Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charleston, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the electrical specification plates on the chargers indicate max of 500v and 350amps... these are 150kw... but photos I've seen seem to show smaller diameter cables meaning V3. Very confusing right now.
It's definitely V3 (250kW), you can see the V3 supercharger cabinets in the pictures attached to the post you quoted by Marco. They are the ones with the mesh grating at the top.

As for your confusion about the nameplate rating figures, that's the maximum rating for continuous output of the charge posts. But It's never going to run above that level for 3 straight hours (the definition for continuous loads), so it's not an issue. The most you'd expect it to be over the continuous power rating is for 5-10 minutes at a stretch.

It's definitely V3 (250kW), you can see the V3 supercharger cabinets in the pictures attached to the post you quoted by Marco. They are the ones with the mesh grating at the top.

As for your confusion about the nameplate rating figures, that's the maximum rating for continuous output of the charge posts. But It's never going to run above that level for 3 straight hours (the definition for continuous loads), so it's not an issue. The most you'd expect it to be over the continuous power rating is for 5-10 minutes at a stretch.

Agree that it's V3, and I'll add that we've seen this marking on other V3 stalls.

I'm not sure I buy the "peak" vs. "continuous" load argument though. A "peak" load would be sub-second (or at least sub-minute). 5-10 minutes would certainly count as continuous, at least in my book.

My theory is that it's simply leftover packaging/decals that was never updated from V2.

Agree that it's V3, and I'll add that we've seen this marking on other V3 stalls.

I'm not sure I buy the "peak" vs. "continuous" load argument though. A "peak" load would be sub-second (or at least sub-minute). 5-10 minutes would certainly count as continuous, at least in my book.

My theory is that it's simply leftover packaging/decals that was never updated from V2.
"Continuous load" is a defined term, not just an amorphous idea of whatever sounds long enough to qualify to me or you or whoever. It's 3 hours or longer. If you want to check for yourself, you can find the definition in Article 100 of the National Electric Code.

"Continuous load" is a defined term, not just an amorphous idea of whatever sounds long enough to qualify to me or you or whoever. It's 3 hours or longer. If you want to check for yourself, you can find the definition in Article 100 of the National Electric Code.

Okay, I'll take your word for it. My EE specialty is chip design, and we apparently have a much different scale we use for peak vs. continuous load, which is not unexpected, but I have to admit, 3 hours does seem quite lengthy, as the difference relates to transient vs. steady-state behavior. I.e. when the current has been flowing long enough for the temperature of the component in question to heat up to it's steady-state temperature. Unsurprisingly in a chip, this is on the millisecond scale, but I would expect even on the macro scale that components would reach this point within a minute, and not a full 3 hours...but I guess you learn something new every day!

the electrical specification plates on the chargers indicate max of 500v and 350amps... these are 150kw... but photos I've seen seem to show smaller diameter cables meaning V3. Very confusing right now.
None of the 150kw chargers have these power boxes. So simply based off that I would say these are V3. Plus supercharger.info says they’re 250kw as well.