Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (2525 El Camino Real, permit expired)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All I could see was electrical boxes and assumed they were to serve the charging station. I heard from a friend at the city they were talking about installing at this end of the mall parking lot. The actual Superchargers may not be there yet. I have no idea.

anyone have a update on this charger coming on line ?

Unlikely by end of 2017. I was out there this week, zero signs of equipment being delivered or even markings on the ground. The container that was on-site and previously mentioned was open and I looked around inside. No Tesla gear, just generic masonry stuff for work inside the mall itself.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Yes, agree it’s unlikely for end of 2017. That’s too bad as San Diego county’s really needs another SC. The SC at Qualcomm is always busy, especially for people with no access to charge locally like visitors or apartment residences.
Yes, agree it’s unlikely for end of 2017. That’s too bad as San Diego county’s really needs another SC. The SC at Qualcomm is always busy, especially for people with no access to charge locally like visitors or apartment residences.
When I bought my X in June (2017) I was assured there would be 4 new SC in San Diego area by end of year or at least on their way. Carlsbad only one with permit and I guess as of now zero construction. Big disappointment.

Yeah i avoid it like the plague.

The local use thing bugs me a bit. I don't have home charging either and it's not that hard.
Also in California you have the right to demand a plug be installed in your spot. Maybe you don't want to pay for a charger, but seriously, that's a rounding error on buying one of these cars. Or just get a Chademo adapter. They're in better locations anyway.
Bill Text - AB-2565 Rental property: electric vehicle charging stations.

Last edited:
When I bought my X in June (2017) I was assured there would be 4 new SC in San Diego area by end of year or at least on their way. Carlsbad only one with permit and I guess as of now zero construction. Big disappointment.

I feels yer pain. They told me in late 2014 that the I-10 corridor starting with Tucson would be done, um, soon. 3 years later, it still ain't the case but now being just 1 SC away (Fort Stockton), the pain is, um, dulled.

The way the Southwest Region has been handled, including SoCal starting from the OC down to SD proper, has been nothing short of abysmal. Juxtapose this against LA County, which has made steady and sensible progress starting in late 2014. Quite *bizarre* and that's because ****ed up would just get censored.

Happily, the SC teams are responsive to emails and hopefully every traveling owner whether in SD or with business in SD emails frequently and often. Ideally with vetted suggestions for locations but at least with status requests.

Just as happily, Clemente and Carlsbad will finally take some pressure off SJC, but as noted above, unless and until SD (city) gets some resolution, the problem ain't going away anytime soon.

For bonus points, imagine a day when we can drive our chariots into Mexico without voiding our warranties and risking financial impact due to anemic shop rate coverage from most driving-in-Mexico insurance policies. Have a look at supercharge.info to see the significant progress from Mexico City north toward Texas - clearly there are Teslas *in* Mexico, and we know they were made in the US so they are fully compliant safety-wise (shatter-resistant glass, et cetera)... Gah!

Anyway the point of that last part is that having SCs at entry points from just south of San Diego (San Ysidro) eastward opens up juicy tourism destinations/opportunities in Baja del Norte (Rosarito, La Fonda, Ensenada - maybe even San Quintin but that's quite probably pushing it), Sonora (Puerto Peñasco, anyone?) and points east. Maybe we get restricted to only 100 miles in-country but it would be a start.

To that end, putting an SC in/adjacent downtown SD would be mahvelous. Or even at the airport to reduce impact from livery - rinse and repeat for LAX and John Wayne...

Yeah i avoid it like the plague.

The local use thing bugs me a bit. I don't have home charging either and it's not that hard.
Also in California you have the right to demand a plug be installed in your spot. Maybe you don't want to pay for a charger, but seriously, that's a rounding error on buying one of these cars. Or just get a Chademo adapter. They're in better locations anyway.
Bill Text - AB-2565 Rental property: electric vehicle charging stations.

You can demand, but you'll also pay for the work, right? (unless there's some kind of offset in the bill text above that I can't seem to load at the moment). This can cost $x000s, which while justifiable for, say, condo and townhome owners, may not make sense for renters. The influx of the 12,500 L2 & L3 chargers from CA Utilities and the potentially tens of thousands of CA chargers & maintenance from the VW dieselgate money will create some much-needed momentum to retrofit or otherwise serve all kinds of MDUs (or at least common areas) statewide.

As one of the unwashed masses (non-garaged owner for the past 3 years), I concur that it's not that hard. Although harbors and port districts are Very Different Animals when it comes to adding any kind of infrastructure. That said, when in town, instead of filling up at the Costco once a week, I charge once a week at any number of off-peak times at any one of 5 SCs.

Hardly an impact *and* we are in zero danger of getting overrun with Model 3s anytime soon even at higher production rates by the end of 2018. (at most, only 20% of production is for the entire State of CA. That's an estimated 40% of domestic units, which are at most 50% of expected total units). As noted elsewhere, solving CA solves the continent.

All will be well.

Last edited:
Wife went by yesterday while she was at the mall. No signs of construction at this time.

I drove by yesterday evening, not specifically to look around but because I got detoured by the navigation around some crashes on the 5 North. That last half-mile begore taking the left turning on ramp to 78 West was brutal. Took about ten minutes to go from just before the movie theatres to the freeway on ramp.

That Carlsbad SC is going to be a busy location, and I don’t mean the Superchargers alone.

I feels yer pain. They told me in late 2014 that the I-10 corridor starting with Tucson would be done, um, soon. 3 years later, it still ain't the case but now being just 1 SC away (Fort Stockton), the pain is, um, dulled.

The way the Southwest Region has been handled, including SoCal starting from the OC down to SD proper, has been nothing short of abysmal. Juxtapose this against LA County, which has made steady and sensible progress starting in late 2014. Quite *bizarre* and that's because ****ed up would just get censored.

Happily, the SC teams are responsive to emails and hopefully every traveling owner whether in SD or with business in SD emails frequently and often. Ideally with vetted suggestions for locations but at least with status requests.

Just as happily, Clemente and Carlsbad will finally take some pressure off SJC, but as noted above, unless and until SD (city) gets some resolution, the problem ain't going away anytime soon.

For bonus points, imagine a day when we can drive our chariots into Mexico without voiding our warranties and risking financial impact due to anemic shop rate coverage from most driving-in-Mexico insurance policies. Have a look at supercharge.info to see the significant progress from Mexico City north toward Texas - clearly there are Teslas *in* Mexico, and we know they were made in the US so they are fully compliant safety-wise (shatter-resistant glass, et cetera)... Gah!

Anyway the point of that last part is that having SCs at entry points from just south of San Diego (San Ysidro) eastward opens up juicy tourism destinations/opportunities in Baja del Norte (Rosarito, La Fonda, Ensenada - maybe even San Quintin but that's quite probably pushing it), Sonora (Puerto Peñasco, anyone?) and points east. Maybe we get restricted to only 100 miles in-country but it would be a start.

To that end, putting an SC in/adjacent downtown SD would be mahvelous. Or even at the airport to reduce impact from livery - rinse and repeat for LAX and John Wayne...

You can demand, but you'll also pay for the work, right? (unless there's some kind of offset in the bill text above that I can't seem to load at the moment). This can cost $x000s, which while justifiable for, say, condo and townhome owners, may not make sense for renters. The influx of the 12,500 L2 & L3 chargers from CA Utilities and the potentially tens of thousands of CA chargers & maintenance from the VW dieselgate money will create some much-needed momentum to retrofit or otherwise serve all kinds of MDUs (or at least common areas) statewide.

As one of the unwashed masses (non-garaged owner for the past 3 years), I concur that it's not that hard. Although harbors and port districts are Very Different Animals when it comes to adding any kind of infrastructure. That said, when in town, instead of filling up at the Costco once a week, I charge once a week at any number of off-peak times at any one of 5 SCs.

Hardly an impact *and* we are in zero danger of getting overrun with Model 3s anytime soon even at higher production rates by the end of 2018. (at most, only 20% of production is for the entire State of CA. That's an estimated 40% of domestic units, which are at most 50% of expected total units). As noted elsewhere, solving CA solves the continent.

All will be well.

Yeah we're getting off topic here but really unless you have a very long commute a L2 is overkill for home charging. Just a 110 or 220V wall box would be more than plenty to use with a mobile charger for daily overnight. This shouldn't cost more than a few hundred to install unless your HOA gives you the "go away" price.

Reactions: avesraggiana