Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fargo, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we just got a call from the Element Hotel in Fargo (we had asked them about charging) - the front desk said that they have heard that groundbreaking on the SC occurs tomorrow - too late for our trip to Winnipeg but HEY - it would be nice! Maybe the dominoes will fall and the pathway up north will become charged!
That is great news if accurate. Does anybody see progress today?
It would be great, but frankly, this seems likely to have been an instance of citogenesis or similar. The new survey ticket has a "Work To Begin" date of 6/27. Which gets reported here (and likely discussed other places on line). People who are reading the thread (or in other online communities) mention this fact, it plays telephone within the folks in the area, and then gets spit back out to us where it seems like news or confirmation. But the survey was never for digging.

It would be great, but frankly, this seems likely to have been an instance of citogenesis or similar. The new survey ticket has a "Work To Begin" date of 6/27. Which gets reported here (and likely discussed other places on line). People who are reading the thread (or in other online communities) mention this fact, it plays telephone within the folks in the area, and then gets spit back out to us where it seems like news or confirmation. But the survey was never for digging.
... or the Supercharger work crew could be staying at the hotel.
The hotel that knows what a Supercharger is because they have the best Destination Charger in town and an endless supply of Tesla owners staying at the hotel, griping because they don't have a nearby Supercharger.
(Been there, done that.)

P.S. Extra points for the slightly excellent xkcd reference.

Reactions: mociaf9
This is what I was thinking too.

I had never heard the term citogenesis, but it's definitely an interesting phenomenon. An old friend of mine used to have a hobby of inserting jokes into wikipedia pages. He got fairly proficient at getting these jokes to stick (fake citations, etc.) and many of them did. One of the ones that proliferated the most was his that Jose Lima was suffering from excess gas prior to his death:

José Lima - Wikipedia

I agree with the previous poster -- this permit is for a survey that will help the design engineering team actually put together the plans for this Supercharger. They can't break ground until the plans are done and we likely need to see a permit for actually digging into the ground before any groundbreaking can happen.

It's official that the Mall location is OUT in Fargo. They could not reach an agreement with Tesla. This from Fargo Mall staff.

Other sources point to not expect any digging in Fargo in the next days to few weeks. But that wouldn't stop me from checking if I was nearby! I did not stop to look when I passed through knowing what I did right before I made the trip. If all sources are correct I'll be able to present a first day of digging in ND for a supercharger. I don't have said date, and it may not be the first site, but these sources haven't been wrong once yet.

The real news. All locations are awaiting site preparation once the hardware (read: V3 chargers) is available.

It's official that the Mall location is OUT in Fargo. They could not reach an agreement with Tesla. This from Fargo Mall staff.

Other sources point to not expect any digging in Fargo in the next days to few weeks. But that wouldn't stop me from checking if I was nearby! I did not stop to look when I passed through knowing what I did right before I made the trip. If all sources are correct I'll be able to present a first day of digging in ND for a supercharger. I don't have said date, and it may not be the first site, but these sources haven't been wrong once yet.

The real news. All locations are awaiting site preparation once the hardware (read: V3 chargers) is available.
Are you sure they are waiting on v3 hardware? Many sites v2 sites are currently waiting on hardware as well.

I just thought he misspelled cytogenesis and was wondering what cell development had to do with this information, unless this was an obtuse metaphor. Still don't understand the inside joke, if there is one. :)
Go to the citogenesis link, which is at xkcd.com . Do it when you have some time to spare. Randall has some profound insight into how a lot of things in life work. Some of his cartoons are classics.

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
I just thought he misspelled cytogenesis and was wondering what cell development had to do with this information, unless this was an obtuse metaphor. Still don't understand the inside joke, if there is one. :)

It's xkcd. I could mock you for not knowing about it, but I'm an xkcd fan and therefore ...

xkcd: Ten Thousand

There's an xkcd for every occasion.

I asked the Tesla employees about the north dakota superchargers about two weeks ago. And one guy thought they were waiting on the v3 superchargers hardware.(which I think is bs. How come they didn't build them 3 years ago) and the other employee said Tesla was getting some pushback from north dakota it being a oil state. Like really nd!?

I asked the Tesla employees about the north Dakota superchargers about two weeks ago. And one guy thought they were waiting on the v3 superchargers hardware.(which I think is bs. How come they didn't build them 3 years ago) and the other employee said Tesla was getting some pushback from north Dakota it being a oil state. Like really nd!?

I suspect the real answer is far more mundane - population density. The only superchargers in the Canadian prairie provinces are in Alberta, the province that produces almost all the oil in Canada. But it has the two largest cities between Vancouver and Toronto, plus it has (had?) a lot of money for all that population to buy expensive cars. There was a (logical) suggestion that for the last few years Tesla put all its money into rolling out the model 3, so adding supercharger capability in less traveled regions - North Dakota, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and northern Ontario along the Trans-Canada Highway - this was an expense that could be postponed until the company had some positive quarters. I read somewhere each Supercharger installation could run up to $250,000. We're now starting to see some action, at least up here, now that finances are good for Tesla.

(Also - how long have they been talking about V3? Once the idea was out there, probably made sense to wait for that tech rather than put in the older stuff, since presumably the construction and equipment costs per install would be comparable. Again, Buffalo has been set up as a V3 production line - but we have yet to see any results. Is that something where, once it starts, we'll see plenty?))