Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it is indeed government regulation, or rather dictat. Neither Tesla nor the mall owner would have put them in. As to why, well the pedestrian access from the top parking lot is stairs, and the probable thinking is that you don’t only want to park and charge, but you also want to access the stores in the mall, hence the need for handicap accessible pedestrian access to some of the charging spots. They probably could have satisfied the requirement by having a ramp that zig zagged down the hill, but opted for the stalls on the lower level.
That makes sense. Not knowing the exact layout in relation to the mall makes it seem silly to have spaces that provide no benefit with that designation but from what your saying, I can see the potential benefit so it is a good thing. Most pictures don't really make it clear about the relationship to the surrounding property. Thanks for responding.

C1573D79-3C10-4816-BA69-2B0BEE69AD4E.jpeg
0424AB95-5A22-4E95-BF3B-66AFB201B65D.jpeg
First image: Handicapped stations at lower level are in and striped; no signs yet to identify as handicapped, though. Second image: Upper level fencing is down. They wouldn’t let me up to take pictures—probably because I politely asked, lol. Shoulda just done it. ☺️

Was told it was still gonna be a while ‘til it goes live, but the guy who told me this seems to be involved in the landscaping and not the construction part if it.

Under the Tesla logo it states 30 minute general parking.

Do all the spaces say that, or just some? It's common to have a portion of the stalls signed for general parking, while the rest are exclusively for charging. I imagine it's either something the landlord wanted or needed to satisfy parking code. (Businesses are usually required to have a certain number of parking spaces, and maybe charging-exclusive spaces don't count.)

Under the Tesla logo it states 30 minute general parking. Not exactly sure what that means.
I have seen that sign text at other Superchargers. It typically means that any car can park in that stall for up to 30 minutes before they have to move.

It’s not Tesla that is specifying that sign text, it’s the owner of the parking lot. Tesla doesn’t own the Supercharger stall spaces.

Reactions: JeffnReno
Do all the spaces say that, or just some? It's common to have a portion of the stalls signed for general parking, while the rest are exclusively for charging. I imagine it's either something the landlord wanted or needed to satisfy parking code. (Businesses are usually required to have a certain number of parking spaces, and maybe charging-exclusive spaces don't count.)

The 30-minute sign is only on the spaces on that side of the lot. I took the picture below back on 8/21. The other side is designed for the cars to pull in forward and has the standard Tesla "vehicle charging only" signage. It's a little scary looking, the chargers look vulnerable.

This lot is pretty inconvenient for people patronizing the gym or whatever future businesses move in. With the additional time limit on top, they've made every effort to discourage general parking. Plus there were over 50 spaces in the lot before the construction. Has anyone noticed if they resurfaced the back part of the lot beyond the chargers?

20180821_145014.jpg

Reactions: KJD
I have seen that sign text at other Superchargers. It typically means that any car can park in that stall for up to 30 minutes before they have to move.

It’s not Tesla that is specifying that sign text, it’s the owner of the parking lot. Tesla doesn’t own the Supercharger stall spaces.
I would be surprised if any ICE cars or for that matter even non-charging EVs were ever towed or ticketed for exceeding the 30 minutes without charging. Seems most businesses don't want to have any problems with a customer whether or not they are inconveniencing other customers or not. Has anyone here ever heard of that 30 minute rule being enforced?

This supercharger is going to be absolutely obliterated by locals when it opens and will only get worse in the years ahead. As much as Qualcomm takes a beating, this one will probably out-draw it within a very short period. It's not lost on me that bellyaching at a 20-bay supercharger coming online can be construed as entitled/spoiled. But so much more is needed in this region (hopefully those 6 extra bays get tacked on quickly, but I'm certainly not holding my breath). The resources were certainly there (the extremely lightly-used 40-bay Baker location) and they were not applied to where they were needed the most (San Diego County).

For me personally, it's a non-issue. But it makes me sad for the road trippers through my town. You simply can't plan a somewhat convenient road trip and have a low SOC through North County San Diego. At least there's Downtown/A-St., I guess.

Whine! Whine! Whine!

Reactions: bkp_duke and KJD
I would be surprised if any ICE cars or for that matter even non-charging EVs were ever towed or ticketed for exceeding the 30 minutes without charging. Seems most businesses don't want to have any problems with a customer whether or not they are inconveniencing other customers or not. Has anyone here ever heard of that 30 minute rule being enforced?
First, it is not legal in California to tow a vehicle, unless there is very specific, and regulated, signage in place (minimal font size, citing actual municipal code, location of towing company, etc.).

Second, there will not be any ICEing concerns here. This location will be so crowded with Teslas, that there will be a line to get a stall. How would an ICE get in unless they 1) got there before the crowds formed (in which case, they should leave in 30 minutes anyway, so this point is moot, or 2) they wait in line for a spot to open. That is just silly.

This supercharger is going to be absolutely obliterated by locals when it opens
Yes. Both by locals and travelers. This site is years overdue. The busiest travel corridor in the country, and the most Teslas, yet massively under served. Two additional 20 stall sites might help, but I fear even that will not cut it.

• Funny
Reactions: JeffnReno