Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least it's now open but disappointing. 72kW max means longer charging times and longer waiting lines.
Maybe they'll upgrade at a later date.

It's not paired, though. If you go to a 120 kW supercharger and grab the last space, you'll get whatever is left over from the paired space. So in some cases, an urban supercharger can be faster.

At least it's now open but disappointing. 72kW max means longer charging times and longer waiting lines.
Maybe they'll upgrade at a later date.
This has been discussed upthread. Since this is likely to be an extremely busy site, Urban style superchargers will guarantee you a max charge rate ot 72kW, even if you are paired with someone. The classic one will throttle you down until the paired stall slows down their charge rate. The chances of arriving here and getting an unpaired stall will be close to nil. Better to get 72 than 30!

Or, maybe Tesla starts out new Superchargers at 72 kW to test the system before moving up to 120 kW later on.
Does anyone remember if San Clemente or Temecula started out at 72 kW ?
They are currently both 120 kW.
No. This is an "Urban" charger. it will be 72kW max as are all the others like it. Only the classics get 120. I wish we had 120 with those when paired, but that has not happened yet at any other supercharger

Or, maybe Tesla starts out new Superchargers at 72 kW to test the system before moving up to 120 kW later on.
Does anyone remember if San Clemente or Temecula started out at 72 kW ?
They are currently both 120 kW.

I think part of the reason for the Urban Superchargers is that they can be cheaper because they can use smaller, less expensive, wire to hookup the stalls. So you probably can't just turn up the power level.

I have a Model S 100D.
At 116kW my car charges at 25 miles every 4 minutes. (after 60% charge rate tapers down from 116kW to about 70kW at 80%)
At about 70kW it charges at 16 miles every 4 minutes....should stay at 70kW up to 80%

On 120kW charger charging a 100D from 50% to 80% takes about 20 minutes.
On a 72kW charger charging a 100D from 50% to 80% should take about 25 minutes.
Just 5 minutes more.
Would be great if someone could confirm.

• Informative
Reactions: TMC Bubba
5665C910-C803-444E-9AD0-7FA398A7147C.jpeg

Just charged! Was just my M3 and another, so I can confirm that the place is getting completely taken over by 3’s. ;-)

Picked up about 100 miles of range in 22 minutes (started 35% SOC) so I’m happy enough.

Wasn’t on my map when I got there but showed up and turned red after I finished (probably coincidence and not because I charged there).

May come back with beer to thank the folks that have been taking all the progress pics so I didn’t have to.

I have a Model S 100D.
At 116kW my car charges at 25 miles every 4 minutes. (after 60% charge rate tapers down from 116kW to about 70kW at 80%)
At about 70kW it charges at 16 miles every 4 minutes....should stay at 70kW up to 80%

On 120kW charger charging a 100D from 50% to 80% takes about 20 minutes.
On a 72kW charger charging a 100D from 50% to 80% should take about 25 minutes.
Just 5 minutes more.
Would be great if someone could confirm.

Interesting data. In theory, in a 100D, you should charger faster than any other model (pack size that is) and taper off later.

I suspect you would see a more drastic difference from 5% to 50%, than above 50%.

Time to update the title of this thread from construction to LIVE?

I won’t ever be charging here as I live down the street but it has been exciting to watch the progress over the last couple months. Thanks to all who posted pictures and updates. I’m happy to welcome this new supercharger to the neighborhood!