Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a response from Tesla via email, they basically told me all is fine. Put it through Google Translate...

A new firmware was loaded on your car during the previous service visit. Each new firmware calculates a step better which range can actually be driven with the status of the battery. This is based on both battery degradation, your own driving style and environmental factors such as weather and traffic. The fact that you see in your app that you can drive 40 kilometers less with a full battery does not mean that you have actually lost 40 kilometers of range; only that the calculation has been made better, so that you are less likely to lose more than 1 kilometer range per kilometer driven.

So that’s it....

Again, this has NOTHING to do with range calculation. Owners seeing this issue are seeing it because their battery will not charge to full capacity even though the display is lying and says 100%. Challenge Tesla to explain why your cell voltage doesn't show 4.2 volts fully charged!!!!

That said, the canbus log could show less than 4.2 volts when full charged and it could be NOT software related. Why? The voltage displayed is really the average of each cell in the string(there are 96 strings on an 85 battery). If cells are blown, their fuses close and bypass the battery and you'll get a lower voltage on the string.

Defective (shorted) cells within a group (parallel) would result in the fuses *opening* and removing them from the group. This has no impact on voltage as the other cells of the same group will still charge to 4.2 (or 4.09 after this update). There is no mechanism to 'close' (short) / bypass anything around an entire faulty group. Point being the scenario you describe as the only other hypothetical non-software reason to reduce pack voltage without reducing group voltages is not even possible :).

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
This is a keeper:

"The fact that you see in your app that you can drive 40 kilometers less with a full battery does not mean that you have actually lost 40 kilometers of range; only that the calculation has been made better, so that you are less likely to lose more than 1 kilometer range per kilometer driven."

On Edit:

To the moderator:
Is there a place in the forum for the "most bizarre" that this statement can move to? I was thinking about under the "Best Posts" tab, but there is nothing "Best" about this one.

Last edited:
I looked at the BMS data from one affected car. The capacity is reduced. This has nothing to do with 'how range is calculated'. Gosh I wish Tesla employees would not put out su h nonsense. The rated range and ideal range (typical) has never changed in any software update and it has never adjusted to driving style!

I looked at the BMS data from one affected car. The capacity is reduced. This has nothing to do with 'how range is calculated'. Gosh I wish Tesla employees would not put out su h nonsense. The rated range and ideal range (typical) has never changed in any software update and it has never adjusted to driving style!

If they wanted to be even sneakier about it, they'd actually lie about the rated range too. You'd charge to indicated 100% and still see the same rated range but you'd actually get less because the battery was really only charged to 90% (4.08 volts) instead of 4.2 volts.

Reactions: Droschke
If cells are blown, their fuses close and bypass the battery and you'll get a lower voltage on the string.

In either case, they're either preventing you from charging to 4.2 volts via software or you have blown cells enough to result in less voltage in which case it's not normal degradation.

Excellent point. Furthermore, is it really possible the cells just decided suddenly to go bad during the month of May and after an update?

"the calculation has been made better, so that you are less likely to lose more than 1 kilometer range per kilometer driven." ;)

Right? That email is claiming that they've updated the range display from RATED MILES (aka, a meter), to estimated miles (aka, a guess-o-meter). I call bullshit on that, as that would be a major change for how Tesla displays this information in their vehicles. Also, that doesn't explain why it doesn't charge to 4.2 volts per cell anymore.

Right? That email is claiming that they've updated the range display from RATED MILES (aka, a meter), to estimated miles (aka, a guess-o-meter). I call bullshit on that, as that would be a major change for how Tesla displays this information in their vehicles. Also, that doesn't explain why it doesn't charge to 4.2 volts per cell anymore.

Absolutely. I always wonder who (at which caliber/knowledge_capacity) writes these responses! Are they canned responses with little modification to fit the need or something completely made up by these folks to mute the requests?

Absolutely. I always wonder who (at which caliber/knowledge_capacity) writes these responses! Are they canned responses with little modification to fit the need or something completely made up by these folks to mute the requests?

I would hope canned responses would at least be accurate. I know this particular message was translated into English, but several of the emails I've seen contained very poor grammar and contained inaccurate and/or false information.

This is a keeper:

"The fact that you see in your app that you can drive 40 kilometers less with a full battery does not mean that you have actually lost 40 kilometers of range; only that the calculation has been made better, so that you are less likely to lose more than 1 kilometer range per kilometer driven."

On Edit:

To the moderator:
Is there a place in the forum for the "most bizarre" that this statement can move to? I was thinking about under the "Best Posts" tab, but there is nothing "Best" about this one.

Absolutely agree. That is so bizarre that I bet it´s coming from the mothership. The filed on this catchphrase at least a week.
First autism and silence, now gaslighting.
The whole PR department.
time to get a class action running.

I had a friend read my battery SOC on Tuesday. The variation was 11mv between cells. His 2014 S85 with 207,000mikes has 8mv delta.
But the data that jumped out was the the useful capacity was 60.x kWh plus 4 kWh safety.
I too will have my own CANBUS reader tomorrow.
I am trying to SC to 100% (from 51%) as i eat my lunch now.

Another observation after the 2019.16 software update on my MS 2014 (with 142k miles) is that the outside temperature gauge keeps showing variation to the real outside temperature. So for example: Teslafi says the weather is 13.1 deg C (on the left on Teslafi, this temperature is the same as my iPhone tells me it really is) and outside temperature being displayed 26.3 deg C (on right on Teslafi). During a few recent trips the actual outside temperature being displayed on the screen can fluctuate by 10 deg C in less than 1 mile of driving. I feel it is trying to cool the battery during the driving so much it will actually make the outside temperature gauge read a much higher temperature. PS I reported my battery miles lost to Tesla and got a similar response as some replies above yesterday. My Remote S app shows I have got 64.7 kWh battery left (I have seen quotes that it had 77 kWh usable when new) so a 16% loss so far.

I have also contacted Electrek's Frederic Lambert on this. He is expecting a reply from Tesla to inquires over the last few days.

Please make sure you've armed them with enough BS rebuttal ammunition so that they don't just accept Tesla's stock "more accurate calculation" bogus answer. Make sure they know that cars are no longer charging up to 4.2 volts at 100% like they were before the software update and that a car that charges to only 3.9 volts is NOT 100% charged even if the display says it is.

Please make sure you've armed them with enough BS rebuttal ammunition so that they don't just accept Tesla's stock "more accurate calculation" bogus answer. Make sure they know that cars are no longer charging up to 4.2 volts at 100% like they were before the software update and that a car that charges to only 3.9 volts is NOT 100% charged even if the display says it is.
Yep... I have sent him the graphs and hard data and also pointed him to this thread!