Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bethesda, MD (Permanently Closed, Oct 2016)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My opinion - for what it's worth... Tesla should probably tackle this in force. No reason for an SC that close to DC. Plenty of destination chargers available for DC visitors. As far as traveling SC users, put one in every direction about 30 - 40 miles from DC and Baltimore, and double up the size on one on 95 between Balto and DC. Those two cities are almost one big city now.

There is no good location at the 495 and 270 intersection (no exit off those freeways anyway - only two choices going north and no choice going south). This is unique in that the actual intersection is several miles in area. 270 coming south splits into 1 to 1 1/2 mile legs to go either south or east on 495 - becoming a large triangle . So you do not have a spot that could serve all directions of that split.

I really wish they'd just put one in the Baltimore area. When traveling north, Woodbridge is too close to Glen Allen (not to mention a pain to get in and out of) and Bethesda is an okay distance, but will never stop there again after the one time I did. Baltimore would be a perfect distance from Glen Allen.

Looks like Tesla has updated the 2015 map on their website. There appears to be a marker for a supercharger in the Maryland suburbs. It seems to be slightly north and to the east of Bethesda. My best guess would be I95 near Exit 29, Powder Mill Rd in Beltsville. Only a guess, but most of the other 2015 markers have been previously discussed.

I really wish they'd just put one in the Baltimore area. When traveling north, Woodbridge is too close to Glen Allen (not to mention a pain to get in and out of) and Bethesda is an okay distance, but will never stop there again after the one time I did. Baltimore would be a perfect distance from Glen Allen.

But it wouldn't much help if trying to go up toward Hagerstown... as that is a bit too far coming in at 165 miles. Ideal is 120 miles +/- 20

Looks like Tesla has updated the 2015 map on their website. There appears to be a marker for a supercharger in the Maryland suburbs. It seems to be slightly north and to the east of Bethesda. My best guess would be I95 near Exit 29, Powder Mill Rd in Beltsville. Only a guess, but most of the other 2015 markers have been previously discussed.

Nice! I wouldn't mind a supercharger only a mile or so from my house. Then maybe I'll get one of those fabled "Don't supercharge so much" letters ;-)

I heard this morning that this "temporary" location will be closed in the 1st quarter of 2016. To many Uber drivers using on a daily basis. Tesla has tried lowering their rate of charge, but not helping. It is just causing the waiting cars to wait longer. The location will not be needed when the possible Maryland suburb location gets built.

I heard this morning that this "temporary" location will be closed in the 1st quarter of 2016. To many Uber drivers using on a daily basis. Tesla has tried lowering their rate of charge, but not helping. It is just causing the waiting cars to wait longer. The location will not be needed when the possible Maryland suburb location gets built.

Source?

huh, wonder how they know that they work for Uber. That is interesting. In fairness, if I were doing that I would totally pay Tesla if that was something they were concerned about simply because a quick charge would allow me to get back out on the road again to make money with less downtime. Because if you drive around for a number of hours and then need to recharge, you may not want to be finished for the day, but you need to "fuel up". That being said, it isn't an ideal location given the two chargers so I wouldn't have been trying to fill up there if I could help it if I were an Uber driver.

Hopefully this also means that contrary to belief they might be targeting installation and completion of the other MD location in Q1. This is helpful since we have currently been unable to locate any permitting or such for where they plan to move forward with that.

I can understand it being an issue if there are only 2 stalls. But I've seen Tesla Taxi cabs charging at Woodbridge (I forget from where, I want to say Alexandria for some reason...), but Woodbridge has 8 stalls, so it's less of a problem.

It should be easy to determine who charges at home and who abuses SCs. If they can then just throttle back the abusers so that it's not worth their time to sit and wait, this problem could be mitigated. Of course, since Bethesda only has 2 stalls, 2 abusers would create a logjam.

So, any word on where the new Bethesda SC will be?

It should be easy to determine who charges at home and who abuses SCs.

It's actually a lot harder than you think. There were tens of pages of discussion about how to properly do it to account for all situations, and you either miss a lot of people who abuse the system or you nail a lot of people who are legitimately using the SpC as designed.

I was at the Bethesda SC yesterday and had a good experience. My peak charging rate was 288mph 372v 247A (occurred about 50 miles into the charge). I was able to add 200 RM in just over an hour. It was a slow ramp up, but overall very good from what I have heard about this location. I was the only charger until near the very end. I guess I must be on the "Good" list with Tesla.