Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Champaign, IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it appears that Ameren was running the electrical to the intersection, and possibly north down Prospect Ave towards Interstate Dr. There were Ameren trucks at Interstate Dr and at the Meijers intersection.

- - - Updated - - -

I will check periodically on the progress as well. It would be nice to learn an opening date so we can arrange a get together.

And the Teslarati folks have now updated their map to show it in construction: http://www.teslarati.com/interactive-tesla-supercharger-map/

Had a few minutes so I took a trip to Meijer to see the Superchargers. 8 stalls in all, and it looks like the only thing left is to run the giant power cables (see pics) and an inspection. Ameren Power was actually at the intersection working on power lines so I imagine it won't be much longer at all.

While le taking pics, an older gentleman in a Ford pickup with a John Deere hat, looked like a farmer, asks me, "what the he_l are those!?!?" I laughed a bit and we talked for a few minutes while I explained the system out to him. Real nice guy, but that initial sentence still has me laughing.

View attachment 113211

Thanks for the pictures.

In the picture that I quoted above, it looks like the transformer and transformer pad will go over the hole in the foreground and to the right of the picture with the conduit near it. It's a short run for the 480V connections from there to the grey distribution center behind the Supercharger Cabinets to the left, and the trench going away behind the trees will be the high Voltage input feed to the transformer.

Thanks for the pictures.

In the picture that I quoted above, it looks like the transformer and transformer pad will go over the hole in the foreground and to the right of the picture with the conduit near it. It's a short run for the 480V connections from there to the grey distribution center behind the Supercharger Cabinets to the left, and the trench going away behind the trees will be the high Voltage input feed to the transformer.

No problem. I will get some more pics of the electrical construction when I check next time.

Thanks for the map update SMS16.

I will check periodically on the progress as well. It would be nice to learn an opening date so we can arrange a get together.

Hear hear! Not sure how many of the St Louis folks would be interested in that drive, but we've done meetups at Normal, Springfield, Effingham, and Columbia and had good turnouts at each. As long as we plan it for a weekend, I'm in for sure.

Hear hear! Not sure how many of the St Louis folks would be interested in that drive, but we've done meetups at Normal, Springfield, Effingham, and Columbia and had good turnouts at each. As long as we plan it for a weekend, I'm in for sure.

There are 4 or 5 other MS owners in my hood, but I don't know a single one of them. I know pretty much everyone else in the hood though. Go figure!

We'll arrange for the Chicago group to come down as well and have a party
icon7.gif

I stopped by the Champaign Supercharger a few ago to see progress. Today there was an independent electrical company wiring to where the transformer will be. It appears everything at the intersection was finished by Ameren, but there is what looks like a smaller transformer that runs along the road, that needs to be wired to as well. The grey conduit was lined across the top of the grass and ready to be dug. It also looked like they were backfilling the area where the transformer will sit on top of. We have a winter storm coming tonight through Friday morning so I imagine it will hinder the progress.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 161
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Nasty rain this morning, possibly snow coming shortly, but made a stop by the Champaign Supercharger for more progress pics. The pad for the transformer has been poured. Looks like more conduit to bury that wasn't here the other day, but the conduit that was present has been buried.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reactions: jvonbokel
Nasty rain this morning, possibly snow coming shortly, but made a stop by the Champaign Supercharger for more progress pics. The pad for the transformer has been poured. Looks like more conduit to bury that wasn't here the other day, but the conduit that was present has been buried.
View attachment 113573

Thanks for the pictures.

That small green box is a typical, HV, utility, interconnect box. That is probably where the HV connection to the existing grid is made, and the HV cables go from there to the new transformer.

• Helpful
Reactions: jvonbokel
Thanks for the pictures.

That small green box is a typical, HV, utility, interconnect box. That is probably where the HV connection to the existing grid is made, and the HV cables go from there to the new transformer.

No problem. It looks like they are making good progress. It just started snowing, but it looks like the weather is warming up Friday again and it should be smooth sailing (knock on wood).

I have to spread some reputation around before I can give it to Steve S and Cottonwood again, but I want to say thanks for all these great updates and explanations guys! Looks like things are moving along quickly!

I was excited to see an electric car charging station in Champaign, but I'm curious if anyone knows if this technology is only for use with Tesla vehicles? I had read previously that Tesla was talking about opening up the use of their Supercharger network to others like the Volt and Leaf.

I mean, Tesla is paying for the charging station, so it makes sense if it's only for their brand vehicles.. I'm just curious. Either way, at least the practicality of electric car use is getting better and better in more areas.

I saw this thread a couple weeks ago when I was researching whether or not to buy a Volt and wondering if this town had any public charging options. I came back to post pictures of the construction when I saw it was underway.. but it looks like I'm too slow and several others beat me to it. :)

I was excited to see an electric car charging station in Champaign, but I'm curious if anyone knows if this technology is only for use with Tesla vehicles? I had read previously that Tesla was talking about opening up the use of their Supercharger network to others like the Volt and Leaf.

I mean, Tesla is paying for the charging station, so it makes sense if it's only for their brand vehicles.. I'm just curious. Either way, at least the practicality of electric car use is getting better and better in more areas.

I saw this thread a couple weeks ago when I was researching whether or not to buy a Volt and wondering if this town had any public charging options. I came back to post pictures of the construction when I saw it was underway.. but it looks like I'm too slow and several others beat me to it. :)

Tesla is open to other car manufacturers paying to join the network but none have. As of now the supercharger stations only allow Model S and Model X to charge.

I keep hoping someday Nissan, Ford, Chevy, or Toyota will jump in and announce a deal to access the US supercharger network but it doesn't look to happen any time soon.

Until then you need to check plugshare.com and you can find J1772, Chademo, and other plug types that might apply in your area.

Watch for the Tesla Model 3 announcement at the end of this month and compare vs the Chevy Bolt (not the Volt) as those are going to be the cars to beat.

Progress report.

Went back lack today and snapped a few pics. Doesn't look like much else has been going on at the site, but the dirt behind the transformer pad has been dug back up. There are Ameren crews working along Prospect Ave, north of the Superchargers, but looks like they may be replacing older poles.

We have 7 days of rain in the forecast, so I imagine this has a bit to do with the progress.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Doesn't look like much else has been going on at the site, but the dirt behind the transformer pad has been dug back up.

We have 7 days of rain in the forecast, so I imagine this has a bit to do with the progress.

As an eternal optimist, I would like to think that they wouldn't be digging holes right before rain storm unless they planned to close them back up quickly. *fingers crossed*

As an eternal optimist, I would like to think that they wouldn't be digging holes right before rain storm unless they planned to close them back up quickly. *fingers crossed*

I was slated to have a bunch of landscaping done around the back yard and poll we had installed last fall, but they cancelled due to all of the incoming rain we are slated to get. Rain is suppose to be heavy with flood warnings starting tomorrow night I believe. Lots of Ameren crews working the area, so I hope they take care of that before the rain starts back up (tonight I believe).