Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry I am not buying it, if that is the case then every Tesla that has 18650 batteries will be effected, not only the 85kw battery packs. It is too random that some cars are effected and some not with a multitude of variables such as mileage, year of the car, battery size, supercharging history or lack of, region, country and etc.

I thought it was confirmed it effects 85, the 60(true 60s) and 70 batteries. Basically every battery before the 90.

It's also possible that it WILL effect newer batteries eventually but that they either haven't reached that state yet or now never will if the BMS was mismanaging charging, regen, temperature range, etc.

I thought it was confirmed it effects 85, the 60(true 60s) and 70 batteries. Basically every battery before the 90.

It's also possible that it WILL effect newer batteries eventually but that they either haven't reached that state yet or now never will if the BMS was mismanaging charging, regen, temperature range, etc.

For further thought. there are companies that use Teslas as taxi services. Some of these companies supercharge exclusively with cars over 400,000 miles. Some of them have 300,000 on the original battery pack

• Love
Reactions: bhzmark
  • Informative
Reactions: Droschke
My Spring 2014 85 with 88k miles and lots of supercharging seems unaffected. Prior to update 100% = 243 miles. After the update 100% = 244 miles. Not sure which letter my battery pack is.

Just finished 4k mile road trip. Saw this thread prior and was afraid to update due to lack of charging in Evansville In. (Shakes fist at planned supercharger that isn't built year after year) At some point in the trip the update seems to have run anyway. Took note of what a full charge meant from my home charger before and after.

"Tesla assured Roadshow that this update wouldn't be noticed by most of its customers in operation and that in addition to improving safety in the long-term, it should also help improve the life of Tesla's already notoriously long-lived packs." Roadshow is a CNET news source.
Wait... What?!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy V
How else would you describe a reduction in supercharging speeds and storage capacity battery ? – I brought the vehicle with ‘Free for life super charging’ ….a mistake by Tesla perhaps?

I see your hypothesis. I was thinking only in terms of reduction in capacity. But that and a slower charging rate added together would possibly be a usage hindrance for some. I know it won't be for me. As you said, we bought our cars with the ‘Free for life supercharging’. In fact, the Free for life supercharging feature of our cars was heavily promoted by Tesla sales as a purchase incentive. Tesla can not renege on that.

For further thought. there are companies that use Teslas as taxi services. Some of these companies supercharge exclusively with cars over 400,000 miles. Some of them have 300,000 on the original battery pack

Correct, but there is a good chance that those cars are probably impacted too if they did the software update, and that's assuming they're still on the road. We just do not know.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and Blu Zap
This is why my car sits on a null wifi hotspot and I can't use the app any more for remote access. I don't even want the update staged and it appears they won't download updates while the car is in motion.

I have had this happen: I believe it was 2012.12.1.1: While driving the car's UI was acting a little funny, so I rebooted it and when it finished I had the update clock appear. After another half an hour or so I stopped (over the border in your country I might add) and updated the car via cellular. This was the first update that downloaded not between 1-3 am.

I'm not affected and I supercharge the heck out of my car, especially in the last 2 years. With 217k miles and the majority of it through superchargers I don't think the limitation is targeted at cars that use superchargers a lot.

And I believe I read in this thread there are some who have supercharged very little and yet their range has been curtailed. So what is the pattern? or is this like a battery made on Monday morning or Friday afternoon story?

"Tesla assured Roadshow that this update wouldn't be noticed by most of its customers in operation and that in addition to improving safety in the long-term, it should also help improve the life of Tesla's already notoriously long-lived packs." Roadshow is a CNET news source.
Wait... What?!!

they are developing a software load that would help minimize the range impact
Am I cynical in thinking that this probably means "make it less noticeable so people complain less"?

Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself for being cynical.

• Funny
BUT if you read the story correctly on the Taxis, I recall at least one full warranty of entire battery and I seem to recall maybe tow replacements to get to the 400-500,000 mark.

• Informative

I really wanted to say:

BUT if I read the story correctly on the Taxis, I recall at least one full warranty of entire battery and I seem to recall maybe two replacements on one of those to get to the 400-500,000 mark.

My 70D that was upgraded to 75D showroom model has lost 9% in 34,000 miles. 259-234/259=9.6% if my math is correct. Delta Change I think.

I don't follow any rules, I never try to do the same thing twice, as this seems to be a grand experiment anyway. Nobody actually seems to know what is ideal in reality.

I can say the 85s batteries seem much more robust. I use my car every day. I will say with the proliferation of charging on trips this 9% is not a big deal but its concerning me in 3 years and this mileage.

I am at least 3 software updates back to Dec 2018 running 2018.50.6 4ec03ed, logs burning, games etc well, I'm not interested. I am interested in Higher Rate of CHARGE WHILE TRAVELING THOUGH. SO that update will contain the logs and games as I will have to succumb at some point.

In June 2018 Tesla upgraded to Version 9 lost 6-8 miles full charge range in that one moment. Why?

I do all these things, of course not all of them all the time.
"A charged Tesla is a happy Tesla" HPWC 40 AMPS Daily.
I supercharge to 80-90%
I charge to the top and travel immediately. HPWC
I supercharge to the top and travel immediately.
I hit and run supercharge for 20 minutes on trips (this is the best and really only need 60%-70% of this battery for this to work).
I Charge at work Mobile Charge Cord 40 AMPS 208V Commercial three phase. Every other week if it needs it.
I destination Charge 40-80 AMPS at hotels, also many at 208V I have seen.
I Public Charge if I really need it and can afford the time its charging till done 80-90%
Rarely 110V Charge maybe twice since I bought the car. Or leaving the car while on Vacation. Found it really unnecessary even in hot garage.
I run it all the way down to 20-25 miles of range and HPWC 40 amps or Supercharge.

Battery has never been lower than 15 miles of range twice after a long trip of multiple sessions Dest. and Supercharge.

I've tried balancing technique if I'm doing that right?

SO whats causing it?
What could I be doing wrong if anything.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
And I believe I read in this thread there are some who have supercharged very little and yet their range has been curtailed. So what is the pattern? or is this like a battery made on Monday morning or Friday afternoon story?

What Jason said is what stood out to me as well looking at the data. One cell group was visibly lower than all the others. That can have many reasons. Impossible to tell. But since the groups are connected in series, the weakest group determines the capacity for the entire pack. Once that group is empty you have to stop discharging regardless what the other groups have left.

The odd part is Tesla setting the top limit lower. That doesn't affect normal use and driving at all. It just prevents the battery from being charged all the way. It prevents a situation that happens very rarely anyways. Yet the lower range number stares the owner in the face every day. It's a very noticeable and negative experience for the owner (lost range) yet it prevents only very rare moments (owners charging to 100 %). It does not make a lot of sense to me.

The fact that affected cars don't seem to have a common history in terms of use or charging habits, I'd say the most likely cause is a production defect that took time to show up fully.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V
Can you elaborate?

That doesn't affect normal use and driving at all. It just prevents the battery from being charged all the way. It prevents a situation that happens very rarely anyways. ...

It affects my normal use in that it is a performance reduction.
90% SOC isn’t 90% anymore, let alone 100% not being 100%.