Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Albuquerque NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, it only needs one of these guys sitting there to keep watch:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438137532.313352.jpg

abq_sc_pos.jpg

Well, I'm back home on Maui and so it will probably be years before I get to use this supercharger that I watched getting built and even helped document the construction of. I'm attaching a photo that I hope will provide some additional information (from google, and out-of-date). On the last day of construction, back in early June (the 3rd, I think), I spoke to the Tesla rep that was there overseeing the final touches. He expressed concern that certain individuals in the area were "cutting through" where the supercharger parking spots were (see red lines in photo). His concern was that if it continued after the supercharger was on-line, certain owners would be uncomfortable charging there - and Tesla did not want that to be the case. I had no idea that two months later this site would still be waiting on a fence (my guess is the green line, as there is a bike trail/walking path from which the individuals were coming from). I certainly wouldn't have foreseen Trinidad, Colorado being open before Albuquerque!

Well, well, well. Look what just arrived in my inbox moments ago. Yours too probably.

tsla-abq-email.png

Oh, how I wish the first analyst question during this week's Q2 2015 Tesla Earnings Conference Call was, "Elon, what is the problem with the Albuquerque supercharger? It takes a day to build a fence. The thing's been finished for two months. And you're telling customers it's going to be another month or more before you open it? Exactly what is going on? The whole world wants to know."

Oh, how I wish the first analyst question during this week's Q2 2015 Tesla Earnings Conference Call was, "Elon, what is the problem with the Albuquerque supercharger? It takes a day to build a fence. The thing's been finished for two months. And you're telling customers it's going to be another month or more before you open it? Exactly what is going on? The whole world wants to know."
I second the motion! - All in favor say "I"

So I visited Las Vegas NM (photos here) and Trinidad CO (photos here) today.

While at the Las Vegas site, I hung out with the construction crew for a few mins. Turns out it's the same crew that did Albuquerque. So of COURSE I asked 'em, what the heck is the deal with the Albuquerque supercharger delay? To which the guy told me, he would ONLY tell me if I PROMISED not to repeat it "in the forums" as he'd get in trouble. (If you guys are readin' this, hi!)

So I now know what the delay is about. Suffice to say it's related to the fence, which we already know about. It's needed. 'Nuff said. They're painfully aware of the delay. Fence'll be done in Sept. All's good.

So I visited Las Vegas NM (photos here) and Trinidad CO (photos here) today.

While at the Las Vegas site, I hung out with the construction crew for a few mins. Turns out it's the same crew that did Albuquerque. So of COURSE I asked 'em, what the heck is the deal with the Albuquerque supercharger delay? To which the guy told me, he would ONLY tell me if I PROMISED not to repeat it "in the forums" as he'd get in trouble. (If you guys are readin' this, hi!)

So I now know what the delay is about. Suffice to say it's related to the fence, which we already know about. It's needed. 'Nuff said. They're painfully aware of the delay. Fence'll be done in Sept. All's good.

Revealing that people have revealed something could also get them in trouble. Just saying.

Tinm, I hope your little post is worth jeopardizing someones' livelihood - these guys work hard for a living like a lot of people. Be rest assured my posting is on a throwaway email so I will not be reading any responses or replying as I know these forums are monitored.

Tinm, I hope your little post is worth jeopardizing someones' livelihood - these guys work hard for a living like a lot of people. Be rest assured my posting is on a throwaway email so I will not be reading any responses or replying as I know these forums are monitored.

The hold up on this SC has been rumored to be about the fence (or lack of) for a while now. It was confirmed by corporate in an email on the 3rd of August.

Yup. We knew the fence was the holdup. But I figured it would get done sometime in August. Clearly there's much more to the story. As it turns out, I will be rolling through there in September, and I had planned on charging at the ALB supercharger, on our way to Santa Fe. Since we don't have a Chademo adapter, it looks like we'll be making an unscheduled KOA stop for a couple of hours. Bummer. Maybe we'll download a movie to our tablet to pass the time?

Still, it's not as bad as the Plantation, FL supercharger station that's been in the permit phase for 293 days!