Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Champaign, IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any updated news out there? Just drove back through Champaign in the minivan because we couldn't make an hour stop in Champaign to charge for the holidays with the 3 kiddos. Would love to make a 10-15 minute stop in the Tesla and continue on!

Any updated news out there? Just drove back through Champaign in the minivan because we couldn't make an hour stop in Champaign to charge for the holidays with the 3 kiddos. Would love to make a 10-15 minute stop in the Tesla and continue on!

Nothing new yet. I have a friend on the city council and have that person checking for me. One is able to lookup building permits online on the Champaign site, but nothing appears. If I hear something, I will post it. I'm just as anxious as anyone else.

I drove around a few spots that I thought might be likely candidates (see map below), but didn't spot any construction that looked remotely like a Supercharger. Sounds like Steve's connection might be our best bet for an early notification.

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 1.58.56 PM.png

I specifically checked out the Drury Inn at I-72 and Prospect, plus a few restaurants along Prospect, then the mall on Neil, and finally the old mall where I-57 dumps out onto University/Church near Mattis. I might've checked out a couple more spots, but I had to conserve range to get to Effingham. If anybody has any other ideas, I'm happy to check them out next time I'm in town, though I can't say for sure when that'll be.

Hi John (and everyone), I just heard back from my friend who spoke with the City's Planning & Development department. They looked into it and only found requests to put in "charging stations" at the Meijers in Champaign. Most are probably from me! On another note, my father lives in Grand Rapids MI and is friends with Doug Meijer. I am going to see if he can find out anything using that angle.

Meijer is already a major partner with Supercharger locations in Michigan and Ohio. It would be a promising lead if they have an application for charging stations, as they don't have much of a track record with any other kind of charging station besides Superchargers.

Meijer is already a major partner with Supercharger locations in Michigan and Ohio. It would be a promising lead if they have an application for charging stations, as they don't have much of a track record with any other kind of charging station besides Superchargers.

I noticed that as well from researching, and that's why I assumed it would be Meijer. I sent in a request to them a while ago and I'm guessing that is from me. I sent an email to the local Meijer GM as well asking if they had anything planned earlier today. We will see.

Received a response from Meijer this morning stating that there are no plans currently for the addition of a Supercharger at the Champaign location, however; they will forward the idea to corporate for future considerations and renovations etc.

I really could use the Champaign supercharger! I can't drive I-74 without it to Indy. I have to go around I-80 (where I live) to I-65 to Indy. Way out of the way.

Champaign would certainly make your drive easier, but I would think under the right conditions, one could already make it all the way from Normal to Indy on I-74, especially in an 85D (which your signature says you have). At 20 degrees (F), evtripplanner estimates 240mi of rated range consumed. My 3yr old S85 could make that (though I'd probably draft some semis just to be safe).

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the Champaign charger, and the more there are, the easier every route gets. I just don't think it's fair to say you "can't" drive to Indy without it. I understand if you don't want to give away your exact location, but I'm having a hard time seeing a spot along I-80 that would benefit substantially from the Champaign location.

I just don't think it's fair to say you "can't" drive to Indy without it. I understand if you don't want to give away your exact location, but I'm having a hard time seeing a spot along I-80 that would benefit substantially from the Champaign location.

I live near the to be built Peru supercharger. Even if I stop in Normal I am really NOT comfortable going to the Indy supercharger from there. So I don't! I drive my ICE vehicle instead. I have had the Tesla D about a year now and don't run the battery down anywhere close to empty. 200 miles is about the max I am willing to do without finding some place to charge. Maybe I have severe range anxiety!:redface:

We only do what we are comfortable with... So in my case, yes I would really like to see the Champaign supercharger!

Not that I know anything, but this would be an excellent place:
Meijer, 2401 N Prospect Ave, Champaign, IL 61822
Nearby: Starbucks, Outback, Ruby Tuesday, Applebee's, Chilis, plus several others

So excited to see this! Although I live in VA now, I'm a 2002 UofI grad. I haven't done a cross-country trip in my S yet (too busy!) but I'd like to drive home to visit my parents north of Chicago, stopping by campus on the way. This would be perfect for that trip.

Not that I know anything, but this would be an excellent place:
Meijer, 2401 N Prospect Ave, Champaign, IL 61822
Nearby: Starbucks, Outback, Ruby Tuesday, Applebee's, Chilis, plus several others

I commented on this and Meijer doesn't know anything about a Tesla Supercharger for the Champaign location. I agree though, it's a good location with easy access from I57 & I74. I have a few Champaign Council Member friends, and one checked for me and said that they didn't have any word yet.

Confirmed -- supercharger in Meover lot

I commented on this and Meijer doesn't know anything about a Tesla Supercharger for the Champaign location. I agree though, it's a good location with easy access from I57 & I74. I have a few Champaign Council Member friends, and one checked for me and said that they didn't have any word yet.

I see that the supercharger is almost ready. North side of lot, by the movie theater. About 8 or so chargers.