Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Alexandria, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The guys doing Brandon/Portage la Prairie/ Prawda (just started) in Manitoba have only a tiny John Deere backhoe. Unless there's some major electrical trenching to the feed point, I doubt it will be a significant load of construction equipment. Have a look at those threads in Canada for a hint what the site -V3 - should look like. Oh, and the site has the conduits and concrete bases completed (in Brandon's case, for about a month?) and still no pallets of Tesla equipment. I hope when that does arrive install will be quick.

Is it possible there's nothing flagged in the proposed Alexandria location because there's nothing to flag on that grassy knoll? (How does a utility company say "nope, nothing here"?)

Is it possible there's nothing flagged in the proposed Alexandria location because there's nothing to flag on that grassy knoll? (How does a utility company say "nope, nothing here"?)

Oh no - there's definitely some flagging. I saw a few 811 workers spraying on Friday afternoon, too. There's been a little baby backhoe spotted too on a few occasions. If I see actual digging on the parking-lot side of that big electrical box I'll be convinced.

4.jpg

Reactions: lightfoot3b
Oh no - there's definitely some flagging. I saw a few 811 workers spraying on Friday afternoon, too. There's been a little baby backhoe spotted too on a few occasions. If I see actual digging on the parking-lot side of that big electrical box I'll be convinced.

View attachment 435332
That truck in the picture is the contractor working on the CenturyLink utility project. Unfortunately there are still no permits to start digging for the Supercharger. They would need to get started soon if it’s going to happen this season. Not looking good (clearly Canada is the priority right now).

Judging by the map at supercharge.info, Tesla is prioritizing new Superchargers in the following places:
1) Areas where a lot of Supercharging already occurs, which is in and around big metro areas where there are already a lot of cars.
2) Trans-Canada Highway

With #1, Tesla can recover the costs to build Superchargers because these Superchargers are busy. Albert Lea is one where it's worthwhile (only 4 stalls for the original location), but I know that the ones in outstate Minnesota (Hinckley, Baxter, Clearwater) are usually empty (I've only been to Clearwater once-- it might be a little busier than Hinckley, but I've only once seen a second vehicle when I've charged at Baxter). My guess is that their data shows these locations are relatively poorly utilized, so they're maybe not putting a high priority on I-94.

They still seem to think it's worthwhile to invest in Canada, and since the Trans-Canada Highway is only a single route that can be finished relatively easy, I think they'll be done with Canada once that route is finished (except for areas where Superchargers are heavily utilized). Other than Canada, where there is generally only one major route that could be reasonably easy to finish, I would guess they are essentially finished building any Superchargers that don't generate a good amount of revenue for the cost that goes into them. Until that changes, I don't think I-94 will be built.

We could try to change Tesla's mind about I-94. Maybe we should organize a Tweet storm and hammer them about I-94 for some chosen period. Maybe that would get their attention if we can do it in a nice way.
I'd support that although my interests are mainly along I-29. If I was in charge, Alexandria MN would be secondary to Fargo ND, which is at the intersection of I-94 and I-29. Why is Fargo not yet supported? Watertown SD should be just as important as Alexandria in opening up to Fargo...

There are also 4 stalls at Kamloops, Revelstoke and Golden, BC. I had busy issues at all, though some of it was due to equipment problems. Absolutely need 8+ stalls in most areas, though V3 may alleviate some congestion. Remember, they’re building out for the Y and Truck as well as the 3.

The East Towne Mall charger in Madison, WI only has 3, but there's another 8 stall in town.

Judging by the map at supercharge.info, Tesla is prioritizing new Superchargers in the following places:
1) Areas where a lot of Supercharging already occurs, which is in and around big metro areas where there are already a lot of cars.
2) Trans-Canada Highway

With #1, Tesla can recover the costs to build Superchargers because these Superchargers are busy. Albert Lea is one where it's worthwhile (only 4 stalls for the original location), but I know that the ones in outstate Minnesota (Hinckley, Baxter, Clearwater) are usually empty (I've only been to Clearwater once-- it might be a little busier than Hinckley, but I've only once seen a second vehicle when I've charged at Baxter). My guess is that their data shows these locations are relatively poorly utilized, so they're maybe not putting a high priority on I-94.

They still seem to think it's worthwhile to invest in Canada, and since the Trans-Canada Highway is only a single route that can be finished relatively easy, I think they'll be done with Canada once that route is finished (except for areas where Superchargers are heavily utilized). Other than Canada, where there is generally only one major route that could be reasonably easy to finish, I would guess they are essentially finished building any Superchargers that don't generate a good amount of revenue for the cost that goes into them. Until that changes, I don't think I-94 will be built.
Clearwater can't be used as it's an endpoint in the middle of nowhere. If you complete the router I know it will see more use. So that's a bad excuse to give Tesla.

Tweet storm? Full page add in a newspaper is much more effective and picks up media attention.

I'm awaiting a construction meeting in Dickinson before I go the newspaper route. Because if that meetings sets dates, YAY!

Let me add my support if you decide to do a media campaign. I live in upstate NY, but I have friends in North Dakota, and I can't visit them by car due to the "North Dakota Black Hole of Supercharging". I *think* Tesla understands the importance of making it possible to get everywhere... but then I look at things like North Dakota, and I'm not so sure.

Clearwater can't be used as it's an endpoint in the middle of nowhere. If you complete the router I know it will see more use. So that's a bad excuse to give Tesla.

Exactly this. If you build it, they will come. Chicken before the egg problem.

I'd argue, additionally, urban areas with a lot of Teslas would benefit more from increased focus on home charging solutions, instead of sending more superchargers there rather than increasing easy road trip area.

But there’s almost a million people in WINNIPEG and area and they can’t go anywhere until there are superchargers. TransCanada is a nice route but impractical for weekend getaways. Even west to Calgary is 13 hours each way, hardly convenient. However Grand Forks Fargo Alexandria opens up travel within 7 hours to a major metropolis of 4 million plus access to the rest of America without a day or more diversion. Plus it makes the last bit of North America outside of the sparse far north accessible.

He seemed surprised that it was completed but all I am doing is repeating what he said. I emailed him a few days ago but have not heard from him or my Tesla advisor in Calgary. Guess I'll have to deal with Toronto! Just wondering if Tesla is this difficult to deal with before a purchase, all the time.

Tweet storm? Full page add in a newspaper is much more effective and picks up media attention.

I'm awaiting a construction meeting in Dickinson before I go the newspaper route. Because if that meetings sets dates, YAY!
Yes an ad would be more noticeable. But whom would it be directed to? Tesla, local Gov. officials, or just to elevate awareness in general?

I had the thought that we could try to "Supercharge" 94 through ND ourselves. The form could be trailer mounted chademos with biodiesel-fueled generators. This would actually put charging in the wild and, likely, attract free media attention...two birds one stone. Headline could read something like: "Tesla Owners Take Charge of Procrastinating Tesla." I'm sure electrek, teslarati, kmanauto, would all cover it, if not conventional news outlets.