Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I'm a bit obsessive: Every time I'm in my car (which is every day), I quickly query the Supercharger utilization in the area. I can honestly say that the last 20 or so queries (about 10 days of checking), I think some pressure has FINALLY been relieved from Qualcomm. Every time I check, there are 2-3 stalls available. I almost couldn't believe it. When I check Carlsbad, it runs at about 8-12 bays utilized on average. Downtown continues to run 3-5 chargers utilized at the most. There's no doubt this new Carlsbad Supercharger has been shouldering the brunt of where these folks would have otherwise gone to continue the Qualcomm punishment. At the moment, I think this Supercharger has cracked the Qualcomm curse - for now.

I also think that the amenities are lovely in the general vicinity. Crossing the street at La Costa Ave. (with your 64 year old father in tow), can feel like real-life game of Frogger. . . But once you're in the Gelson's Market mall, there are several terrific lunch options while taking on a 30-minute charge.

Rudy's Taco is terrific, Breugger's Bagels is a sure thing, and Thai Pasta has fantastic curry.

I couldn't be happier with what I'm seeing for the Tesla community in San Diego County as a result of this Supercharger so far. The add-on 6 bays will be needed sooner than later. But for the moment, travelers through our town actually have options.

Correlation != causality so I wouldn't read too much into QC...currently at least one stall is down, and as of 10:30am this morning there was a queue 8 deep with 2 stalls out.

Last edited:
Correlation != causality so I wouldn't read too much into QC...currently at least one stall is down, and as of 10:30am this morning there was a queue 8 deep with 2 stalls out.
Seconded. Same experience for me recently. Got excited that there were 3 open stalls at 8pm, only to show up and find one was down and 4 cars were waiting, quickly to 6 cars before I simply moved on.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
Stopped here on the way back from OC. Holy cow 19 of the 20 spots were occupied about 4:30 on Saturday 11-20-2018. Was not expecting that many spots to be occupied. I'm guessing electric cars are here to stay ;)
Glad you were able to get a spot - I'm not surprised it was busy considering the other Superchargers in San Diego either have a line (Qualcomm) or are difficult to access (downtown parking structure).

Moderator note: as this post is not about this Supercharger but is about a business adjacent to it, please respond to @gapreach using the Conversation (PM) function. Please do not post your response in this thread or it will be removed. Thank you
===========================================================

Favor to Ask for Anyone Charging at 7710 site:

If you have time to burn for a few minutes while waiting for charge, could you check on this business to verify location:

Amarige Art Gallery
7710 El Camino Real Suite #425, Carlsbad CA

I couldn't figure out whether this is attached to the Equinox Bldg or is just an old address associated with the complex before it was being developed. Any help and information would be appreciated. BTW love the site development at this location. Great spot!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were thinking of getting a quick workout at the nearby Equinox while charging at La Costa, forghedaboudit !!
It costs $179 per month to join - yikes.
[off-topic on] For not too much more, I have a trainer that comes to my house a couple times a week and keeps me in excellent shape. $179 just for access to a gym that I would never use is not worth it. I have actually joined more gyms that I have gone to. :oops: [off-topic off]

We stopped at this charger on a nice trip from the SF Bay Area, down through Santa Clarita, on to San Diego, then back up to Santa Barbara and on home. We hit Carlsbad twice; once on the way down to San Diego (since I have read the horror stories of limited charging and dinged cars at the SD chargers) and once on the way back up. The first time was fine - several spots available. On the trip back up though it was completely filled. We watched, and indeed the folks were coming from that gym nearby. It looked like they all took a class or something that ended at 9:00 AM because right after that people with towels and water bottles came walking up and driving away and soon there were 6 open spots. So timing at this charger is important. At the wrong time of the morning on a weekday (we hit it on Thursday morning at 8:45 AM) it is full.

On the trip back up though it was completely filled. We watched, and indeed the folks were coming from that gym nearby. It looked like they all took a class or something that ended at 9:00 AM because right after that people with towels and water bottles came walking up and driving away and soon there were 6 open spots.
If someone plugged in to charge at this location and then went to a one hour gym class nearby, their car would be finished charging long before they returned (even if it was set to charge to 100%) and they would have to pay idle fees. That will get expensive very quickly, and they are unlikely to do it again. Which is the purpose of the idle fee.

If someone plugged in to charge at this location and then went to a one hour gym class nearby, their car would be finished charging long before they returned (even if it was set to charge to 100%) and they would have to pay idle fees. That will get expensive very quickly, and they are unlikely to do it again. Which is the purpose of the idle fee.

That gym is a minimum $179/mo. Some of these people won't blink at those fees (and some will).

Reactions: jowaldo
Maybe it was a 30 minute class? They definitely came from there though. Also, the charge rate was extremely low - I don't know why actually. These are the urban chargers so in theory every stall can get up to 72 kW with a warm battery and a low SoC. I've gotten te full 72 kW at the new Livermore, CA urban chargers. As I said we stopped at this one on the way down to San Diego and on the way back up. On the way down we got 41 kW max (but we were high on SoC - at 76% so didn't expect more). On the way back through - when it was full as described - we were at 31 kW max on a battery warmed by a nice long drive and were only at 50% SoC. Not sure if this one doesn't actually have enough power from the utility to drive all of the stalls simultaneously at up to 72 kW or not, but with charging that slow perhaps they could be there for an hour. That 31 kW was the lowest we got on our entire trip (the highest being 118 at both Kettleman City and Gilroy).

Maybe it was a 30 minute class? They definitely came from there though. Also, the charge rate was extremely low - I don't know why actually. These are the urban chargers so in theory every stall can get up to 72 kW with a warm battery and a low SoC. I've gotten te full 72 kW at the new Livermore, CA urban chargers. As I said we stopped at this one on the way down to San Diego and on the way back up. On the way down we got 41 kW max (but we were high on SoC - at 76% so didn't expect more). On the way back through - when it was full as described - we were at 31 kW max on a battery warmed by a nice long drive and were only at 50% SoC. Not sure if this one doesn't actually have enough power from the utility to drive all of the stalls simultaneously at up to 72 kW or not, but with charging that slow perhaps they could be there for an hour. That 31 kW was the lowest we got on our entire trip (the highest being 118 at both Kettleman City and Gilroy).

The transformer for this site is 1,500 KVA. Now 72 kW x 20 stalls = 1,440 kW, but that's DC power after having some losses converting from AC to DC. And I have no clue how 1,500 KVA relates to how many actual kW you can pull through it. When people start talking KVA to kW, they start talking about power factors and my eyes glaze over.

But electricity is just weird anyways.

• Funny
Reactions: ggr
As this Supercharger fills up at all daylight hours (today was no exception), I was by this morning and saw a new low of rudeness from one our fellow Tesla owners. After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I snapped this shot.

Really?

IMG_0090.jpg

• Informative
As this Supercharger fills up at all daylight hours (today was no exception), I was by this morning and saw a new low of rudeness from one our fellow Tesla owners. After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I snapped this shot.

Really?

View attachment 367347

I used this text years ago to print out and place when ICEd.
Maybe it needs to be amended for EV owners and the current law:

EV Parking Only

Courtesy notice –

Parking violation under California Vehicle Code section 22511

This vehicle is parked blocking an Electric Vehicle Recharging Station.

This parking space is designated for Electric Vehicles Only.

This is not a regular parking space for the convenience of all vehicle drivers -- it is an Electric Vehicle Recharging Station. Parking in a way that prevents use of the Recharging Station is not only illegal; it can leave an Electric Vehicle driver stranded.

Under California Vehicle Code section 22511, non-electric vehicles parked in spaces reserved for electric vehicles are subject to fines up to $100 and may be towed away at the owner's expense. We prefer to avoid taking such action unless absolutely necessary.

Thank you for your cooperation.

You should remove any mention of "Parking" being allowed there at all. It ISN'T a parking space, ever. It's strictly a charging space. I would rework the notice as follows:

"EV CHARGING Only

Courtesy notice –

Parking violation under California Vehicle Code section 22511

This vehicle is parked blocking an Electric Vehicle Charging Station.

As shown by the sign at the front of the stall, this space is designated for use ONLY by Electric Vehicles while charging.

This is not a regular parking space for the convenience of all vehicle drivers -- it is an Electric Vehicle Charging Station. Parking in a way that prevents use of the Charging Station is not only a violation under the CA Vehicle Code; it can leave an Electric Vehicle driver stranded.

Under California Vehicle Code section 22511, vehicles occupying these spaces but not charging are subject to fines up to $100 and may be towed away at the owner's expense. We prefer to avoid taking such action unless absolutely necessary.

Thank you for your future cooperation."

Writing it like that will eliminate any potential ambiguity over whether someone in an EV or PHEV is allowed to park in an EVCS stall without charging (like the case in JohnnyLounge21's post above yours which started this sub-topic).

Also, people who are going to use such notices need to be careful to only leave them when the stall is actually limited to charging only and not just for every car that is parked--but not connected/charging--in a stall that also has a charger. At almost every supercharger location, some portion of the stalls with chargers will be signed to also enable their use as general parking spaces for a limited time. Someone parking in one of those stalls may be an inconsiderate person but they aren't committing an infraction and aren't liable to be cited/towed/fined so long as they abide by the posted time limit.