Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Auburn, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the lower sun score and also that WA ranks 2nd in U.S. (only behind Oregon) for renewable energy a solar array IMO would probably be better saved for another location.

FYI Seattle gets 70% of the sunshine that LA gets. It’s just that we get it during long summer days, and little in the winter (but more recently with global warming changing the “usual” weather patterns).

FYI Seattle gets 70% of the sunshine that LA gets. It’s just that we get it during long summer days, and little in the winter (but more recently with global warming changing the “usual” weather patterns).
70% is still just 70%. And the angle of the sun is much lower. Also having it more evenly spread throughout the seasons is preferable. But the real elephant in the room is the relatively (much) cheaper electricity in WA when compared to CA.

70% is still just 70%. And the angle of the sun is much lower. Also having it more evenly spread throughout the seasons is preferable. But the real elephant in the room is the relatively (much) cheaper electricity in WA when compared to CA.
Yup. I looked into solar. Due to our low electricity rates and my home’s unfavorable roof pitch, it would take decades to break even.

At least with net metering for residential systems solar still pays off after 5 plus years in the pnw
I'm not making any argument for or against the use of solar in the area. I'm just saying that from Tesla's perspective, nearly every other supercharger location in the country makes more sense for solar, so I wouldn't expect a solar-powered supercharger in Western Washington until they are installing solar at every supercharger location, which they clearly are not doing at the moment.

I'm not making any argument for or against the use of solar in the area. I'm just saying that from Tesla's perspective, nearly every other supercharger location in the country makes more sense for solar, so I wouldn't expect a solar-powered supercharger in Western Washington until they are installing solar at every supercharger location, which they clearly are not doing at the moment.

Actually for Supercharging the only accurate capital justification is to curb peak demand charges at a given site with the integration of solar and power-packs. Otherwise, it is just a pure marketing ploy.

For example the cost to implement the solar and power-packs at both Kettleman City, CA and the Linq in Las Vegas, NV does not pencil financially speaking. At Kettleman, CA it was a pure marketing ploy, by Tesla directly, which of course is a good thing because Tesla, as we all know, spends little to nothing on marketing.

At Las Vegas, NV I'm pretty sure it was a marketing ploy for Cesaer's Entertainment to add to their sustainability percentage as the use from the Superchargers would be insignificant compared to their overall power use for just the High Roller alone ie demand charges would never come into play. Pretty sure Tesla is also not paying for any electricity at the Linq either. NV Energy is a public company so I imagine that could be confirmed with a public records request against the site address.

Of which, both of these sites have way more peak sun exposure then any Washington State site.

C78944C8-E415-4E24-B452-9134DCB092C4.jpeg
No progress as of 8/17/19

I've been watching patiently for this, but the urgency has increased a bit. Our garage door broke yesterday and we have it bolted closed for safety until it can be replaced -- probably sometime next week, depending on parts and availability. Our 14-50 cable won't reach the driveway, and using a single 110 circuit for our two cars is a little more of a challenge. When I last checked, the three nearest public chargers had all had their cables cut by thieves trying to recycle the wiring. I think the next three nearest options might be Chevy, Nissan, and Kia dealers, which might not go over well. There are other options, but each just a little more inconvenient than the next. Luckily, I don't have any long drives required in the near future.

Guess I'll look into a 14-50 extension cord if the 110 option doesn't work out.

View attachment 443133 No progress as of 8/17/19

So sad...

ROTFLMAO... Sorry just saw this post...

Let me trying and look at this objectively...

The West Supercharger Team looses their SW Regional Installation Program Manager in December, they then layoff their only PNW Installation Program Manager in January and just a month or so ago their SW. Sr. Installation Program Manager quits... This leaves one person to cover 11 states with a handful of pending sites WA (17), OR (12), ID (2), MT (3), WY (3), NV (1), UT (2), CO (11), AZ (3), NW (4), & TX (19); a total of 80 sites that are far enough along for Tesla to post them publicly on their website. This does not even take into account any potential front-end work that this person may also be involved in. I truly feel sad for this guy... For a stark contrast CA has 93 potential sites but a team of 20 plus to divide up the work. (references Linked In & Tesla Website) Just 4 out of the 11 states surpass California's population not to mention the geographical area this person now has to cover.

The West SuperCharger Team now only has one Installation Program Manager for all of the West Region, though in a bid to keep their only IMP from leaving they promoted him to Regional Installation Program Manager and now have 3 reqs open...

Installation Program Manager - Seattle, WA Based
Tesla hiring Installation Program Manager in Seattle, WA, US | LinkedIn

Installation Program Manager - Dallas, TX Based
Tesla hiring Installation Program Manager (remote) in Dallas, TX, US | LinkedIn

...and the previously req for a Construction Manager - Seattle, WA

This has all the red flags for below market salaries and ineffective middle/regional management that is unable/unwilling to retain or secure valuable resources for their region's team.

Just sad...

Don't get me wrong I love Tesla and the mission but "management" has to value their people and customers equally.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 6.23.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 6.23.44 PM.png
    95.7 KB · Views: 92
So this site started the middle of May and now 3 months later it is still not operational. God what a joke... Cle Elum, WA was open to public in just 23 days... Tesla Supercharger Management needs to get their s@#$%^&t together... Just saying...
The holdup here, and across the country, is a shortage of V2 pedestals. Who knows what supply chain foul up caused that.

Reactions: Araman0
The holdup here, and across the country, is a shortage of V2 pedestals. Who knows what supply chain foul up caused that.

It stinks of piss poor management not a supply chain issues and more than likely someone in upper management making the decision to redirect resources to V3 production instead of sites already permitted with V2 posts. For example it appears that both Auburn and Blaine sites broke ground before the V3 Las Vegas sites.