Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon is coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting....so either this means you will get to buy your key FOBs next week, or that they have found a way to enable summon with just phone access? If the latter is true that would be awesome. Keeping fingers crossed (and may have to take back what I just posted in the other threads about my displeasure of not having summon despite having purchased EAP :oops: )

The summon on my model S works like garbage. I could care less about a summon update. Fails to connect 9 out of 10 times. They need a controller that connects VIA wifi to the vehicle. Using the cellphone is garbage. Maybe a key-fob will work better. Sounds like thats what they are heading towards. You can't use the key fob on the Model S. So I see this as useless for model S and X owners. Need to make a controller for the vehicle. Kind of like an RC controller or video game controller.

The summon on my model S works like garbage. I could care less about a summon update. Fails to connect 9 out of 10 times. They need a controller that connects VIA wifi to the vehicle. Using the cellphone is garbage. Maybe a key-fob will work better. Sounds like thats what they are heading towards. You can't use the key fob on the Model S. So I see this as useless for model S and X owners. Need to make a controller for the vehicle. Kind of like an RC controller or video game controller.

Connecting via wifi would only work if your car is in wifi range. Might be ok for home but definitely not while out. Agree that a “direct” connection is preferred between car and controller. Bluetooth range isn’t great though.

All these updates are very promising to the state of development on the UX/Software + Hardware integration side. They pushed out the hardware with the vision to do all these features even thought the software to connect the two didn't exist yet. Very excited and optimistic for new features from Tesla.

Autopark worked amazingly well in the rain last night when the backup camera had poor visibility.

Interesting....so either this means you will get to buy your key FOBs next week, or that they have found a way to enable summon with just phone access? If the latter is true that would be awesome. Keeping fingers crossed (and may have to take back what I just posted in the other threads about my displeasure of not having summon despite having purchased EAP :oops: )
I doubt they can get around needing the fob: that’s a restriction imposed by Canadian law, which sucks.

I doubt they can get around needing the fob: that’s a restriction imposed by Canadian law, which sucks.
Well lets see how all this plays out in time...
I understand CANADA being conservative, as we are requiring a FOB to be detected by the car in order to have Summon work on the phone. So a FOB is written into the regulations. This is also how it works on the S and X.

So here is the question? If the car required the Bluetooth connection from the phone that has to be in short range since it is acting like a FOB.. should it not be just a Canadian program thing with the app?? I REALLY don’t want to carry a FOB so that I can use summon once every month to two!

Well lets see how all this plays out in time...
I understand CANADA being conservative, as we are requiring a FOB to be detected by the car in order to have Summon work on the phone. So a FOB is written into the regulations. This is also how it works on the S and X.

So here is the question? If the car required the Bluetooth connection from the phone that has to be in short range since it is acting like a FOB.. should it not be just a Canadian program thing with the app?? I REALLY don’t want to carry a FOB so that I can use summon once every month to two!
The regulation stipulates that the operator must be within 10’ (or so) before the vehicle can be operated.

It’s not that the key is Bluetooth, it’s that the car only sees the key at roughly that distance, thus it’s a means of insuring safe remote operation.

The regulation stipulates that the operator must be within 10’ (or so) before the vehicle can be operated.

It’s not that the key is Bluetooth, it’s that the car only sees the key at roughly that distance, thus it’s a means of insuring safe remote operation.

I get that.. but I am confused why the Bluetooth on the phone cannot satisfy the “FOB” requirement. Why do we need another device that does the same thing as what the phone’s Bluetooth is doing.

I get that.. but I am confused why the Bluetooth on the phone cannot satisfy the “FOB” requirement. Why do we need another device that does the same thing as what the phone’s Bluetooth is doing.
Simply because the regulation is clear that it must be a dedicated device that connects to the car and provides a deadman switch. Since your phone is a multi purpose device, it does not count.

My understanding is the whole issue is our immobilization regulations that a car must be immobilized when the key/fob is not present in the vehicle. Seems obvious that this regulation never considered remote operation of a vehicle. As long as the owner/operator has the key/vob they should be allowed control the car. Summon is never going to work right as long as the car is immobilized based on proximity to the key/vob.

My understanding is the whole issue is our immobilization regulations that a car must be immobilized when the key/fob is not present in the vehicle. Seems obvious that this regulation never considered remote operation of a vehicle. As long as the owner/operator has the key/vob they should be allowed control the car. Summon is never going to work right as long as the car is immobilized based on proximity to the key/vob.

That makes a lot of sense to me. Canada does require an immobilized as a security system over the USA. This is also one of the reasons you can not import a Tesla S, X or 3 into canada from USA...