Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fargo, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe Lightfoot is asking what "looks" looks like.

In other words, where'd you get your information.
Yep, thanks for clarifying. I was wondering where the drawing was that had 6 on it! The plans are very well laid out for exactly what it will look like. 3D renders with a Model S shown charging and everything (I paged through digitally the Dickinson submission at City Hall).

OT

I suspect the real answer is far more mundane - population density. The only superchargers in the Canadian prairie provinces are in Alberta, the province that produces almost all the oil in Canada. But it has the two largest cities between Vancouver and Toronto, plus it has (had?) a lot of money for all that population to buy expensive cars. There was a (logical) suggestion that for the last few years Tesla put all its money into rolling out the model 3, so adding supercharger capability in less traveled regions - North Dakota, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and northern Ontario along the Trans-Canada Highway - this was an expense that could be postponed until the company had some positive quarters. I read somewhere each Supercharger installation could run up to $250,000. We're now starting to see some action, at least up here, now that finances are good for Tesla.

The problem with this line of thinking, which I agree is what Tesla was probably thinking, is the inaccurate conflation of "lower population density" with "less travelled". Sure, North Dakota's a "drive through state", but a lot of people are driving through to get from one side to the other.... It's like the massive importance of having a Supercharger in Erie, PA, which took years longer than it should have -- it was essential for getting from New England and Upstate NY to the Midwest without going through Canada, and the low population of Erie was irrelevant. I do think Tesla understands this better than they used to, but they got it wrong for the first few years of Supercharger installation.

OT

The problem with this line of thinking, which I agree is what Tesla was probably thinking, is the inaccurate conflation of "lower population density" with "less travelled". Sure, North Dakota's a "drive through state", but a lot of people are driving through to get from one side to the other.... It's like the massive importance of having a Supercharger in Erie, PA, which took years longer than it should have -- it was essential for getting from New England and Upstate NY to the Midwest without going through Canada, and the low population of Erie was irrelevant. I do think Tesla understands this better than they used to, but they got it wrong for the first few years of Supercharger installation.

The problem is we're talking a whole different level of "low population". Buffalo area, Cleveland, not to mention Detroit, Toledo, etc. - a whole different ball game from Fargo or Bismark. For cross-country, the South Dakota route is already there and has (sorry) more interesting attractions along the way. But I would love to take a more direct route to Yellowstone for example...

Believe me, I'm as frustrated as you or more so at the lack of Fargo, Grand Forks, Alexandria, Pembina. I wonder how long before they fill in between Fargo and Sioux Falls, too. I may end up being able to take a road trip to Calgary and Edmonton before I get to Minneapolis at this rate.

The problem is we're talking a whole different level of "low population". Buffalo area, Cleveland, not to mention Detroit, Toledo, etc. - a whole different ball game from Fargo or Bismark. For cross-country, the South Dakota route is already there and has (sorry) more interesting attractions along the way. But I would love to take a more direct route to Yellowstone for example...

Believe me, I'm as frustrated as you or more so at the lack of Fargo, Grand Forks, Alexandria, Pembina. I wonder how long before they fill in between Fargo and Sioux Falls, too. I may end up being able to take a road trip to Calgary and Edmonton before I get to Minneapolis at this rate.
That's not the problem. The problem is WE were told WE would be receiving them and bought a car on that idea. In ND we have to travel 100-200-300 miles one way to attend events or even 1-2 day trips. It isn't "just" a crossing. It's required to function normally. We drive more, the statistics clearly show it.

I feel your frustration. A guy who deals in used cars told us there were about 60 Teslas in all of Manitoba (last year). I see one occasionally here. I certainly expect to be able to drive somewhere someday soon without having to make overnight stops, but that isn't happening yet. But sorry, that's my point.about density - Winnipeg is probably the only really decent sized city beyond Minneapolis in the general area and we don't have a lot of local Tesla owners. I'm curious how many in ND. It's a chicken and egg situation, but sooner or later Tesla has to lay those supercharger eggs or nothing will hatch. (I assume Grand Forks, Pembina, and I94 would cover almost all the population there - when they finally build it) I guess I'm luckier than you in that I have a minor commute and most of my day trips are fairly close to the city - Portage la Prairie is about as far as I've gone. So my car is still practical until I can break out.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden
I feel your frustration. A guy who deals in used cars told us there were about 60 Teslas in all of Manitoba (last year). I see one occasionally here. I certainly expect to be able to drive somewhere someday soon without having to make overnight stops, but that isn't happening yet. But sorry, that's my point.about density - Winnipeg is probably the only really decent sized city beyond Minneapolis in the general area and we don't have a lot of local Tesla owners. I'm curious how many in ND. It's a chicken and egg situation, but sooner or later Tesla has to lay those supercharger eggs or nothing will hatch. (I assume Grand Forks, Pembina, and I94 would cover almost all the population there - when they finally build it) I guess I'm luckier than you in that I have a minor commute and most of my day trips are fairly close to the city - Portage la Prairie is about as far as I've gone. So my car is still practical until I can break out.
Correct on coverage. The outliers are Minot (I think they should have one) and Williston (I can see why they don't, but it would be good to complete all major routes)

I charged at Dacotah Ridge golf course near Morton, MN on Sunday while I played. An electrician from a firm in St.Paul was there tuning up the two Tesla chargers. He had just finished and we had a great conversation. He has done a lot of work around the state for Tesla and seemed very knowledgeable about how they do things. He said very little installation work was done around here last year because Elon didn’t want to spend the money while the company was trying to show a profit. That has now changed and the floodgates are opening for the I 94 corridor and the Midwest.
Contracts awarded in the next several weeks. He said when they get started they do them fairly quickly, in 45-60 days, with the plan (his guess) to finish by winter. We shall see.

I charged at Dacotah Ridge golf course near Morton, MN on Sunday while I played. An electrician from a firm in St.Paul was there tuning up the two Tesla chargers. He had just finished and we had a great conversation. He has done a lot of work around the state for Tesla and seemed very knowledgeable about how they do things. He said very little installation work was done around here last year because Elon didn’t want to spend the money while the company was trying to show a profit. That has now changed and the floodgates are opening for the I 94 corridor and the Midwest.
Contracts awarded in the next several weeks. He said when they get started they do them fairly quickly, in 45-60 days, with the plan (his guess) to finish by winter. We shall see.
It would be interesting to find out how many Teslas are registered in ND. Haven't found any specific info on that.

It would be interesting to find out how many Teslas are registered in ND. Haven't found any specific info on that.
If you want to know the actual number of Teslas in ND, call the ND DOT. They've given that info in the past. The Bismarck Tribune article that came out last week cited 141 EVs in ND, but that's an old figure. I'd estimate it's closer to a whopping 160 EVs now ;). A swag guess at the percent of Teslas would be 50% or 80 in the state total. As other's have mentioned, the Fargo, Grand Forks, Pembina SCs will help connect Winnipeg to the lower 48 and be a big selling point to a large, by midwest standards, metro population.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
Haha! That would be Dickinson. We have multiple oil wells inside city limits.

You may find this hard to believe, but so does the City of Los Angeles. They are just concealed behind facades and building shells. In fact, if memory serves, Beverly Hills High School has or had an oil well on the school grounds.

The La Brea Tar Pits (yes, the name is a redundancy) sorta gives credence to the oil within Los Angeles.

Sorry for the detour. We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.