Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my car in to get the onboard charger replaced (ESA) and asked that they check out my range losses. My 100% dropped from ~240 to 209, just in the past few months, and I suspected it was software related. During service, I saw two software updates happen on the mobile app. The first one was to push firmware to update the replacement charger. The second one, was an updated firmware: 2019.32.12.3 1b89dd1. The service adviser said they checked it and it now charges properly. My 100% as of this evening is 236 (hooray!)

I know it's a 6yo battery pack and I expect it to degrade, but to lose over 20% range in a short amount of time was pretty disheartening. I'm glad it's back to a more realistic number.

OK, apparently your experience is different than mine. My legal folks tell me I don't get to pick and choose which sentences are important and which ones are not in a contract. Every sentence, every word matters. Someone is going to get to decide what all those words mean in their totality.

In court, ambiguities, confusion, and required interpretation, of language, by the court, is generally decided against the maker of the document, as the maker had the ability to write the document any way they chose to.

But in the operative sentence the word gradual isn't used. They could have used it, but they didn't. So I didn't quote it. And anyway condition Z hitting the triggering limit may have arose gradually. What point are you trying to make? It is common in most warranties that they cover manufacturing defects but do not cover product problems that arise from usage.

So the point still remains: is condition Z hitting the triggering limit a battery malfunction or defect, or is it from usage?

And by the way, if Condition Z is or is indicative of some species of lithium plating it will almost certainly be wear and thus not warrantable.

Lithium plating can be hard to detect and perhaps the new software that now measures Condition Z and found a new way to detect the plating -- plating that lithium batteries have as a known artifact of usage.

Another question is whether the software change is a temporary or permanent mitigation of the plating or whether it is a A/B testing of various strategies to try to mitigate.

It's odd that the affected parties aren't more intellectually curious about these questions. I would be if I were affected, and I am a little curious even though I am not affected.
What is upsetting is that it occurred suddenly without warning or explanation, and it left us skeptical and concerned about what might happen next if, contrary to a pattern over years, 30 miles of range disappears overnight.

We certainly are "intellectually curious". One of the greatest complaints here has been that Tesla has not been forthcoming with ANY technical explanation of what they have done and why they have done it. "Abundance of caution" is so vague as to be ominous.

Tesla offered the Model S with numerous fitness for use qualities, and specifically assurances of batteries managed no-worry for long life and dependability, warranted for 8 years and unlimited miles. It supported those claims and warranties for years until suddenly not.

If the product is unable to meet it's performance claims in normal usage due to a materials failure it is an engineering fault, a design flaw that is the responsibility of the manufacturer to remedy. There are many, and sometimes very very expensive examples of that, some legally forced, and some to maintain a business reputation to support continued access to the marketplace.

Tesla will find that it has to resolve this issue for it's customers one way or another.

Sorry I forgot to add total charge % .... it’s around the 223 miles area at 100% charge

Not sure what has happened to the quote that was referring the US month and year door date sticker. Small point but here in UK we do not have the month and year date sticker. Annoyingly it is quite difficult for us to work out month of manufacture - unless anyone knows an easy VIN check reference?

We are you in UK? You would need to check CANbus data to see what is going on with your battery. DId you state year, exact model, mileage? Did you buy from Tesla?

James

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
I had my car in to get the onboard charger replaced (ESA) and asked that they check out my range losses. My 100% dropped from ~240 to 209, just in the past few months, and I suspected it was software related. During service, I saw two software updates happen on the mobile app. The first one was to push firmware to update the replacement charger. The second one, was an updated firmware: 2019.32.12.3 1b89dd1. The service adviser said they checked it and it now charges properly. My 100% as of this evening is 236 (hooray!)

I know it's a 6yo battery pack and I expect it to degrade, but to lose over 20% range in a short amount of time was pretty disheartening. I'm glad it's back to a more realistic number.
That is excellent news. Your sudden loss sounds exactly like a batterygate loss. I’m not sure my deduction is that 2019.32.12.3 has lifted the batterygate restrictions. I am on 32.12.8 and still have a capped battery (now at 4.1V rather than the original 4.2V). But I am struggling to come up with a logical or credible theory. But who cares! Great news you got your range back.

Reactions: VT_EE and DJRas
I think you made a typing error. You say Nominal full pack of 74.5 and Usable full pack of 75.5. I believe you meant Usable full pack of 70.5 .
If that is the case then you are likely NOT affected and what you are seeing is normal degradation. I had about 68.2 kWh Usable before May 15. Now I have 60.0.

But the way to KNOW is to look at the max voltage at 100%. If it is not close to 4.2 volts (say above 4.18) then you indeed are capped

Please report that number because what we have seen is the cap is set to something below 4.1 volts on all of the affected cars.

Thank you very much for recognizing the work we all have been doing.

Oppss... sorry. Yes that was obviously a typo.
I meant to say Usable full pack of 70.5.

I will check cell voltage next time i charge to 100% and will report back.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke and DJRas

This is a very good news and I'm very glad for you. You mentioned your battery was capped by 31 miles and it was reversed (by -4) at the SC by 2019.32.12.3.

I wonder what was different in your case!

Reactions: DJRas
My first thought was Krugerands,

Closely followed by a Magnum.

Now, your post will be moved to Snippiness because you show insensitivity toward Krugerands and don't like Magnum :rolleyes:. Some can not take jokes, you know!

On Edit: I still don't understand why @DJP31's post was moved to Snippiness. The poster didn't even get the chance to stick around long enough to get his question answered (if ever so!).

Last edited:
Reactions: raphy3
4E4936CA-2CD3-4B40-B041-F4DE4227E94B.jpeg
I tend to take a relaxed view.

Responding to @cpa
I think you are way out over your skis. And you guys who “loved” the post... did you really think about it?

And then in another post
I try to express my views as views, not absolutes and I get annoyed when others don’t extend the same courtesy.

@tomas - Looks to me you have expressed your views as "absolutes" toward @cpa's thoughtful post. That seems annoying.

On Edit: I still don't understand why @DJP31's post was moved to Snippiness. The poster didn't even get the chance to stick around long enough to get his question answered (if ever so!).

I’m still here :) and grateful for your post questioning the reason for it’s removal. I’ve found it in the snippy section and reported it myself asking why it was removed. No idea if I’ll get a response.

Reactions: Guy V and Droschke