Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've lost 5 miles of rated range within several months of going from v8 to v10 when I did the MCU upgrade. Supercharging session times increased 60%.

Capture.JPG

I partly mitigate chargegate by charging to 100% before every trip rather than just the amount I need to get to the first supercharger. I also don't bother moving during a long trip when we stop to eat at a restaurant. I used to get up from the table to move the car when I had enough to get to the next supercharger. Now I just let it sit there the entire time since it would take hours to hit an actual 100%. I often end up being able to skip the next charger because I let it sit there getting almost full during out one sit down meal each day during long trips.

I'm certain this ends up being much harder on the battery but Tesla has forced me to into this anti-pattern behavior.

I've lost 5 miles of rated range within several months of going from v8 to v10 when I did the MCU upgrade. Supercharging session times increased 60%.

View attachment 749751

I partly mitigate chargegate by charging to 100% before every trip rather than just the amount I need to get to the first supercharger. I also don't bother moving during a long trip when we stop to eat at a restaurant. I used to get up from the table to move the car when I had enough to get to the next supercharger. Now I just let it sit there the entire time since it would take hours to hit an actual 100%. I often end up being able to skip the next charger because I let it sit there getting almost full during out one sit down meal each day during long trips.

I'm certain this ends up being much harder on the battery but Tesla has forced me to into this anti-pattern behavior.
You are doing much better than me. My 100% it at 207 rated miles. Of course Tesla says everything is normal. Now they say its degradation that was not detected prior to the batterygate update due to too much DC charging. Still waiting (6 months and counting) for them to send me DATED documents where they warn that too much DC chargng would cause undetected degradation.
When I bought my model S85, I made it clear that where I live there would be no AC charging due to infrastructure issues with PG&E (which as of 6 months ago is now rectified. Now I primarily AC charge at 30 amp via J1772 at work). They told me it was no issue because the BMS would protect the battery. They re-iterated this several times during service visits prior to the Evil Update.

I still want to know...
IF the battery is so healthy, then why the charging slowdown and why the 'suddenly noticed degradation'? All I get from them is that its to protect the battery.
So WHY is the issue affecting primarily the S85 (and those using the same model battery) ??? What are they protecting it FROM? Everything is supposed to be FINE.
Perhaps a defect in workmanship (firmware programming), which would be covered by ANY other manufacturer as out of our control? Hmmm....
They REALLY need to come clean and make things RIGHT for the "few" who are still affected (their words, not mine).

You are doing much better than me. My 100% it at 207 rated miles. Of course Tesla says everything is normal. Now they say its degradation that was not detected prior to the batterygate update due to too much DC charging. Still waiting (6 months and counting) for them to send me DATED documents where they warn that too much DC chargng would cause undetected degradation.
When I bought my model S85, I made it clear that where I live there would be no AC charging due to infrastructure issues with PG&E (which as of 6 months ago is now rectified. Now I primarily AC charge at 30 amp via J1772 at work). They told me it was no issue because the BMS would protect the battery. They re-iterated this several times during service visits prior to the Evil Update.

I still want to know...
IF the battery is so healthy, then why the charging slowdown and why the 'suddenly noticed degradation'? All I get from them is that its to protect the battery.
So WHY is the issue affecting primarily the S85 (and those using the same model battery) ??? What are they protecting it FROM? Everything is supposed to be FINE.
Perhaps a defect in workmanship (firmware programming), which would be covered by ANY other manufacturer as out of our control? Hmmm....
They REALLY need to come clean and make things RIGHT for the "few" who are still affected (their words, not mine).

this is all normal corporate behaviour. It will take 10-15 years until the government will control this issue by regulating things better.

this is all normal corporate behaviour. It will take 10-15 years until the government will control this issue by regulating things better.
IF it affects as FEW owners as Tesla says, it would have been so much better (and cheaper) to come clean with them and replace the batteries of the FEW that have not been restored (their words), rather than risk the negative publicity.

IF it affects as FEW owners as Tesla says, it would have been so much better (and cheaper) to come clean with them and replace the batteries of the FEW that have not been restored (their words), rather than risk the negative publicity.

i wonder if Tesla figured that it would attract too much media attention to replace the batteries for so many old S85s.
Or they just dont want to get involved with the cost. The reality is that unless they construct a new 85 pack the replacement packs will have similar behaviour later in life.

i wonder if Tesla figured that it would attract too much media attention to replace the batteries for so many old S85s.
Or they just dont want to get involved with the cost. The reality is that unless they construct a new 85 pack the replacement packs will have similar behaviour later in life.
Except that in the media, and in the settlement comments, they say very FEW were affected, and that MOST have been restored. Cannot be that many if they are saying it in the settlement (court documents) :p

Few affected means not much negative publicity. I'm sure they are taking the cheapest way out.

So I was playing around with app called Stats and;
2017 x75D with 65k miles;

100% rated is around 205mi (was as low as 202 a few months back...I see a little improvement on Battery Health
89% of similar cars have better range than me. Average is 217 or 8 percent degradation

69KWH battery (I compute closer to 65kwh as per post#1)

Attachments

• IMG_2774.PNG
    IMG_2774.PNG
    396 KB · Views: 51
  • Informative
Reactions: Droschke

100% rated is around 205mi (was as low as 202 a few months back...I see a little improvement on Battery Health
89% of similar cars have better range than me. Average is 217 or 8 percent degradation

But you charge over 100Kw at a SuC I assume.

Degradation will be less of a factor as more charging stations get added.

Plus, 3ish years to go on your pack warranty...maybe a module will go soon, and you will get a better pack..

But you charge over 100Kw at a SuC I assume.

Degradation will be less of a factor as more charging stations get added.

Plus, 3ish years to go on your pack warranty...maybe a module will go soon, and you will get a better pack..
Yes my charge curve is good ( was restored a few months back) I start at 115kw and taper linearly down as expected...also the time to charge estimate is now correct (was off for most of last year).

I do a lot of 0-100 percent use profiles; mostly with Level 2 though.

I wish we would get the BOLT treatment; I am getting a new pack on my '19 with 31k miles and a new warranty....but that is because all BOLTs have a recall.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne

My 2016 S75 is almost exactly as degraded as yours on a percentage of new basis (currently 215 miles vs rated new of 249).

Last night, while at work, I had my 2013 S85 (still infected with BatteryGate) plugged into 30 Amp J1772 charging. I had it set to 90% as usual, which would stop the charge at 187 miles. It stopped at 186 miles, which it has done before. I have been nowhere near a supercharger in months.
I went out to the car to leave, and noticed that it had only 183 miles. There was a warning pop-up that said something like "Warning: Charging beyond daily limit could reduce the battery" or something like that. It asked me if I want to set it to the daily limit. I said yes. My new 90% limit is 183 miles now according to the app.

Impossible to see what the charge limit in the car is now, since I am at FW 2021.44.25.2 (V11) which seems to have removed the ability to set or even view the charge limit in the car. Now the only way to set it is via the app :)
I wonder what happens if someone is using a heavily used charger and gets the charge to 80% warning, and is unable to set it higher if needed if their phone does not have service?
Definitely VERY lame of an idea. Charge Gate is NOT over folks.

Impossible to see what the charge limit in the car is now, since I am at FW 2021.44.25.2 (V11) which seems to have removed the ability to set or even view the charge limit in the car. Now the only way to set it is via the app

I hope this is a bug. Otherwise, how do you even set the charge limit you need if your phone does not have Internet connectivity at a supercharger station?

I hope this is a bug. Otherwise, how do you even set the charge limit you need if your phone does not have Internet connectivity at a supercharger station?
That's the million dollar question. I know of 2 superchargers that are always busy (80% warning) that even the car says I need 92% on one and 85% on the other to reach the next one, and one of those areas have constant cellular outages with Verizon. Late night, there are NO businesses open to jack WIFI from until after 9:00 AM.
VERY short sighted of Tesla :(

• Informative
That's the million dollar question. I know of 2 superchargers that are always busy (80% warning) that even the car says I need 92% on one and 85% on the other to reach the next one, and one of those areas have constant cellular outages with Verizon. Late night, there are NO businesses open to jack WIFI from until after 9:00 AM.
VERY short sighted of Tesla :(
Update 2021.44.30.6 has fixed this issue. Updated last night. Looks too dumbed down, but works :)
From the notes on notateslaapp.com:
Bugfixes:
In some pre-2021 Model S and Model X vehicles, various charging options weren't available while charging.
You can now adjust charge current and make adjustments to Scheduled Departure or Scheduled Charging options.

Update 2021.44.30.6 has fixed this issue. Updated last night. Looks too dumbed down, but works :)
From the notes on notateslaapp.com:
Bugfixes:
In some pre-2021 Model S and Model X vehicles, various charging options weren't available while charging.
You can now adjust charge current and make adjustments to Scheduled Departure or Scheduled Charging options.

I just finished downloading this update. It is true, the charging picture of the battery with the adjustable charge level now appears under the "Charging" sub header. Unfortunately, to adjust the charge level, one must press on the battery to move the limitation up or down. The arrow does not slide it like before. Fine tuning the charge level is more difficult with this technique.

• Informative
I just finished downloading this update. It is true, the charging picture of the battery with the adjustable charge level now appears under the "Charging" sub header. Unfortunately, to adjust the charge level, one must press on the battery to move the limitation up or down. The arrow does not slide it like before. Fine tuning the charge level is more difficult with this technique.
VERY.

For me it takes about 3 hours to go from 10% to 100% so if i am doing something i just set it to 100% and leave it because it takes so long I'll never finish after it does. My charge curve is still *sugar* i get up to 127kW for a moment but it drops quickly. I used to get 72kW at 50% and now its 51kW at 50%