Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All good points. Tesla has a policy of loaner batteries in place already, I wonder why they haven't thought of that and replaced batteries that need repair over extended periods of time? It seems like loaning batteries while the damaged ones are in repair would be smarter than the corporate suicide decision to defend theft in court, so I wonder why they didn't think of what you just thought of? The loaner policy was popular and helps sell more cars but the theft policy will stop people from ever considering a Tesla, so someone wasn't listening to you!
Probably because fixing batteries isn’t going to be cheap, and replacement batteries aren’t cheap either. Neutering is free.

From what I understand the essential problem is thermal management of the battery pack as it is recharged. The 85kwh has s piping through the pack which is not that efficient and may leak.
With all due respect, there is no evidence to support this claim. Tesla has also evolved the cooling design in subsequent packs.

It's a shame that Tesla doesn't, you know, say anything whatsoever to put a stop to all this supposition for why their cars keep exploding and getting downgraded.
Oh come on. Tesla vehicles do not "keep exploding". As far as we are aware, there are fewer than 10 vehicles where the batteries caught fire while parked out of a fleet of 700,000 cars. I get that you don't like what's happening and that you disagree with Tesla's approach, but please don't let that push you into the Twilight Zone of alternative facts. I think you need to take a deep breath.

What would be helpful is an official explanation from Tesla, it shouldn't be up to other users to clarify what has happened. I don't doubt that Tesla is trying to rectify the problem, hopefully, the present situation isn't 'the solution'.
Tesla has given an official explanation to Elektrek and others. You can obtain an official explanation from Tesla simply by contacting your local service center. You may not like the explanation, but it's out there and available to everyone.

I absolutely agree with your good observation. I'm not surprised by what you are asserting since not many older model S cars have received V10.
I received v10 and several updates. My 2013 P85 is currently on 2019.32.12.2. #chargegate: yes, #batterygate: no.

If you read the thread on the eMMC failures you will note that version 10 writes to the eMMC for every little change, such as, for example, each time your seat moves from your memory setting to the easy entry setting.
I don't believe this is unique to v10. All prior versions did this as well.

Probably because fixing batteries isn’t going to be cheap, and replacement batteries aren’t cheap either. Neutering is free.

Agree. Definitely running the warranty out the clock.

If you put any value in what @wk057 said regarding this issue, shouldn't you should put equal value in his statement that Tesla is not being motivated by financial considerations?

Last edited:
So while I await for my replacement Jetpack, I tried to get my Tesla on an old wrt54g lying around. As soon as I disconnect the internet from that router, the Tesla falls off and goes back to LTE with 5 to 10 minutes :(

My Jetpack arrives Friday :(

I think I'm going to pull the main fuse and disconnect the 12 volt battery and leave it completely dead until I get it.

If you put any value in what @wk057 said regarding this issue, shouldn't you should put equal value in his statement that Tesla is not being motivated by financial considerations?
His posts contradict each other. He said too much, and now is trying to reel it back in.

The chances of Tesla doing this to piss of current customers for no financial gain, is as close to zero as one can get.

So while I await for my replacement Jetpack, I tried to get my Tesla on an old wrt54g lying around. As soon as I disconnect the internet from that router, the Tesla falls off and goes back to LTE with 5 to 10 minutes :(

My Jetpack arrives Friday :(

I think I'm going to pull the main fuse and disconnect the 12 volt battery and leave it completely dead until I get it.
Better hurry, as I’m sure they monitor this thread like a hawk monitors a hay field.

His posts contradict each other. He said too much, and now is trying to reel it back in.

The chances of Tesla doing this to piss of current customers for no financial gain, is as close to zero as one can get.
I think you're right. However, every time I think that Tesla would never do/not do something out of obstinance, spite, or malice I just remind myself that we still don't have waypoints.

With all due respect, there is no evidence to support this claim. Tesla has also evolved the cooling design in subsequent packs.

Oh come on. Tesla vehicles do not "keep exploding". As far as we are aware, there are fewer than 10 vehicles where the batteries caught fire while parked out of a fleet of 700,000 cars. I get that you don't like what's happening and that you disagree with Tesla's approach, but please don't let that push you into the Twilight Zone of alternative facts. I think you need to take a deep breath.
Takata airbag recall was prompted from 16 deaths and 250 injuries in 56 MILLION defective airbags.

Only by the people awakening in San Francisco at 1:30 AM when their car battery burst into flames did they survive.

To put Takata's numbers in perspective, GM is still suing the US government to get exemptions from recalling their vehicles because they can't reproduce a failure in testing... Because they can't afford to test enough airbags to reach a scientific significance. Tesla's pyrotechnic battery failure rate is several orders of magnitude higher than Takata's airbag failure rate.

All good points. Tesla has a policy of loaner batteries in place already, I wonder why they haven't thought of that and replaced batteries that need repair over extended periods of time? It seems like loaning batteries while the damaged ones are in repair would be smarter than the corporate suicide decision to defend theft in court, so I wonder why they didn't think of what you just thought of? The loaner policy was popular and helps sell more cars but the theft policy will stop people from ever considering a Tesla, so someone wasn't listening to you!
I have a loaner battery that they haven't replaced in over two years! I am still working on getting them to replace this rapidgate and chargegate loaner...

Tesla has given an official explanation to Elektrek and others. You can obtain an official explanation from Tesla simply by contacting your local service center. You may not like the explanation, but it's out there and available to everyone.
Is it out there? Whenever I have asked Tesla for an explanation, all I have ever had was “its for the longevity of the battery”. Well, for me that sounds like what they are trying to achieve, not why they decided to take action in the first place. They have resolutely refused to answer why. So if they have given you an answer, I would love to hear what they said.

In answer to my question 'why me and not others' they replied because of my DC charging history. Well that sounds like a load of old baloney as well as ALL charging ends up as DC charging. It’s the only way to get electricity into a DC battery.