Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Aulac, NB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No need to worry @rypalmer, the Superchargers are now up!
D718EA55-EE23-4367-8D91-61958F9C6729.jpeg

Good thing the ChaDeMo system is in place. Been there a whole year at this point. Far better than nothing.
Yes, I've been impressed by the availability of Chademo chargers in even the more rural parts of Canada. I've never had to use them but they were often my Plan B. You don't see the same kind of coverage south of the border in places like North Dakota and Wyoming.

That website is not official - but crowdsourced by all of us. It has NOTHING to do with Tesla - who continue to build lots of charger locations that never show up on that website until they are open...

I recognize that. Your underlying assumption is that there is a tenfold reduction in the activity of the 'crowd' reporting to the site. That seems no less odd. The simplest explanation in a tenfold drop in crowdsourced observations is a [something like] tenfold drop in activity. Indeed, the rate of SC openings changed by a similar factor.
If BlueShift were on vacation, I'd expect there to be zero updates rather than just a couple.

I think the real explanation is just that 1 week (or even two) is just too little time over which to average activity.

I recognize that. Your underlying assumption is that there is a tenfold reduction in the activity of the 'crowd' reporting to the site. That seems no less odd. The simplest explanation in a tenfold drop in crowdsourced observations is a [something like] tenfold drop in activity. Indeed, the rate of SC openings changed by a similar factor.
If BlueShift were on vacation, I'd expect there to be zero updates rather than just a couple.

I think the real explanation is just that 1 week (or even two) is just too little time over which to average activity.
I'm actually not assuming any of that. Or assuming anything at all. I was saying that a crowdsourced website has nothing to do with Tesla's supercharger rollout. Others have thought in the past it was official and even got upset at times at the pins... Tesla reports none of this to anyone until it is powered up.

Well TBH I’m thinking Moncton may not happen with it being so close to Aulac only about 50 KM and Saint John and Fredericton roughly 200 km from Aulac but you may know Tesla reason for doing it.
Just that it could potentially follow a similar pattern in many other cities - urban-style SCs at major shopping centres operated by Cadillac Fairview, in this case Champlain Place, or at Smart Centres, such as the one in Fredericton.

Just that it could potentially follow a similar pattern in many other cities - urban-style SCs at major shopping centres operated by Cadillac Fairview, in this case Champlain Place, or at Smart Centres, such as the one in Fredericton.
Might be a good time to re-re-revise your estimated completion time.

• Funny
Reactions: shonline
Well TBH I’m thinking Moncton may not happen with it being so close to Aulac only about 50 KM and Saint John and Fredericton roughly 200 km from Aulac but you may know Tesla reason for doing it. Perhaps a gateway to PEI but Aulac is also a route to PEI
Spoke with the workers and owner of Aulac and they are saying done by end of next week

200km is too far for winter driving in proper cold. It will happen* at some point.

* If Tesla is

200km is too far for winter driving in proper cold. It will happen* at some point.

* If Tesla is

In my opinion and experience, 200km is not an issue in the "proper" cold. I have a 90D and the shortest range in the winter I have had was around 305km. that was charging at the beginning to 95% SOC. I got home after driving in the snow and cold with 35% left and extrapolte the remainder would be around 305km - 315km. Now the most popular Tesla right now and will be for the time being is the Model 3 with long range batter... give 500km on a full charge in "good" conditions. I think that car is going to be very efficient in the winter. the reduced range on that car may be really good at 10-15%. Unlike my S at 25-35%.

Reactions: JSergeant
It's great that the long range 3s have the range they have, but the rated range of my S 75D is going to be comparable to a lot of mass market EVs, eventually. Also comparable to the 90 Xs in the fleet.

Coldest drive I've ever done was Charlottetown to Toronto this past January. It was -16°C leaving Fredericton, and only got colder, bottoming out at -28°C (w/o the windchill because that's fake cold) between Laval and Ottawa. At those temperatures in a S 75D you must range charge to high states of charge just to get 200km range with safety. 2 hours driving = 1 hour of charging. A significant increase in the time required. It sucks.

Therefor IMHO the ideal distance between Superchargers in Canada is closer to 130km. Ideal for skipping every second one in temperatures as low as 0° while not range charging, and spaced close enough that extreme (not just the cold) weather doesn't cause you to range charge.

I disagree. What battery size do you have?

My 2 year old 75D will do 400km on a full charge in the summer on the highway. If I drive 100 km/hour, it will do more.

In the winter, with snow tires, in the snow, when it is cold, I have certainly seen it drop to less than 350 km. I'm not sure how low, but you might convince me that you can only get 300 km of range in those conditions. But I cannot imagine a Tesla that could not manage 200 km at any time of the year.

That's right, the 90d can do it, now for that 60 RWD, that would be short... Or the upcoming model 3 with the smaller battery pack.

I can't say what the 60 RWD would do, but I will bet money the Model 3 with short range battery will easily do 300 km in the winter. It's promised to do the same range as my Model S 75D (~400 km) in summer weather (it has a smaller battery, but it's ~1000 pounds lighter or something).

There is no way any Model 3 so far advertised will not be able to manage 200 km, regardless of conditions. Unless you're driving straight uphill the entire 200 km.

BTW, the "usable" battery in a 75D is actually 72.4 kWh.

Assuming a 60 RWD has 60/72.4 as much range, that's 82.873% as much range. Which means EVEN if my car can only do 300 km in the worst winter cold (I am sure it can further), then a 60 RWD would STILL go ~250 km in the same conditions.

200 km is a benchmark that only other EV cars need to worry about.