Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have alway interpreted that bit about "if you do not follow the specific instructions and recommendations regarding the use and operation of the vehicle" to be broad enough that it could include FW updates.
Yes, but lets put it another way.
I've been adamant about keeping Firmware 8.1 on my 90D. When it goes in for service, I always say please don't update firmware unless necessary.
And I pick up my 90D monday. Firmware is not updated, and was told they see no reason to update it as everything is working properly.

OK, two more graphs--one at 95% (the highest it would charge last night) and again at 90% after driving around for a bit. Similar "bad" modules as the graphs I posted earlier pics (I have not had the time to go see if the are the exact same modules), although by the time I hit 90%, the modules had evened out. I kinda find that odd, because yesterday, at 73% I had similar unevenness to the 95% graph today. Perhaps there is some balancing that happens when you drive? Anyway, I'll let the car sit all day and check again and see what happens.

BTW 94%, Vmax was 4.12 -- so not sure what that means for cappiness of the pack.

IMG_0153.PNG IMG_0155.PNG IMG_0154.PNG

I have alway interpreted that bit about "if you do not follow the specific instructions and recommendations regarding the use and operation of the vehicle" to be broad enough that it could include FW updates.

I’d suggest the fact that updates are included in new car warranty wordings says that Tesla don’t think the original wording was sufficient.

I've been adamant about keeping Firmware 8.1 on my 90D. When it goes in for service, I always say please don't update firmware unless necessary.
And I pick up my 90D monday. Firmware is not updated, and was told they see no reason to update it as everything is working properly.

Don't disagree with you, but if someone is in high-weasel mode, I can see them trying to make the case that you voided the warranty by not downloaded the FW updates, the same way they would not honor a warranty if you did not ever change you oil if you had an ICE.

Don't disagree with you, but if someone is in high-weasel mode, I can see them trying to make the case that you voided the warranty by not downloaded the FW updates, the same way they would not honor a warranty if you did not ever change you oil if you had an ICE.
But they explicitly tell you that you are required to change the oil at recommended service intervals. Tesla did not previously require firmware updates in their warranty. Personally, as an old computer geek I always accept pushed updates because by long experience, when they go to the trouble to fix something, not always, but on balance you are better off with the patched version.

Reactions: Droschke
But they explicitly tell you that you are required to change the oil at recommended service intervals. Tesla did not previously require firmware updates in their warranty. Personally, as an old computer geek I always accept pushed updates because by long experience, when they go to the trouble to fix something, not always, but on balance you are better off with the patched version.

Agree, but once they say "you need to install software version X" (the specific instructions and recommendations) and you say "no, I don't want to", someone trying to weasel out of warranty obligations might use that as excuse to punt. I am not defending this, I am simply pointing out that those of us with the older warranty language might not be any better off, even if the language is more vague.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I thought that Vmax WAS the max allowable charge, and that was what Tesla changed to stop the max charge at a revised 4.1V etc. I have TMSpy and so I get that screenshot on mine. I always read that screenshot as showing the max and min voltage at that given SoC%, ie just the spread at that particular point. So the wide screen shows it brick by brick, and the narrow screen is just a summary. If Omar's Vmax is only 3.9V he’s in deep doo doo!

I may have to delve back into the notes, which aren't as clear as they might be.
You're right but the app uses it on that screen to determine current maximum cell values and calls it "vmax"

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
OK, two more graphs--one at 95% (the highest it would charge last night) and again at 90% after driving around for a bit. Similar "bad" modules as the graphs I posted earlier pics (I have not had the time to go see if the are the exact same modules), although by the time I hit 90%, the modules had evened out. I kinda find that odd, because yesterday, at 73% I had similar unevenness to the 95% graph today. Perhaps there is some balancing that happens when you drive? Anyway, I'll let the car sit all day and check again and see what happens.

BTW 94%, Vmax was 4.12 -- so not sure what that means for cappiness of the pack]

They didn't even out, it was just a scale change.

Tesla told is in plain English they were going to implement capping before they did it, phrasing it as "revising charge and thermal management settings" out of "an abundance of caution" after several fires. No deception that early, they were as forthright as Tesla can be considering their communication problems. I don't think they realized the impact would be so debilitating, or impact so many cars.

Chase, I am not disputing your comment. I only submit that I was totally unaware of Tesla's communication to us before I installed those dreaded updates in May 2019 and after. I received no email. I received no text message. I received no phone call. There was no mention in the download prior to installation. How were you notified of Tesla's message?

It was not until I started reading this thread the past summer that I realized that many owners had their batteries capped. I was still ignorant of the gimped Supercharger speeds until that particular item was mentioned on here as well, and then I read DJ's complaint which referenced this in addition to the capping. I took a short trip about two weeks later and noticed that I too now experienced drastic slowing in SC speeds.

You may very well be correct in that Tesla was ignorant as to the effects of this software update over such a broad number of vehicles. I think Droschke figured out that the latest update divided cars into two camps: Terminally ill, and just ill. That update identified (so far) a handful of batteries that truly are fubar and Tesla is honoring the battery warranty. The rest of us are just boned until Tesla determines that they were too "abundantly cautious" and restores previous levels, or not.

I don't mean to say they told us, I mean they "told us" in the only way Tesla communicates. In a press release aimed at wall street, not us.

They will "Tell us" what they screwed up in our batteries the same way, once the media attention over the NHTSA and other lawsuits makes them respond as usual but not a minute before.

Tesla in incapable of communication that isn't in the form of advertising or damage control that's why it's so hard to get in touch with anyone and not even Elon can contact people at Tesla to get them to start installing mcu2 upgrades he advertised on Twitter.

This whole debacle was a criminally orchestrated sham from the beginning, it's just a matter of how malicious we think they started out. I'm convinced the terminally ill failures are just an attempt to get a step ahead NHTSA fines and bad press when this all blows up.

Or will you have a battery issue, one that you have no battery warranty for because you didn't update,

My user agreement pre-dated the change that requires that you keep the firmware up to date. They can't void my warranty for failing to update the firmware and in California, they can't void the warranty even with the new wording.

Also, it may not be unusual for non performance 85s' to reach the 200K mark on the original battery, but it is unusual for a P85DL to reach 100K miles on the original battery without having to be replaced. I'm already well beyond that probably because I've been so OCD about storage SOC and charging only right before I leave.

Chase, I am not disputing your comment. I only submit that I was totally unaware of Tesla's communication to us before I installed those dreaded updates in May 2019 and after. I received no email. I received no text message. I received no phone call. There was no mention in the download prior to installation. How were you notified of Tesla's message?

It was not until I started reading this thread the past summer that I realized that many owners had their batteries capped. I was still ignorant of the gimped Supercharger speeds until that particular item was mentioned on here as well, and then I read DJ's complaint which referenced this in addition to the capping. I took a short trip about two weeks later and noticed that I too now experienced drastic slowing in SC speeds.

You may very well be correct in that Tesla was ignorant as to the effects of this software update over such a broad number of vehicles. I think Droschke figured out that the latest update divided cars into two camps: Terminally ill, and just ill. That update identified (so far) a handful of batteries that truly are fubar and Tesla is honoring the battery warranty. The rest of us are just boned until Tesla determines that they were too "abundantly cautious" and restores previous levels, or not.
Where does the "fubar" line start and how do I get in it?

I recently took my P85D in for "battery needs service". It turns out it was because I hit the magic error 159 WOT exceeded. The tech told me that updating to v10 will get rid of the error but since it's not an actual battery problem, they wouldn't replace it. He said it was fine for me to stay on v8 and that it wouldn't cause any issues but that I'd always see the alert until I updated the firmware. He kindly unstaged v10 (yellow clock) for me before leaving.

No real change in reported voltages (they are slightly higher), so the bit of load that the heater put on the pack didn't change the picture. This is still one of the worst balanced packs I've seen.

It would be interesting to see the voltages at various SOC if it's convenient.

I suspect that if you deep cycle the pack a number of times, the BMS will eventually throw an error code and you'll get a replacement pack. Out of curiosity, what's your typical charging routine?

I found this post of yours: 7 years later what is your 100% on your 85kWh battery?

Your car also only charges to 95%, too? I suspect it's the huge imbalance that's causing this. Makes me wonder if there's some BMS gremlins that are causing Tesla to cap these batteries as well when the modules become significantly unmatched.
I'm also experiencing an issue like this. I cannot get my pack to charge about 97%. When I set the charge level to 100% it charges to 97% and stops (says charging is complete). There is no power going to the car, but if I let it set for an hour it will creep up to 98%, but will not go higher from there. Im trying a few deep charge cycles between home and supercharging to see if I can get it figured out. Tesla is aware and are monitoring my VIN for battery issues.

I recently took my P85D in for "battery needs service". It turns out it was because I hit the magic error 159 WOT exceeded. The tech told me that updating to v10 will get rid of the error but since it's not an actual battery problem, they wouldn't replace it. He said it was fine for me to stay on v8 and that it wouldn't cause any issues but that I'd always see the alert until I updated the firmware. He kindly unstaged v10 (yellow clock) for me before leaving.

I am no lawyer, but I would say that is good news. The service centres compliance in this helps to substantiate the lack of importance to update when suggested.

2509BE47-4797-4ED6-9545-20E0B721D0B7.png
I think that might apply if there were an instruction to do something that an owner had decided not to follow. But as the current Warranty is pretty much word for word the same as the old one, apart from the addition of a new sentence specifically about the need to install vehicle software updates, it would be easy to argue that the requirement does not exist in the original version.

Reactions: Guy V
So then why do any update? I think the answer is Tesla knows it's broken.
Excluding batterygate and chargegate (both as a result of downloading an update) my car pretty much does what it’s required to do, and has done for some time. And as it’s AP1, it already does stuff that cars on AP2+ are still waiting for. And as I have a pre facelift MS with AP1, it has been quite some time since ANY update added anything substantially new to my car, not least because the car simply does not have the hardware required for most of the latest update improvements. I am very happy to live with it as it is.