Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barstow (EXPANDED, 5 stalls added, now 16 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I made it to Vegas today. Had some pucker factor when I reached the climb at Haloran pass and the next mountain.

Felt a little cocky so I drove at 70 most the way after a full charge at Cucamonga in my 75D. Maxed at 227 miles. It kept saying keep it at 60 to make the destination...but come on, we all know that's for the wimps. Well on the climb up I went from having 15 extra to 6 short. Had to slow in the truck lane to 55 for about 10 miles. Thank god for the downhill to Primm. Arrived with 5 miles. Damn!! Could have pushed it harder.

Does anyone know if the drive back to LA is harder? Can I go 75mph?!? I'm guessing no. Good luck to everyone else making the trip.

BTW. Had the suspension at very low, range mode on, A/c on low, 400 total weight and about 10 mph wind forecasted. Outside temp about 70 F. Hope this helps.
A lot depends on wind conditions, one time leaving LV I encountered strong headwinds, so check weather.

In the future, there will be backup DCFC along I-15 in the form of ChargePoint 50kW CHAdeMO + CCS stations. CEC grants identify 2 each in Barstow, 2 each in Yermo, 4 each in Baker, 2 each in Nipton. That is in order from Barstow to Primm.

Map of Future CEC Funded DCFC sites

The map above was made from the addresses of sites listed in public CEC documents. There is no known schedule for these to be installed.

When you say two each, do you mean they are independent? Or are they like most of the stations where a single station has both types of plugs, but only one can be used at a time?
Two complete stations. Each station will have one CHAdeMO connector and one SAE Combo (CCS) connector, only one of which can be used simultaneously. If you are familiar with other California Supercharger stations, there is a pair of ChargePoint 50kW stations at Buellton and a set of 4 in the parking garage under the San Mateo Supercharger. There are pictures on Plugshare for these locations that clearly show these stations.

The grants mentioned above also require conduit stubs that can support a future 125kVA charging station. I am really hoping that the VW settlement will fund installation of such chargers at these locations when they are commercially available.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
I had a chat to Tesla Support today.

They said they'll have more info in a couple of days, but according to her, superchargers aren't down for more than a couple of days lol.

I'm travelling to Vegas 12/1. Thinking of flying instead but I do have a chademo adapter (Courtesy of TeslaBjørn) so I will most likely just sign up for EvGo and charge along the way if it's not fixed by then.

If I go at 65mph from Rancho Cucamonga to prime with 100% will I make it? (P90D X with 22s)

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam and GSP
I had a chat to Tesla Support today.

They said they'll have more info in a couple of days, but according to her, superchargers aren't down for more than a couple of days lol.

I'm travelling to Vegas 12/1. Thinking of flying instead but I do have a chademo adapter (Courtesy of TeslaBjørn) so I will most likely just sign up for EvGo and charge along the way if it's not fixed by then.

If I go at 65mph from Rancho Cucamonga to prime with 100% will I make it? (P90D X with 22s)

Yeah. My 75D just made it with 22". Keep it to 65 to be safe, lower the suspension to very low and put range mode on. You'll get stressed suring the mountain climb by Primm but it will be no problem.

• Informative
Reactions: spentan
I hope now you realize that the Energy graph prediction can be pretty accurate and worth taking seriously.

As for the "10mph wind forecasted" I assume you meant it was more of a headwind than a tailwind?

Yes...I assumed a headwind. Looked like the predictions were for 6 mph crosswinds.

When I'm around my neck of the woods and it says slow below a speed I never do. I actually push it harder to get a better idea of what the real range is. It just doesn't leave me with a buffer. I recommend pushing your car with range when you're in a familiar location. Doing this squashes range anxiety since you see the warnings are early and meant to protect the average driver.

• Helpful
Reactions: jvonbokel
I'm surprised no TMC members have been through Barstow yet so we can see pictures of the damage or learn if Tesla has set up some portable Superchargers there.
I recommend pushing your car with range when you're in a familiar location. Doing this squashes range anxiety since you see the warnings are early and meant to protect the average driver.
And I recommend not doing that because you can run out of range unexpectedly. It is not always possible to drive a Tesla down to zero range and it may get to zero faster than you anticipate.

Reactions: jvonbokel and GSP
I'm surprised no TMC members have been through Barstow yet so we can see pictures of the damage or learn if Tesla has set up some portable Superchargers there.
And I recommend not doing that because you can run out of range unexpectedly. It is not always possible to drive a Tesla down to zero range and it may get to zero faster than you anticipate.

To each there own. I want to feel comfortable knowing the limits of my X and S. It's made for great road trips with almost no range anxiety.

If I followed the directions of the navigation from my full charge in Cucamonga it would have had me drive through Needles to get to Las Vegas. If I didn't know its limits I may have cancelled my trip.

To cover myself I also used Ev trip planner. It was pretty accurate.

Reactions: jvonbokel
Made our usual Lancaster to Henderson trip in our S60 this weekend. Normally we would stop in Barstow for about 40 minutes but that was obviously not an option this weekend. Instead we traveled to Mojave first then on to Primm. Yesterday returning home was Primm to Mojave for charging. Both times we stuck to the speed limit (for the most part) and made it between the 2 SCs with 25-30 miles "left in the tank". Both ways the GPS routed us on "Old Hwy 58" which took us nowhere near the Lenwood Road Barstow SC to check out what the problem was.

I posted this on Facebook, and I'm happy to post it here too.

I have 2 Chademo Adaptors that I'd be happy to lend out to Tesla Owners while Barstow is down. Note that you'll need an EVGO Membership (Casual is $5 setup and $5 + $0.20c/min) to use it at Victor Valley Mall (There are 2 Chademo Chargers there)

To borrow the Chademos, I will charge a security deposit of $400 each. But I will refund that completely upon safe return of the charging adapter. Let me know, I'm in South Orange County (Ladera Ranch)

I posted this on Facebook, and I'm happy to post it here too.

I have 2 Chademo Adaptors that I'd be happy to lend out to Tesla Owners while Barstow is down. Note that you'll need an EVGO Membership (Casual is $5 setup and $5 + $0.20c/min) to use it at Victor Valley Mall (There are 2 Chademo Chargers there)

To borrow the Chademos, I will charge a security deposit of $400 each. But I will refund that completely upon safe return of the charging adapter. Let me know, I'm in South Orange County (Ladera Ranch)

That's very nice of you! Now if only i live closer to OC and not over an hour away...

So is it possible to go from LA to Primm on a 85 charged to 100%? Using EVTripPlanner, it shows that I don't even have to stop at Rancho SC and can go directly to Primm, but is it accurate?

It looks like you would use 90.7 kWh and 302 rated miles. Does not look possible with an 85; maybe with a P100D. My 85 D is rated at 270 mile range.

GSP

Looks like there is a bug in the Trip Planner that will route you to Barstow to charge even though it is closed.

It will pop up with a warning if you select Barstow Supercharger as the destination, but not if you select a point past it (Rancho Cucamonga in the example below.)

BarstowSC1.jpg

BarstowSC2.JPG

BarstowSC3.JPG

It looks like you would use 90.7 kWh and 302 rated miles. Does not look possible with an 85; maybe with a P100D. My 85 D is rated at 270 mile range.

GSP

Thanks for pointing out the energy usage. Looks like from Rancho Cucamonga to Primm will use 75kwh, so assuming that's correct there will be 10kwh left when arriving Primm. Is 10kwh too little of a buffer?

Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 1.41.30 PM.png

Thanks for pointing out the energy usage. Looks like from Rancho Cucamonga to Primm will use 75kwh, so assuming that's correct there will be 10kwh left when arriving Primm. Is 10kwh too little of a buffer?

View attachment 203211
You may want to try again with a speed multiplier of 1.1 and see what you get. Most people drive 75+ on that route. You will definitely be driving slow in the right lane most of the way.