Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New battery warranty now specifically excludes changes to battery performance due to software updates https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

So they could sell a 400 mile range car, reduce it to 250 and there would be no recourse.

Let’s hope they come out with why the batteries were limited and update recommendations on how to make our batteries last. IMHO I agree 90% is max I charge and Tesla should be making larger batteries and cap the top end the way like Audi and Jag did. and better recommendations on how to maintain them for longer life based on their stats they collect of the fleet.

New battery warranty now specifically excludes changes to battery performance due to software updates https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

So they could sell a 400 mile range car, reduce it to 250 and there would be no recourse.

I wonder what the 70% would be calculated against if they capped a battery by 20% themselves? Does the owner now have to get down to 50% from the original before they have a warranty case? Ugh.

I guess this is Tesla officially admitting that none of the capped batteries are suffering actual degradation, a hot topic debated on this thread, I know.

90% charge
0 to 60 is 5.89 seconds with excellent grip
Range is 212 miles at 96 to 97% charge ( will not go above that percentage)

So my P85 has the same performance and range as a rear wheel drive Model S 60
Screenshot_20200202-074218.png

Wow, they replaced the warranty documents for our 2013 P85 and our 2015 85D our Tesla Account. 8-year unlimited mile warranty for battery and drive units are now reduced to 8 year/240.000km, whatever comes first - effectively removing 2,5 years of warranty on one of our vehicles. I would like to believe this is a mistake, but the warranty text specifically mention 60kWh cars sold before 2015. So it could be intentional.

What do you think? Foul play or mistake?

Wow, they replaced the warranty documents for our 2013 P85 and our 2015 85D our Tesla Account. 8-year unlimited mile warranty for battery and drive units are now reduced to 8 year/240.000km, whatever comes first - effectively removing 2,5 years of warranty on one of our vehicles. I would like to believe this is a mistake, but the warranty text specifically mention 60kWh cars sold before 2015. So it could be intentional.

What do you think? Foul play or mistake?

They fixed the language to make it clear its not retroactive:

upload_2020-2-2_15-29-31.png

I call BS!!! The way I read the new warranty, short and simple, is that Tesla ultimately determines what and what’s not covered by saying it’s a software induced issue or it’s normal degradation.

I love driving an EV, but I will never buy another car from this company mainly because of the customer service...or lack of.

For those who haven’t seen it yet...beware. When you still within the warranty period Tesla treats you like gold, but when your not they don’t give a damn.

The competition is just around the corner...

For those who haven’t seen it yet...beware. W̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶r̶r̶a̶n̶t̶y̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶i̶o̶d̶ ̶T̶e̶s̶l̶a̶ ̶t̶r̶e̶a̶t̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶g̶o̶l̶d̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ they don’t give a damn.

Fixed it for you.

Not entirely true. they have a degradation warranty but there is no way to claim software reductions = degradation.
It also states Tesla gets to determine the battery's capacity however they deem fit. So they can ignore software limits of they want.

Edit to add warranty quote:
"The measurement method used to determine
Battery capacity, and the decision of whether to repair, replace, or provide reconditioned or re-
manufactured parts, and the condition of any such replaced, reconditioned or re-manufactured
parts, are at the sole discretion of Tesla."

Last edited:
Definitely not the small ambitious company they used to be that promised to be better than traditional auto. Seams all they are interested in now is making a sale with no regard to word of mouth for future sales. That word of mouth is part of what built them up. On a side note my replacement ICE car still has all of its gas tank capacity. There isn't any BS in the warranty about Honda's discretion if the tank still has the same capacity over time. Really is a shame since before this battery scandal I was a serious fanboy who said I would only go back to gas if I had to.

It also states Tesla gets to determine the battery's capacity however they deem fit. So they can ignore software limits of they want.
They can't. It reads like the "you have to update" change but warranty law doesn't work like that so software limiting, like requiring updates, is still unenforceable. They're essentially just putting scary clauses in the warranty to make themselves look less appealing.

Edit to add warranty quote:
"The measurement method used to determine
Battery capacity, and the decision of whether to repair, replace, or provide reconditioned or re-
manufactured parts, and the condition of any such replaced, reconditioned or re-manufactured
parts, are at the sole discretion of Tesla."

That gives them the exclusive right to decide whatever they want. I'm not familiar with warranty laws but that's can't be right.

They need to establish exactly how they measure battery capacity at the day of the sale and they can't change their method or definition later on. It must be verifiable by the owner. So far Tesla has refused to accept any owner provided data and has refused to provide neither their method nor data they are using.

The new language seems pretty owner unfriendly--treats the battery as a consumable--plan to lose 30% of your capacity over 8 years. If you are unfortunate to lose more, we'll fix your pack just enough to keep you above that bar. I am not aware of anyone else that handles warranty claims in this manner (again, I might be wrong). My MacBook just had a battery replaced under warranty and I got a like-new battery, not one that had just enough capacity to run out the rest of my AppleCare term. It also seems to codify ChargeGate and BatteryGate as SOP.

warranty-1.jpg
warranty-2.jpg