Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charged 4/27/2021, I had no Wifi service in the garage. Showed active icon and number of available stalls. Let’s see how long this status lasts, hopefully what ever bugs there were have been found.

Attachments

• B0253C31-AD4F-43F8-A7F8-3C71A5C15296.jpeg
    B0253C31-AD4F-43F8-A7F8-3C71A5C15296.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 68B4B1A8-CAE9-4B6E-88AF-3EDAACB0A30C.jpeg
    68B4B1A8-CAE9-4B6E-88AF-3EDAACB0A30C.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 98
  • 762A31AA-6B40-48BF-B675-35E8DB509803.jpeg
    762A31AA-6B40-48BF-B675-35E8DB509803.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: chrstna4
Yes I could, but I bet not everybody would. I was hoping the answer would be that the SC has a data connection that's used for this.
Likely if the supercharger status can be beamed home to Tesla, billing info can as well. I'm curious, but I assume billing and data is handled via the supercharger data link and not the actual car. The car just shows the cost and the last location you charged at...

Now if data is down on the supercharger (it's showing as offline via Tesla) but it's actually powered, I wonder if you charge for free... I feel like yes (and this might be part of why sometimes initially people charge for free just as superchargers come online, either before commision, or before the Tesla backend is fully updated with the new location...)

Likely if the supercharger status can be beamed home to Tesla, billing info can as well. I'm curious, but I assume billing and data is handled via the supercharger data link and not the actual car. The car just shows the cost and the last location you charged at...

Now if data is down on the supercharger (it's showing as offline via Tesla) but it's actually powered, I wonder if you charge for free... I feel like yes (and this might be part of why sometimes initially people charge for free just as superchargers come online, either before commision, or before the Tesla backend is fully updated with the new location...)
I thought I read somewhere that if the Supercharger looses connectivity but the car still has one, billing data and such can be passed by the car. Not sure A)Where I read that, and B) if it's true or not...

I sure miss our roadtrips to the greater Seattle area! We usually stay in Bellevue, so this is of course great news.

I wonder what will happen first: ownership of a MY for my partner and I, or the border reopening? Probably the former, if all goes to current plan.

Quick update--this question has been answered: we picked up our MY on Saturday. Now, about that border.....???

• Funny
Reactions: Harvey Danger
I live in Redmond, WA. My home is under construction and that is where I will have a garage with a charger. If I get a Model 3 / Y before that can I charge in places surrounding Redmond for 2 to 3 months until the house is complete? I will drive for no more than 25 miles a day on average.

I live in Redmond, WA. My home is under construction and that is where I will have a garage with a charger. If I get a Model 3 / Y before that can I charge in places surrounding Redmond for 2 to 3 months until the house is complete? I will drive for no more than 25 miles a day on average.
easily doable. you could charge once every couple weeks for an hour in Issaquah/Bellevue or other and be fine.

Reactions: gowthamn
(If you're buying new, this seems a totally hypothetical consideration, since if you've not put the order in a long time ago, delivery before end-of-june seems implausible and delivery by end of September may not be a sure thing. That said, if you have a parking spot, you could charge on 120V for that usage... and yes, charging every week would be pretty easy)

(If you're buying new, this seems a totally hypothetical consideration, since if you've not put the order in a long time ago, delivery before end-of-june seems implausible and delivery by end of September may not be a sure thing. That said, if you have a parking spot, you could charge on 120V for that usage... and yes, charging every week would be pretty easy)

I am trying to choose between M3P and MYP. It says 1 month max for delivery.

I am trying to choose between M3P and MYP. It says 1 month max for delivery.
I may be bitter and projecting, but they told me "1 month" (End-of-Q4) I ordered my M3P last fall, and the service advisor assured me I'd definitely get it. And then they missed the quarter, and I didn't get it until mid Q1 this year. So I don't fully trust the web page.

There are stories/rumors about Tesla being sold out for the quarter. There have been a long line of price increases this quarter: I assume to push down demand. So ... more demand than when I put in my order, and likely less supply from chip-shortage issues. It seems less likely to me that they actually would deliver this quarter than when I placed my order 2 quarters ago.

easily doable. you could charge once every couple weeks for an hour in Issaquah/Bellevue or other and be fine.
There are several L2 charging options in the Sammamish area, see attached PlugShare screenshot. The Volta charger in the same mall is free! (Blue pins are home chargers from people who have joined PlugShare community and often let you charge for free too.)
00E0EA83-C30A-4DA1-8061-C92DD8382370.png

Reactions: gowthamn
You would probably be fine just using some onsite power. I assume there is at least a temporary meter and outlet on site for power tools?

If you only drive 20 miles a day, just use a regular 120v outlet. You'll get 3.5 or 4 miles of range added per house. Dont tell anyone but since 2012(!) I've never bothered to upgrade my power. A few times I've plugged into my drier outlet for faster power, but that about 40-50 miles of range added overnight have been enough for me. If you have a 250+ mile car and often drive 20-50 miles a day, a 120 v outlet if just fine. On that rare day you drive 200+ miles round trip and need to go out tomorrow you could search out a supercharger. Otherwise you'll be fine using your humble garage outlet.

Reactions: chrstna4
If you only drive 20 miles a day, just use a regular 120v outlet. You'll get 3.5 or 4 miles of range added per house. Dont tell anyone but since 2012(!) I've never bothered to upgrade my power. A few times I've plugged into my drier outlet for faster power, but that about 40-50 miles of range added overnight have been enough for me. If you have a 250+ mile car and often drive 20-50 miles a day, a 120 v outlet if just fine. On that rare day you drive 200+ miles round trip and need to go out tomorrow you could search out a supercharger. Otherwise you'll be fine using your humble garage outlet.
I'm often surprised how many Tesla drivers scoff at L1 home charging. It can (and does!) work for many Tesla drivers. A common response is "but it takes 3 days to charge!" as if everyone uses their full battery every day. For those with short commutes, or those who take a couple days off from driving each week, it can definitely work. I moved into a house about a year ago and haven't bothered installing an L2 charger because I'm driving so little during the pandemic (when I'm at home... road trips are a different story!).

I've noticed ICE drivers are stuck in the thought process of "filling 'er up" like they do at the gas station when they ask how long it takes to charge. I'm just surprised that even some Tesla drivers don't seem to understand that adding 30-50 miles overnight on an L1 home charger can get the job done when you drive <30 miles a day or <250mi/week. Also, there are so many more superchargers these days and many of us live just a few minutes away from a supercharger for those times when trickle charging doesn't cut it.

Not that it matters too much, but there is a bit of an efficiency loss when charging on 110v. My older S seemed to need to keep it's loudish battery temperature control mechanism running the entire time it was charging on 110V. I don't think that system required nearly as much power as the 110V input provided, but sometimes I wondered how much input power was being wasted on keeping the systems running during charge. Someone on one of these forums did a test once to find out that charging on 110V was not as efficient as on 240 or above.

Reactions: marksvend