Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is a great story except that if it is a series of steps to resolve a safety issue all of it is illegal from the get go.

Well, that is a basic product management/engineering flow you could apply to any problem. Even if its a "safety" issue, you will still need to go though the same sort of process to resolve the problem--whatever happens on the legal/regulatory front would happen in parallel. At most, some legal/regulatory authority is gonna say you have to fix this and Tesla will still need to go through this process to accomplish that.

Reactions: JRP3 and MP3Mike
Ok...I tried it again at 100% charge. Thanks Chasser, Bignik for your input.

5E954EC9-4119-4A8B-8CB2-93D31CA4AFE2.png

F20B4BE5-30C0-43C3-9671-30EEAC8519DC.png

I would say you are wrong. A month from now all we will know is if Tesla and the plaintiff came to an agreement on how to resolve the complaint. It is possible that Tesla offered to return the range and charging speed but the plaintiff rejected the offer because they wanted more. (Like a public explanation about why the limits were put in place or extending the battery warranty by x years.)
Pure speculation on your part with no basis in fact.

Pure speculation on your part with no basis in fact.

@DJRas Yes, there is some speculation, which I think was clear in what I wrote, but it isn't pure speculation.
  1. It is a fact that in one month we may not know if Tesla would "do good and fix our batteries."
  2. You have flat out said that removing the cap wouldn't be enough for you to drop/settle the law suit:
Just removing the cap is NOT enough.
The safety issue must also be understood. Capping is just a bandaid and pulling off the bandage will just re-open the wound.

I was making a hypothetical situation based on what you said: Tesla returning the range but refusing to disclose why they did it in the first place.

There are 19 counts to the lawsuit.
Some will be addressed if the new release restores the range.
Some will not.
Additionally, we have heard ad nauseam from multiple front in this thread about this all being about battery safety.
Tesla still hasn't stated WHY this happened.
If it is for safety... then will rolling this back cause a dangerous condition.
I REALLY need to know that.

You say that even if they restore the range some of the other 19 counts still have to be dealt with. Like why they did it in the first place.

Have you changed your position such that if Tesla were to offer to return the range and charging speed, and nothing else, that you would agree to that settlement?

@DJRas Yes, there is some speculation, which I think was clear in what I wrote, but it isn't pure speculation.
  1. It is a fact that in one month we may not know if Tesla would "do good and fix our batteries."
  2. You have flat out said that removing the cap wouldn't be enough for you to drop/settle the law suit:

I was making a hypothetical situation based on what you said: Tesla returning the range but refusing to disclose why they did it in the first place.

You say that even if they restore the range some of the other 19 counts still have to be dealt with. Like why they did it in the first place.

Have you changed your position such that if Tesla were to offer to return the range and charging speed, and nothing else, that you would agree to that settlement?
Okay. Speculation on hypotheticals.

I realize this post was several pages ago but it was the page where I last left off on the thread.

AFAIK the non-Ludicrous contactor is limited to 1300A and the Ludicrous upgrade replaces that with a 1500A rated inconel contactor as well as an upgraded fuse. Unless they upgrade that contactor and fuse along with replacing the battery then the power output will be limited due to the decreased voltage.
VoltsAmpskWHP
From what I can find in Wikipedia no Model S exceeds those "Max. power, battery" limitations.

Hi guys,
Update on my 70D with isolation fault and limited acceleration, picked it up from the SC after a week, a 10hour return trip. Turns out the problem was the HV cables from the rear junction box to the front motor had an internal short, so no new battery (yet). I guess it’s no good wishing for a unicorn if all you get is a donkey that you have to pay $1,000 for.

At least the turbo diesel loaner was a constant reminder why I drive an electric car, hectic engine and it feels wrong to hand over $80 for a tank full of smelly oil...

Tesla told us themselves the downgrades were a response to fires.

No they didnt. You misinterpret that sentence.

Except that's not why they capped our cars. See my post right before yours.
Same.

Tesla did use the word "longevity" when they admitted the caps were rolled out to stop more parked cars from bursting into flames. A crippled battery does have more longevity than a burning one.

Longevity =/ fires.

'm not interpreting or speculating it's plain English and Tesla's official explanation.

It is an interpretation and a speculation and some of us think it is an incorrect interpretation and incorrect speculation.

The voltage capping is due to the fire incidents (the facts). "Longevity" is the corporate PR bit to soften the gravity of the root cause.

That is an interpretation (requiring avoiding the plain english meaning of "longevity") resulting in a weakly supported speculation.

I would say you are wrong. A month from now all we will know is if Tesla and the plaintiff came to an agreement on how to resolve the complaint. It is possible that Tesla offered to return the range and charging speed but the plaintiff rejected the offer because they wanted more. (Like a public explanation about why the limits were put in place or extending the battery warranty by x years.)
It's mind boggling that anyone has marked this post helpful. This suggestion is asinine and should be removed by the mods. Your conjectures only serve to confuse newcomers to the thread, which is your goal.

It's mind boggling that anyone has marked this post helpful. This suggestion is asinine and should be removed by the mods. Your conjectures only serve to confuse newcomers to the thread, which is your goal.

How is it asinine when the plaintiff, @DJRas, has specifically stated in this thread that just removing the cap would not be sufficient for him to settle this case?

So it is absolutely possible that Tesla offers to remove the cap in mediation and @DJRas rejects it.

Nope, wrong again. The Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950XL were released at the end of 2015, and they just ended support in December of 2019. So they have been unsupported for just a little over one month.

But yes, my phone is just over 4 years old. (And it still has a better camera than most of the current phones on the market.)
Take a photo of this thread on its browser in the left trunk cubby! Free iPhone! (or whatever you prefer)

For anyone still clinging to the myths that Tesla didn't institute batterygate and chargegate over fires and nothing else, I implore you to read exactly what they told you about the fires and why they were instituting chargegate and batterygate to try and reduce how many Teslas were burning. Here are their exact words:

"We currently have well over half a million vehicles on the road, which is more than double the number that we had at the beginning of last year, and Tesla's team of battery experts uses that data to thoroughly investigate incidents that occur and understand the root cause. Although fire incidents involving Tesla vehicles are already extremely rare and our cars are 10 times less likely to experience a fire than a gas car, we believe the right number of incidents to aspire to is zero.

As we continue our investigation of the root cause, out of an abundance of caution, we are revising charge and thermal management settings on Model S and Model X vehicles via an over-the-air software update that will begin rolling out today, to help further protect the battery and improve battery longevity.
"

Lets explain this to those of you that want Tesla's words to be "misinterpreted":

This was said the same day Tesla released 2019.16 - It is no coincidence "we are revising charge and thermal management settings on Model S and Model X vehicles via an over-the-air software update that will begin rolling out today" refers to 2019.16 or that 2019.16 had some seriously problematic revisions to charge and thermal settings. This update instituted batterygate and chargegate - charge and thermal settings - and we see it in our cars.

This entire press statement is about fires. Absolutely no other topic is mentioned. It starts with Tesla's fire safety. It tells us Tesla is internally investigating root causes for parked car fires, and it tells us they are taking direct action to try and stop it.

Tesla is not conjecturing. This is not an opinion or a hypothesis, it is Tesla's plain English explanation of why they felt they had to implement OTA updates that capped nearly every aspect of our cars' performance.

Several people are claiming Tesla "misinterpreted that sentence" or something. That is unfortunately out of touch - for starters the press release is long and thorough about its discussion of fires and actions taken to bring down the number of cars that catch fire, with no room to interpret individual sentances among the whole. It doesn't matter what any of us try to claim, we can't take back their words. Tesla said exactly those words, there is no misinterpretation possible and their words were carefully crafted to deliver the news with as soft a blow as possible while acknowledging they were responding to a rash of fires. This is not an interpretation, it is the English language at its simplest. The only interpretation going on is inside your skull, in your Broca's Area where language is interpreted.

None of us wanted Tesla to cause damages to our cars, but they did. Unfortunately, denying what they said will not undo what they did. Denial is a natural part of the reaction cycle, but it should be shorter term. For anyone new to this topic or still not past Denial, I urge you to read Post #1 as the majority of us are long past that stage of grieving over what Tesla did to us. We're all sympathetic to what they did to you, but it can't be undone as simply as claiming their actions and words are "misinterpreted." I wish it could.

Last edited: