be a recall and a larger eMMC chip installed

Battery Pack - Potential battery pack fires due to high speed charging or age. It is why we are posting on this thread. Tesla nerfed range, charging speed androgen. Should be a recall under warranty.

Giving a look at this type of behavior do you really think Elon and the Executive board is going to step up and do the right thing? Our only recourses are to file class action lawsuits and complaints with the Federal Authorities. I agree 100% that class action and federal investigations will turn that confidence into aversion.

Bubbling screens - The screen of the IC and MCU would leak fluid and bubbles would form. This issue would be fixed under warranty but it should have been a recall.

Yellowing MCU screen - Tesla says it is cosmetic and will not fix under warranty, rolled out a UV light repair to fully cure the adhesive but that fix is not guaranteed. Should be a recall.

Why should those have been a recall? Recall are generally only for safety related issues, and neither of those are safety related, or really impair usability.

Even calling the eMMC a safety issue that requires a recall is pushing it. But at least it does impact functionality. (But Ford never recalled their poorly designed/failing HVAC controls that prevented proper operation of the defroster either.)