Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barstow (EXPANDED, 5 stalls added, now 16 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Arrived at 6 PM today and 7 of the 8 chargers were occupied, whew! But as I was walking away, two cars pulled out.

I arrived yesterday evening around 8:30 pm and all stall were briefly full at 8:42 pm, but then two cars left. It was down to only 3 of 8 stalls occupied at around 10 pm and only 1 car at 10:58 pm (we are staying at the hotel next to the supercharger). Hopefully the epic line was a one time occurance.

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam
I arrived yesterday evening around 8:30 pm and all stall were briefly full at 8:42 pm, but then two cars left. It was down to only 3 of 8 stalls occupied at around 10 pm and only 1 car at 10:58 pm (we are staying at the hotel next to the supercharger). Hopefully the epic line was a one time occurance.

With New Year's this weekend, I expect a replay of last weekend.

Primm to Rancho supercharger is 183 miles. If you have a 85 kWh or larger battery, it needs extremely high wind, low temperature and high speed to not able to skip Barstow.

The other way gains elevation though so it's a little tougher. Either way you should be fine if you stay under the speed limit though. This is annoying but obviously preferable to waiting in the damn line at Barstow for two hours.

Problem is knowing ahead of time. If people spend more than twice the time at Primm or Rancho those will start to have lines quickly. Charging to 100% takes more than twice as long as charging just as much as you need.
This is so within Tesla's ability to provide some form of real-time occupancy data. Many issues would be lessoned if we at least knew what the h*** the current status was.

Reactions: freeewilly
Wow! What a difference compared with 3 days ago! I am the only one charging at the Barstow SC...

At 7:30 pm on thurs evening, I pulled up and got the last spot. Another car pulled up a couple minutes later and had to wait about 15 min to get a spot. When I left there were 2 open spots. I imagine during peak driving times the next few days it is going to be quite bad as well. They really should bring down a temporary charger.

I was there on mon during the whole line fiasco (took me about 3 hours of waiting and 1 of charging), and most people there were families and were saying how they are not going to be taking the Tesla on road trips anymore. Early adopters don't mind occasional issues, but once you pack up your whole family in the car and have to wait 4 hours to charge no one is going to put up with taking it for road trips and it'll be back to ICE.

Obviously Tesla isn't going to get it right 100% of the time, but honestly they have not been pro-active with Barstow and they have only themselves to blame for the damage these issues are doing to their brand. It is a choke point on one of the busiest road trip routes that exist. They had 8 stalls 2 years ago. And in that time they've at least doubled the number of cars on the road. Yes they added Primm and Rancho, but most people still have to stop at barstow - and people shouldn't have to hog spots at Primm charging to 100% (very inefficient time-wise) just so they can make it to rancho.

Do they realize that once they deliver those 500k+ model 3's, they're probably going to need 30+ stalls at Barstow?

Victorville makes a ton of sense, since it's not much farther than Barstow and can be located at a large mall, it should be relatively easy to make it between primm and victorville.

Baker would be awesome, and probably necessary once the model 3 comes out, but I wonder if they would have issues getting that much power that far out there. Even a full 8 stall supercharger will probably use more power than the whole rest of the town.

This is so within Tesla's ability to provide some form of real-time occupancy data. Many issues would be lessoned if we at least knew what the h*** the current status was.

The problem is, there's no easy way to show if people are waiting. I guess they could do some sort of check of the cars in proximity to the charger and if they see more than are charging they could assume there is a wait.

And what would happen with a scenario like monday where one of the chargers wasn't working. It would look like there was a spot open when really there wasn't.

Wow, pretty sh!tty situation all around. Will make me do extra research for CCS charging stations (and backup stations and backups to the backups) for road trips I will be doing with my Bolt. CCS stations are more dense than Supercharger sites where I live/drive, but the odds of a particular station being occupied are much higher.

Baker would be awesome, and probably necessary once the model 3 comes out, but I wonder if they would have issues getting that much power that far out there. Even a full 8 stall supercharger will probably use more power than the whole rest of the town.

Baker will be taken care of in 2017 by this non-Tesla solution (Though Tesla will be compatible if you have the CHAdeMO adapter) 1st Non-Tesla High-Power EV Charging Station In USA!! Thanks, EVgo

• Funny