Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla builds to also accommodate CCS the number of plugs per station will be a good 1.5 - 2.0x greater than in the past. I'm pretty sure that Tesla counts in growth by plugs and not by locations

I don’t think they count as double… Especially magic dock in the US. It’s an adapter not a separate plug. Europe uses CCS2 only (except old stations) so those are clearly just one plug

It is unlikely this will be a Magic Dock site, I hope, due to the remoteness, yet fairly critical location/route.
The last thing we need is a Lucid Air or Chevy Bolt taking up 2 stalls charging at 48 kW max. (Seems weird to be equating these 2 cars, but that‘s where we are at with Magic Dock.)

• Funny
Reactions: TexasDuke
The last thing we need is a Lucid Air or Chevy Bolt taking up 2 stalls charging at 48 kW max
The Lucid Air can handle 350 kW, so it's going to be done as fast as any Tesla. Maybe someone with an Air can check on whether or not the reportedly-longer Magic Dock cables will reach an Air's plug if it is backed in. Some slow-charging Bolts clogging up the scene would be annoying, but there aren't that many around compared to Teslas. I wouldn't want to park next to one - just in case it caught on fire. :cool: As soon as the cheaper next-gen Tesla comes out from Giga Mexico, nobody will buy a Bolt.

Tesla said they're going to be monitoring congestion so they don't wreck one of the top reasons to buy a Tesla. Would be interesting to hear how that's working out in Europe, where Tesla started the non-Tesla Supercharger pilot in November 2021. From the map it looks like roughly half of European Superchargers now allow non-Teslas. If anyone finds the actual numbers, please reply.

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
No, Lucid can do 50 kW on 400V chargers.

It needs a higher voltage charger for full speed. Tesla may eventually support that on Superchargers but has not yet and Alamosa seems unlikely to get a 1000V V4 Supercharger

The Lucid Air can handle 350 kW, so it's going to be done as fast as any Tesla. Maybe someone with an Air can check on whether or not the reportedly-longer Magic Dock cables will reach an Air's plug if it is backed in. Some slow-charging Bolts clogging up the scene would be annoying, but there aren't that many around compared to Teslas. I wouldn't want to park next to one - just in case it caught on fire. :cool: As soon as the cheaper next-gen Tesla comes out from Giga Mexico, nobody will buy a Bolt.

Tesla said they're going to be monitoring congestion so they don't wreck one of the top reasons to buy a Tesla. Would be interesting to hear how that's working out in Europe, where Tesla started the non-Tesla Supercharger pilot in November 2021. From the map it looks like roughly half of European Superchargers now allow non-Teslas. If anyone finds the actual numbers, please reply.
It is already confirmed that a Lucid can only do 50kW on a Magic Dock. A Lucid can only do 50kW on 400v charging systems. Same with the base Taycan.
Rivians and Lightnings will do closer to 150kW on a Magic Dock, since they match up better with 400v chargers.

Europe is a whole different situation since everything is CCS, and there are boatloads of other DCFC charging options. (Though, blocking 2 supercharger stalls is still a thing there too, unfortunately.)

• Helpful
Reactions: electrons4u
It is unlikely this will be a Magic Dock site, I hope, due to the remoteness, yet fairly critical location/route.
The last thing we need is a Lucid Air or Chevy Bolt taking up 2 stalls charging at 48 kW max. (Seems weird to be equating these 2 cars, but that‘s where we are at with Magic Dock.)
I think it seems unlikely they would put a magic dock site in such a small town that already has chargepoint ccs chargers

I think it seems unlikely they would put a magic dock site in such a small town that already has chargepoint ccs chargers

I don't think proximity of existing DC fast chargers has any bearing on that. At least two MagicDock sites are in parking lots with existing Electrify America stations. Personally, I think Tesla gets a kick out of thumbing their nose at the competition.

I don't think proximity of existing DC fast chargers has any bearing on that. At least two MagicDock sites are in parking lots with existing Electrify America stations. Personally, I think Tesla gets a kick out of thumbing their nose at the competition.

Half the New York Magic Dock installations are in smaller cities that already have CCS charging.
With the well-publicized unreliability of the other CCS chargers, Tesla can ignore where any existing chargers are and just plan their rollout as if those other guys didn't exist. If the other guys don't step up their game, non-Telsa owners will quickly find out that Tesla Superchargers can be depended on. They will stop bothering with the other guys. That's what I would do. The other guys have a shortening window of time to fix themselves before they are going to be in a world of hurt.

p.s. I was very surprised to find out that the Lucid Air only gets 50 kW at Superchargers. They sure didn't say that on their site, which is all I checked. Thanks for finding the real story!

I believe no will be buying a Bolt after this year . . Aren’t they stopping production of it in a few months?

The Lucid Air can handle 350 kW, so it's going to be done as fast as any Tesla.

At a 800V charger. The V4 Supercharger might support this voltage, but the V3 and earlier Superchargers do not.
Currently the Lucid Air is limited by its hardware to 50 kW at the V3- Superchargers; and so far as I know ( but not confirmed), at any 500V- DC charger

Last edited:
Reactions: JayTaos
At a 800V charger. The V4 Supercharger might support this voltage, but the V3 and earlier Superchargers do not.
Currently the Lucid Air is limited by its hardware to 50 kW at the V3- Superchargers; and so far as I know ( but not confirmed), at any 500V- DC charger
50kW max has been confirmed and demonstrated by Out of Spec (video can be viewed on YT).

• Helpful
Reactions: SageBrush
I believe no will be buying a Bolt after this year . . Aren’t they stopping production of it in a few months?
Yes, GM is stopping production of Bolts to focus on their new "Ultium Platform." The new Chevy Equinox is expected to be launched in the Fall, starting at $30k. Whether they hit that date and price remains to be seen. It will have faster DC charging than the Bolt; they claim approximately 70 miles in ten minutes.

So, the number of Bolts at Magic Dock stations figures to be small. Not that it seems likely that Alamosa will be a Magic Dock station.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke
No construction activity yet.

Attachments

• IMG_7058.jpeg
    IMG_7058.jpeg
    619 KB · Views: 93