Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think at some point, what Tesla can and cannot do via OTA is going to end up in court. It might not be this time, but they seem to play fast and loose and its going to catch-up with them. I see a couple of threads on here about FSD getting yanked and more grumbling around Model 3 range and charging behavior.
Capacity, power, and supercharge rates are already heading for court. They can't win any of those so taking it to court means losing or having the ability to manipulate those metrics restricted. I was expecting Tesla to capitulate eventually when they had delayed long enough but with NHTSA involved that is no longer on the table, settling with them isn't possible. OTA rules will be imposed for all manufacturers and Tesla will be the reason.

Porsche's 70% warranty and 200 mile range are starting to make sense. Owners are seeing 270+ miles in real world driving above 80mph and I never even saw EPA rated numbers at those speeds. Maybe Porsche wanted real world numbers to be higher while only needing to warranty 140 miles of capacity.

I think I read somewhere on the charging forum, that a reported increase, on the app/in car display, may be real, if there is a rebalancing within the battery, due to a failing portion of the battery. I noted an increase of 1% after approx three hours at the 1% less SOC, as reported on my App. Nothing different with the vehicle's state-not charging for days.

Any help appreciated

Thankyou very much

FURY

Capacity, power, and supercharge rates are already heading for court. They can't win any of those so taking it to court means losing or having the ability to manipulate those metrics restricted. I was expecting Tesla to capitulate eventually when they had delayed long enough but with NHTSA involved that is no longer on the table, settling with them isn't possible. OTA rules will be imposed for all manufacturers and Tesla will be the reason.

Porsche's 70% warranty and 200 mile range are starting to make sense. Owners are seeing 270+ miles in real world driving above 80mph and I never even saw EPA rated numbers at those speeds. Maybe Porsche wanted real world numbers to be higher while only needing to warranty 140 miles of capacity.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out--this is definitely brave new world stuff. I cannot really think of any analog to this in any industry I am familiar with except for the case with Apple throttling older iPhones.

Food for thought

If a remote diagnostic is done then that data should be time stamped and emailed to the owner with all of the data with what was found. As of now you only get a text from Tesla saying "nothing was found" and they cancel your appointment. When selling a used CPO Tesla needs to have pics of the actual car with the current range of that car. A complete history of warranty replacement parts should be available (car history), such as how many times have the drive motor or battery pack has been replaced. Only the actually usable KWH should be advertised, not the battery pack size. Do a voluntary recall for all packs effected by a potential fire and replace them with an oversized software limited pack.

Tesla can't even be truthful of the battery pack size when new - the only "85" that has an actual 85kwh battery is the single P85+ they recently replaced - probably as a test case. My Monroney says "85kwh" and that was always a bold faced lie.

;):):):)
Forgot to add....if you purchase a function for the car it stays with the car (FSD, Battery uncorking, Supercharging)

Like I stated 4,000 or so messages back on the blog Tesla still thinks they own the cars and can play with features the owners bought. So yes we the early adopters are leading the fight for future EV owners.

Its absolutely worth it in the end we need more EV’s and solutions to reduce the global warming that’s affecting our planet. While driving a kick A** car.:)

Tesla knew about the issue long time ago. There were several high mileage cars that had issues and batteries replaced. It was a small number so it was not only no problem for Tesla to replace those, but they were happy to take them back and analyze them to learn from them. They didn't say a word. They didn't want to scare the owners and even worse, create a general skepticism which would affect sales negatively.

Has the throttling of iPhones affect sales for Apple? I don't think so. We live in a world where getting the next new thing is all that people care about and products that are 3 years or older are seen as disposable junk. Tesla is pushing very hard to make cars as short lived and disposable as phones are today. People are totally going with it. In a way, crippling older cars helps that effort. The old cars are even lesser compared to the new ones and people want to 'upgrade'.

Has the throttling of iPhones affect sales for Apple? I don't think so. We live in a world where getting the next new thing is all that people care about and products that are 3 years or older are seen as disposable junk. Tesla is pushing very hard to make cars as short lived and disposable as phones are today. People are totally going with it. In a way, crippling older cars helps that effort. The old cars are even lesser compared to the new ones and people want to 'upgrade'.

In an ideal world I would keep my MS85D for 8-12 years.

The car is amazing and (in Europe) AP1 is probably still better than AP2 and god knows when FSD will actually be a reality.

The only upgrades I actually want are MCU2 and a new chemistry 400 mile range battery replacement in 2-4 years for $12-15k.

That is how Tesla can promote real sustainability that is good for us and the planet!

No advice on my uploaded screen shots huh.
Thanks anyhow....

Going to update to 40.2.3 see if I get that error alert for battery failure. Seens this class action will drag on for a while. Maybe by then I'll be on my 10th battery replacement. Lol

• Funny
Reactions: Gixx1300R
Tesla is pushing very hard to make cars as short lived and disposable as phones are today.
Developing a million mile battery suggests otherwise. Tesla has a problem on their hands and aren't able to come up with a proper fix at scale at this time but I seriously doubt failing packs and pissed off customers were ever part of the plan.

Reactions: Guy V and Matias
Developing a million mile battery suggests otherwise. Tesla has a problem on their hands and aren't able to come up with a proper fix at scale at this time but I seriously doubt failing packs and pissed off customers were ever part of the plan.

Of course not planned. But the way they handle it right now isn't reassuring.
Saying they are developing a 1 million mile battery is a marketing statement. Setting the warranty to 70% and saying 'we decide how we measure it' is how they really think about their latest, newest batteries (Model 3).

It is virtually impossible to get someone on the phone for service. Every battery issue has been answered with shrugs and 'everything is fine' when clearly it isn't fine. yet I have received at least 20 sales calls in the last 2 years.

Making it as unattractive as possible to buy a new replacement battery also shows that they want the old cars to die out and people buying new ones.

I agree that service and communications are a sh!t show but at some level they have to know that if their products become known for early deaths it's not going to bode well for the company. Frankly I have a hard time believing Elon is actually aware of what's going on or how extensive it is. This seems like middle management in cover their ass mode.

I agree that service and communications are a sh!t show but at some level they have to know that if their products become known for early deaths it's not going to bode well for the company. Frankly I have a hard time believing Elon is actually aware of what's going on or how extensive it is. This seems like middle management in cover their ass mode.

Yeah. I feel like their corporate culture is all sorts of messed up. Crap does NOT flow uphill like it should so Elon finds out about stuff from twitter and two weeks later something is (maybe) fixed. It's like they are all too afraid of being fired, so there must be a huge blame culture going on or something. Personally, I suspect Elon's management style is a huge contributor to the problem. The CEO micromanaging various teams is not a great way to run things.

Elon is aware of what's going on - if he isn't he's incompetent. This is probably his direct order - he is paid by stock gains and a massive recall would hurt those, so we don't get one. I don't think they will even try to cooperate with owners until the stock has stayed above his payday limit ($500?) for the 6 months stipulated in his contract. This sort of anti consumer stance is too damaging to the company for a CEO to have no knowledge of, and Elon is too much of a micromanager to be kept in the dark by rogue middle managers.

He takes no salary and doesn't sell shares. You do know he has another successful company, right?
Actually, he is potentially the highest paid CEO in history. His income is contingent on Tesla doing well, and that is what I'm referring to. He gets paid if Tesla remains this high for 6 months.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s $56 Billion Pay Package Goes to Court

It's how CEOs should be paid - rather than a golden parachute his rewards are contingent on company success... though hiding company problems might be an unintended consequence.

You do know he has another successful company, right?

That's the reason Tesla pays him so much based on milestones, “to incentivize Musk to remain a fully engaged CEO” as the Tesla board put it. He has many obligations and this helps assure focus on Tesla.

Last edited: