Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ann Arbor, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by to check this out last week and noticed that the plastic housing of the leftmost stall is damaged. Apparently this is not what's holding up the project since the transformer is still not connected, but I thought this was worth noting. This photo was shot from the rear of the stall. It's a shame to see one broken like that. I know to most people these are as exciting as gas pumps but I think they're quite beautiful.

image1.jpg

@ALephart - Congrats on your first post. I wish you had chosen a better way to communicate your first message. Please make an effort to welcome new owners and electric car supporters. Being quick to bite at each other is not going to help the overall effort. We are all on the same team here. Many people were giving the wrong impression about the SC network from sales staff and other owners. It is important that we try to get the message out in a way that will be received. Be supportive and explain the reasoning behind your statements.

@Charles - Welcome! Congrats on your first post. It is common to find yourself in the middle of flames on forums like this. Don't let it discourage you. ALephart was trying to tip you off to a recent statement by the founder of Tesla about the use of the SC network. Many...Many...owners were given the impression that the SC network was free to charge at anytime...and it is...however some people have abused the SC network. This includes taxi cabs and people that never installed charging equipment/outlets at their homes. No need to go into depth in this thread as it is for the A2 SC installation. It will be hard for you to miss all the conversations about this in the various sections of this forum.

We all appreciate you posting the new photos of the A2 SC. You provided images and information that none of us had yet. That is what makes these forums great! Please keep the information flowing and providing value to the community. It is appreciated.

Charles, your energetic response likely corresponds with Elon Musk's comment about use by local owners. CHARGE AT HOME, and stop sucking off the power tit unless required for long travel.

I interpreted Charles message that he is excited about a Supercharger coming near him, not that he intends to use it on a regular basis. And your post is unnecessarily mean spirited.

I interpreted Charles message that he is excited about a Supercharger coming near him, not that he intends to use it on a regular basis.

I agree, I was really excited when a super charger opened up less than a mile from where I work, but I have only used it once (just to check it out). I think most of us would be excited about a supercharger opening up close to home.

As others said, welcome Charles and thanks for posting the pics! I too was excited about the Indianapolis SC opening a few months ago, and I don't even own a Model S!

Thanks also to others for their calm and magnanimous replies/explanations. We're all friends here :)

I agree, I was really excited when a super charger opened up less than a mile from where I work, but I have only used it once (just to check it out). I think most of us would be excited about a supercharger opening up close to home.

Yes, a Supercharger in the neighborhood means the next one is within easy reach (in most cases) and a simple daily charge at your own home will get you there.

I stopped by the site and took a look at the materials that are in front of the supercharger cabinet -- they are mostly sheet metal and ductwork. I would guess that it is meant for some of the ongoing building construction in the outparcel that is nearby. That said, I did see some conduit positioned near the transformer pad:
image.jpg

Also, on the other side of the street from the supercharger construction site, I found this:
image.jpg

The tubing on the coil appears to be about the same diameter as the conduit. Perhaps someone who is more savvy about these things can clarify if it is flexible conduit or drain line (the intersection is currently under construction). It was mentioned upthread that DTE was going to have to bore under the street to bring the line to the transformer pad, so the location would be appropriate for a project like that.

On another note, if someone needs to do a long charge during breakfast time, I strongly recommended Nick's Pancake House -- it's maybe a five-minute walk (in good weather) from the supercharger site.

Thanks for the welcome, all.

I am proud to be part of the Tesla community, and excited that Ann Arbor will soon be home to a SuperCharger. I see the development of the SuperCharger network as critical to Tesla's success (and the long-term value of my investment), and hope we see more and more of these pop up across the state. I happily charge my car on a newly installed 220V outlet in my garage, and dismiss the negative comments from @ALephart as being misguided (whatever is bothering you, man, I hope you're relieved of it soon. Life is too short).

@ALephart - Congrats on your first post. I wish you had chosen a better way to communicate your first message. Please make an effort to welcome new owners and electric car supporters. Being quick to bite at each other is not going to help the overall effort. We are all on the same team here. Many people were giving the wrong impression about the SC network from sales staff and other owners. It is important that we try to get the message out in a way that will be received. Be supportive and explain the reasoning behind your statements.

@Charles - Welcome! Congrats on your first post. It is common to find yourself in the middle of flames on forums like this. Don't let it discourage you. ALephart was trying to tip you off to a recent statement by the founder of Tesla about the use of the SC network. Many...Many...owners were given the impression that the SC network was free to charge at anytime...and it is...however some people have abused the SC network. This includes taxi cabs and people that never installed charging equipment/outlets at their homes. No need to go into depth in this thread as it is for the A2 SC installation. It will be hard for you to miss all the conversations about this in the various sections of this forum.

We all appreciate you posting the new photos of the A2 SC. You provided images and information that none of us had yet. That is what makes these forums great! Please keep the information flowing and providing value to the community. It is appreciated.