Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun Visors 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I hate my visors

I have tried raising my seat, rotating them, but they are too small
I have heard there is a upgrade visor at Tesla that you have to complain about
Anybody have any pictures of these if they are out there?
Do newer teslas have different visors?
What is the latests information. Looked at too many old threads with no updates
thanks

My understanding is the original MS visors were even smaller or of some different design from what has been shipping with MS for some time now. I also thought the original versions were swapped-out to the current design, but I'm not 100% on that. We'll have to let "old timers" weigh-in on the situation, or try some searches as I know I read about it here somewhere in my research phase before ordering last Fall.

jimtesla, what year is your MS? I had a 2013 with small miserable visors. They were simply ridiculous and there are some threads discussing this from WAY back. In my case, both mirror covers broke, for no particular reason. Tesla replaced them with their newer visors, which are significantly larger: both wider and taller. There was a massive difference in usage for me, and never I was frustrated with them since. They did not sink into the headliner exactly the same way, but in the year or so that I the new visors, I never noticed the difference.

Last edited:
The original visors are smaller than current production. Current ones are perhaps an inch or so deeper, if I remember correctly from the loaner I had with them. They look essentially the same, just slightly larger, so they work for significantly more seating positions. The mirrors/mirror cover in the newer ones are slightly nicer as well (better hinge/cover aesthetics).

The old ones work fine for me, but I set a high, upright seating position, so I haven't bothered asking for replacement with new ones.

My understanding is the original MS visors were even smaller or of some different design from what has been shipping with MS for some time now. I also thought the original versions were swapped-out to the current design, but I'm not 100% on that. We'll have to let "old timers" weigh-in on the situation, or try some searches as I know I read about it here somewhere in my research phase before ordering last Fall.

My early 2013 car had the visors swapped out... but only because it came delivered with no mirrors. I was told I would get vanity mirror lamps (the test drive car I was in back in 2012 had them) but that never happened. The replacement visors themselves are exactly the same size... if not, they would not have folded up into the recess in the headliner properly.

The trick is not to fold them back against the glass. The rake of the windshield is such that if you do this, they will barely cover any of the windshield. Open them so that they are hanging straight down. I am 5' 10" and actually am "short" from the waist up, but folding the visors straight down will cover my field of view right to the horizon, which is more than adequate.

My early 2013 car had the visors swapped out... but only because it came delivered with no mirrors. I was told I would get vanity mirror lamps (the test drive car I was in back in 2012 had them) but that never happened. The replacement visors themselves are exactly the same size... if not, they would not have folded up into the recess in the headliner properly.

The trick is not to fold them back against the glass. The rake of the windshield is such that if you do this, they will barely cover any of the windshield. Open them so that they are hanging straight down. I am 5' 10" and actually am "short" from the waist up, but folding the visors straight down will cover my field of view right to the horizon, which is more than adequate.

Agree with your suggestion for positioning the visors... Don't push them too far back against the glass and you get pretty good coverage with the latest generation. FWIW, my 10/2015 MS does not have lamps on those visor mirrors and I have every option except rear jumper seats, so you didn't miss out on a goodie that at least fairly recent builds are receiving. ;)

Any pictures?
Remember to say "Thank You" :)

S90D 10-5-2015 Delivery w/ Black Headliner -- Sunvisor UP
IMG_1222.jpg

S90D 10-5-2015 Delivery w/ Black Headliner -- Sunvisor DOWN
IMG_1223.jpg

Wow Bert yours is so much bigger than mine. lol

Really have changed, wonder if I said anything to Tesla about how poor Mine are they may change them out ?

Maybe they would just swap out my whole headliner for black. That looks awesome.Bert

P.S. Thanks Bert

There was, early on, a promise to swap all visors with ones incorporating lamps. It seems they have conveniently forgotten that promise!!

Tesla would never break a promise! This just comes down to how strictly you define "lamp."

Some might say that a lamp has to be able to "create" light, but others might argue that a device that can reflect light might be considered a lamp. Under just the right circumstances, with enough real light being shined at them, those safety stickers actually reflect light.

Voila--we have our visor lamps.