Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barstow (EXPANDED, 5 stalls added, now 16 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We left Primm at 96% last night and made Rancho Cucamonga with 20%, driving 65 mostly, at night so little traffic. 2013 S85

There is NOWHERE to pee near the RC supercharger! Except some bushes.

I am guessing this was after the mall was closed for the night? I would expect that to be an issue at a lot of supercharger locations that don't have 24/7 services near by.

Left my house with 100% and 250mile range.
Stopped by rancho just to top off just in case. Thought I had plenty but those hills 40miles from Primm really kill you so be really careful!!! I wa last going about 80 most of the way and had about 70mile range when I hit the hills before Primm(40miles away).
Going up the hill towards the end I was actually negative range and was sweating bullets. When I went down hill I was going about 65 the all the way down to Primm.
People were giving me crazy looks. Lol

Hopefully Barstow will be fixed in 2 days when I leave. Lol

FYI. Just made it back from Vegas today. 100% at Primm. Did 70-75 most the way. Got a little nervous towards the end but made it to Cucamonga with 20 miles. Dang. Could have gone faster.

Basically I've found that when the car says a speed you must maintain to reach the destination...you can push it 5 over and still easily make it. They like to give rookies a buffer.

Disclaimer....I did this to and from Vegas, but unless you're comfortable playing with the range, I would just follow what it says. Overall it's pretty helpful.

It may have been industrial sabotage, but it may also have been somebody wanted those circuit breakers for another project. I was peripherally involved in a major building remodel last year. Initially it was being managed by one of the owner's brother-in-law who is a Russian immigrant who does remodeling projects. He got fired because he's alcoholic and never showed up, but his crew stole stuff on a couple of occasions. One time was just after the security camera was installed. They never got a face or a license plate, but the perps knew exactly what they were looking for and where it was stored.

These guys buy trashed houses, refurbish them in their spare time, and sell them. Everyone figured they stole the stuff for one of these projects.

Usually different circuit breakers would be used for DC and AC, but there are some that are dual purpose. They may be going into a solar installation or some industrial application. These people took only the circuit breakers and left hundreds of dollars worth of metal (scrap prices). If someone was trying to do industrial sabotage, they could have done many things that would take down the supercharger a lot longer than just stealing the circuit breakers.

it may also have been somebody wanted those circuit breakers for another project.
That's my thought - those circuit breakers are worth at least $100 / ea and could be up to $300 or more each. For someone looking for or needing 480VAC breakers they could be quite valuable.

From the pic, it appeared that the thieves left the supply breaker / wires in place and cut the other wires. They knew what they were doing to avoid electrocution.

That's my thought - those circuit breakers are worth at least $100 / ea and could be up to $300 or more each. For someone looking for or needing 480VAC breakers they could be quite valuable.

Really...? How oddly convenient and coincidental it would be that a primary Supercharger just so happens to get sabotaged a day before one of the biggest travel days of the year? That's being quite blind to the obvious if you ask me.

From the pic, it appeared that the thieves left the supply breaker / wires in place and cut the other wires. They knew what they were doing to avoid electrocution.

Really...? How oddly convenient and coincidental it would be that a primary Supercharger just so happens to get sabotaged a day before one of the biggest travel days of the year? That's being quite blind to the obvious if you ask me.

Insideevs now has a story about the Barstow Supercharger, including pictures of what was vandalized:
Barstow, CA Tesla Supercharger Vandalized Before Thanksgiving Weekend
Finally, information and photos.

The person(s) who did this knew how to disable all the charging pedestals with the least amount of effort. This was not random vandalism or a drunken drug-fueled prank or someone stealing copper for money. This was deliberate sabotage done by a person who knew how to avoid being electrocuted.

My conclusion: this was done by someone who wants to make Tesla look bad just before the busiest US travel weekend of the year on a very heavily used route.

And this is going to be difficult to prevent. The cabinets were locked. Of course locks can be broken. Tesla can build a locked enclosure around the cabinets, but they can't make the enclosure impregnable.

Security cameras don't solve the problem. If the cameras are mounted within 10 ft of the ground it is easy to block their view with spray paint. Even mounted on high poles, it's easy for perpetrators to hide their faces and temporarily cover the license plate of their vehicle.

Security cameras don't solve the problem. If the cameras are mounted within 10 ft of the ground it is easy to block their view with spray paint. Even mounted on high poles, it's easy for perpetrators to hide their faces and temporarily cover the license plate of their vehicle.
This is true, though hidden cameras inside of the cabinets may be unexpected and could be an aid in tracking down vandals or thieves.

So, do people think this will be a major problem this weekend?

Or will The Who's in Whoville keep singing? Like nothing happened at all.
I think there will be a major problem. Most people do not peruse the forums like we do. In addition, the software is still routing people to Barstow as long as it is listed as one leg of the trip. Only if you try to choose Barstow will the alert appear. There will be a lot of people stuck and TM will have to provide tow trucks to get them to the next SC.

UPDATE to my earlier post: I just entered "Las Vegas NV" as a nav destination in my S85 which currently shows 220 miles of range. I live near San Francisco. The resulting route displayed in the nav took me as follows:

Gilroy (charge for 15 minutes) / Harris Ranch (charge for 50 minutes) / Mohave (charge for 60 minutes) / Primm (charge for 15 minutes) / arrive in Las Vegas with 29% SOC.

So contrary to what some others have reported in this thread recently, the car nav knows that Barstow is not available right now. For my route it clearly indicates that I have to do a full charge in Mohave to get to Primm, which is about 183 miles (an S60 could maybe make that at 55-60mph with no significant headwinds). The displayed route doesn't even show the Barstow Supercharger, but I noticed that while it was calculating the route the map did show Barstow but not with the usual symbol, it showed a different and grey-out symbol which I assume indicated that the Barstow Supercharger was not available to the route planning software.

So the Tesla car nav appears to be smarter than some people think it is.

Tony Williams provided the photo & here is one of his comments from insideevs...
Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 8.52.17 AM.png

So Tesla hasn't secured the area & its going to take a week to replace 1 panel & a 4 circuit breakers?