Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My BMB sense doesn't read any bricks. What does that mean? All battery stats are blank.

A FET can fail all kinds of ways. Partial short and full short being the most common, I believe. Failing full open is possible, but that's usually not the FET itself. If failed partially or fully closed, it would continuously drag a cell group lower. Such an imbalance would be almost impossible to correct.

A BMB sense issue in the sense noted would be if the BMB was not reading that brick's voltage correctly, which is possible.

Correct, the weakest cell group dictates voltage cut points. The BMS doesn't allow any cell group to be pushed outside of established limits.

Generally after charging the weakest cell groups will have the highest voltage at rest. After discharging, the weakest groups would have the lowest voltage. In @islandbayy's case where one cell group is showing _lower_ than the rest after charging it suggests another issue, and I'd possibly expect it to be somewhat consistently low throughout the SoC range (while at rest)... alternatively, it would indicate that every other group is weaker than that group..... which seems less likely than an issue with some hardware on the one group.

I have maybe a dumb question.

I wonder how many affected folks would void their battery warranty entirely and install a third party device (probably for a few hundred bucks) that unlocks original range and supercharge speeds?

17106940c0a6429caca3

I would! IMO The car is almost useless for long distance trips (over 1.000km/day).

Reactions: gmo43 and wk057
Is it a coincidence or consequence that we didn´t see any more fires since 2019.16.1.1 and newer then?

I don't recall seeing any responses to this point. IMO the question is at the heart of these deliberations and the answer will become clear one way or the other however things move forward.

The timing of the 16.1.1 downgrade and Tesla's language relating to it clearly points very firmly one way.

Last edited:
I don't recall seeing any responses to this point. IMO the question is at the heart of these deliberations and the answer will become clear one way or the other however things move forward.

The timing of the 16.1.1 downgrade and Tesla's language relating to it clearly points very firmly one way.

Dunno. Seems like the wrong conclusion to draw, despite being plausible.

Take this close-to-home example (literally): About 5 years ago, a few people got broken into in my neighborhood (near the entrance to the development). (Before that there wasn't any similar incident for several years prior, either.) Afterward, almost everyone installed alarm systems. There were actually no break-ins for over 3 years, until there were two, near the same area, a few months ago which ended that streak. Did the alarms stop break-ins? Seems the answer is quite obviously no, but a year ago many claimed otherwise.

Did Tesla's updates prevent fires? Seems many think they did... just like the people in my neighborhood think their alarms stopped break-ins.... until they didn't. Pretty sure we're at a similar point of thought on this whole thing. "The fix worked! Yay!"

It's also like saying autopilot will prevent crashes. We see how that's going.

Reactions: MP3Mike and bhzmark
I've been tinkering with mods for years now, and nothing so far has triggered Tesla to be punitive regarding supercharging on clean-title cars. But who knows.

I would be on board. This weekend I had to drive a rental to the Chico sc to get my car from service. Trip there took 4 1/2 hours. For the trip back, I had to take Highway 299 (California) since highway 36 was down due to fires. I had to charge all the way to 97% before the car would even show 15% would be left on arrival (took over 1.5 hours!). About 5 minutes after leaving the charger, I saw that the projected arrival percentage left to Eureka was 9%. Because of this, I had to spend and extra hour+ PAYING for a charge in Weaverville! Total return trip took over 7 hours!!!
Prior to battergate and chargegate I made the same trip several times and it NEVER took more than 5 hours with charging time, and NEVER did I have range fears.
Tesla is really making it damn near impossible to travel anymore. Unacceptable, since I followed EVERY recommendation from Tesla on caring for my battery from day ONE!
Hell, I had to CANCEL my annual road trip to Tennessee and Wyoming because the damn car could not find a route with supercharger access the whole way like it USED to do the last 4 times I went on the trips.
Tesla: Cut the crap. Come clean. Make it right! No fix, no future purchases or recommendations.

I have maybe a dumb question.

I wonder how many affected folks would void their battery warranty entirely and install a third party device (probably for a few hundred bucks) that unlocks original range and supercharge speeds?

17106940c0a6429caca3

Now, you're talking.
I would not void warranty, but as soon as the warranty expires i would certainly do that to get my few lost km (i was not greatly affected in terms of range - about 15km) and charge rate back!
But i just moved on and sold my S85 this paste weekend.
Hope my X 100D doesn't get the same treatment in a few months....

Reactions: InternetDude
Tesla: Cut the crap. Come clean. Make it right! No fix, no future purchases or recommendations.

Exactly what every current owner should do, independently of the owned model, but instead ...

Hope my X 100D doesn't get the same treatment in a few months....

... some move on and accept the risk of sooner or later being in the same situation.

I guess that for most people that change car every 2 to 4 years, this is irrelevant. After all it took 6 years for my P85 to get nerfed.
But just imagine how much is this going to affect leasings, trade-in vlaue and 2nd hand market? The depreciation will plummet prices down. In the end, the far-from-being-unbeaten advantage of Tesla over the competition is the charging network.

Exactly what every current owner should do, independently of the owned model, but instead ...

... some move on and accept the risk of sooner or later being in the same situation.

I guess that for most people that change car every 2 to 4 years, this is irrelevant. After all it took 6 years for my P85 to get nerfed.
But just imagine how much is this going to affect leasings, trade-in vlaue and 2nd hand market? The depreciation will plummet prices down. In the end, the far-from-being-unbeaten advantage of Tesla over the competition is the charging network.

Yeah, i hear you...
The thing is that Tesla still has no real competition and you either got back to an ICE car (something i couldn't do) or you are better getting another Tesla....
I didn't bought the X just because my S85 lost a few km with the infamous 2019.16 "update" and it's charging rate was severely reduced (that helped too, of course, but i could live with it), but also and mainly because i didn't wanted to be stuck with a car without any general warranty (i know how expensive Tesla repairs can be) and that would lose battery and engine warranty in two years time, so i decided to make the move and get the X. No regrets there and i finally found a good home for my loved S85, so it's all good.
But yes i do bitch against Tesla for crippling our cars. I'm not a masochist fan boy.

Reactions: bhzmark
Yeah, i hear you...
The thing is that Tesla still has no real competition and you either got back to an ICE car (something i couldn't do) or you are better getting another Tesla....
I didn't bought the X just because my S85 lost a few km with the infamous 2019.16 "update" and it's charging rate was severely reduced (that helped too, of course, but i could live with it), but also and mainly because i didn't wanted to be stuck with a car without any general warranty (i know how expensive Tesla repairs can be) and that would lose battery and engine warranty in two years time, so i decided to make the move and get the X. No regrets there and i finally found a good home for my loved S85, so it's all good.
But yes i do bitch against Tesla for crippling our cars. I'm not a masochist fan boy.
Can he buy mine as well?