Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon getting squirrelier

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pruitt

Pontificating the obvious
Jun 27, 2014
Casper WY
This last update to Summon really seems to have screwed it up.
I always use the fob to activate summon. After the last update a week or so ago, Now I have to activate summon at least twice, sometimes thrice, to get my car completely into or out of the garage. This was not a problem before.
The messages left on my cellphone are "summon started" and "summon complete." No "summon aborted," as was the case before on those occasions where I had to activate summon twice.
The car now will often move only a short distance before stopping. I activate it again and the car will finish moving into position. This happens both when it is pulling into, and when it is pulling out of, the garage.
If I had homelink activated I'd have all sorts of creases in the top surfaces of the car from the garage door hitting it as it tried to close automatically, I think.
Is there a way to "reset" summon so it starts over from scratch?
I understand that Tesla wanted to get the latest upgrade, which added the direction selection to the park button double-push, out fast. But there should maybe have been a bit more regression testing before releasing this upgrade.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I've used summon many times without issue, but I think I'm going to turn it off now.

Last night while I was in the kitchen (which is on the far end of the house from the garage), when I was most definitely NOT trying to summon my car, I received the following notifications:

IMG_2622.jpg

Who knows what would have happened if I did not plug in when I got home.

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
If this is sarcasm the internet doesn't convey that very well. It's beta, people need to remember that ... If you are willing to turn your 100k car into a big RC car (that's not 100% reliable) go right ahead, I'm not willing to do that because it's BETA.
Hold on here. Someone chimes in with a totally irrelevant comment and I call him on it. And someone dislikes my post?

Please describe to me how calling something a beta feature (even though not one of us has signed any sort of beta tester agreement or NDA) alleviates Tesla from having to deliver? These are promised features that people have paid real (not beta) money for. I expect development to be moving forward toward a real product. There has been no end-user visible progress on summon since it was introduced. (I don't count the GUI updates which didn't add any functionality.)

Hold on here. Someone chimes in with a totally irrelevant comment and I call him on it. And someone dislikes my post?

Please describe to me how calling something a beta feature (even though not one of us has signed any sort of beta tester agreement or NDA) alleviates Tesla from having to deliver? These are promised features that people have paid real (not beta) money for. I expect development to be moving forward toward a real product. There has been no end-user visible progress on summon since it was introduced. (I don't count the GUI updates which didn't add any functionality.)
How is my pointing out it's beta totally irrelevant? When you click through all the screens to activate summon you acknowledge it's beta, you don't need to sign an agreement when you click "agree" that you are using beta software.

*edit spelling*

Reactions: Microfrost
I got more phantom summon notifications yesterday, so re-enabled continuous hold for summon.

Unfortunately, that disables keyfob activation AND park double tap activation. I'd like to keep the park double tab, since I'm present at that point, and just disable the keyfob activation.

At least I can still use summon to pull out if someone parks too close to me in a parking lot. Other than that it's not too much of a hastle to use for home garage parking and unparking.

Same here - backing out of my garage now works maybe once out of 5 attempts. The other 4 times I have to re-start summon from where the car stopped (and that works just fine). No idea what the problem could be, it used to work fine (i.e. 90% of the time or more) before the latest FW update.

A new twist - I updated with the latest new software last night. This morning I couldn't activate summon with the fob at all. I had to go to the Tesla app on my android to activate summon, which worked fine. The software update was supposedly a summon update.

I'll try the fob again when I get home. Maybe it was just a one-off non-function issue the first time summon was used with the update (I hope).