Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barstow (EXPANDED, 5 stalls added, now 16 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Thanks for the messages. I did finally get a hold of roadside assistance and they said its back on, but speed might be a bit slower than usual. We'll see. Wish me luck!

Mario
Have a nice trip! If charge speed is down, then just use it to add to your margin. Not worth sitting there for hours for a big charge. Start out with a range charge at your first stop, add a bit in Barstow and make Primm with a good margin.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Follow up to my earlier post, shown below: now that Barstow is back online I entered Las Vegas as a nav destination and this time the displayed route was very different from before (with the same starting SOC). This time it showed: Gilroy / Buttonwillow / Barstow / arrive in Vegas with 13% left. This tells me that the car nav was aware yesterday that Barstow was offline and compensated for that.
I just entered "Las Vegas NV" as a nav destination in my S85 which currently shows 220 miles of range. I live near San Francisco. The resulting route displayed in the nav took me as follows:

Gilroy (charge for 15 minutes) / Harris Ranch (charge for 50 minutes) / Mohave (charge for 60 minutes) / Primm (charge for 15 minutes) / arrive in Las Vegas with 29% SOC.

So contrary to what some others have reported in this thread recently, the car nav knows that Barstow is not available right now. For my route it clearly indicates that I have to do a full charge in Mohave to get to Primm, which is about 183 miles (an S60 could maybe make that at 55-60mph with no significant headwinds). The displayed route doesn't even show the Barstow Supercharger

Thank you all for the updates everyone. This outage should shed light on how critical this location is to travel to/from Las Vegas (a popular route). Tesla, if you are listening, we need a supercharger in Baker, CA.
That's part of the problem in a number of sections of the network right now. There isn't much redundancy. We're mostly insulated from it here in CA because of the densities we have, but on a lot of the cross-country routes an outage of an entire location could easily strand travelers.

Certainly I agree this route is important. This event illustrated why it's nice to have both more stalls and more locations. A mega-Supercharger like Fremont #2 with 20+ stalls is great, but if it'd down due to vandalism, loss of utility power, or whatever, we're going to be glad there are others nearby.

Seems like Tesla did an OK job responding to a first-of-it's-kind (at least as far as I'm aware) event.

Barstow is at a major junction for highway travel to and from Southern California and Central California. I would be curious to find out how many people who charge at Barstow are going to/from the Central Valley as opposed to Southern California, and how many are going to/from Arizona on Interstate 40 versus Las Vegas and points north on Interstate 15.

It might make more sense to place a second Supercharger near Peggy Sue's Diner in Yermo :cool: instead of Hesperia. The current Barstow location in Lenwood is a short detour for those who use California 58 to reach Barstow.

Stopped by Barstow SC today, everything seems to be operational again. By the way, saw this guy parked backward in front of stall 1B's spot and charging using the plug in stall 1A :eek: Another car arrived and had to wait since all other stalls are taken.

IMG_3344.JPG

Stopped by Barstow SC today, everything seems to be operational again. By the way, saw this guy parked backward in front of stall 1B's spot and charging using the plug in stall 1A :eek: Another car arrived and had to wait since all other stalls are taken.

View attachment 203671
I was there on Friday morning and saw the same parking job in the same stall too! Except it was a red Tesla...

Sorry for the blurry photo :oops:
Yk1HNWY.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: EVCarGUy
Looks like that stall confusion is not infrequent at this location.

In your photo, is the small grey cabinet just to the right of the leftmost large yellow bollard the cabinet that was vandalized?

View attachment 203671

The problem is clearly that they didn't remove the old white lines, which are directing people to park in front of the supercharger, not behind. Norman Parking.

It might make more sense to place a second Supercharger near Peggy Sue's Diner in Yermo :cool: instead of Hesperia. The current Barstow location in Lenwood is a short detour for those who use California 58 to reach Barstow.
Long term, with good sales at Tesla, the right answer is "all of the above". While it's exciting to see how much progress has been made in the SC network, ultimately the goal is to have millions of Model 3 cars on the road.

Those driving from Las Vegas and the Mojave Desert up to the Big Bear Lake area in the San Bernardino Mountains would benefit from an SC somewhere northeast of Barstow, as in Yermo and/or Baker. That would allow us to head straight up the "back side" of the mountain, via CA-247, Lucerne Valley, and CA-18, without having to detour over to the southwest side of Barstow for the current SC. For those of us with larger battery packs, Primm enables this, but you need to pick up plenty of charge. Plenty of folks from Las Vegas like to visit Big Bear.

I agree that a Hesperia SC would be convenient for those coming down US-395. It could also be nice for folks driving across the High Desert to the east, including those of us who sometimes take CA-138 up into the Crestline and Lake Arrowhead areas of the San Bernardino Mountains.

BTW, the snow is beautiful up here right now. I should be outside...

Reactions: KJD