Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Forks, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, everyone needs a solid route from Portland to Burning Man right? Oregon east and central is definitely lacking in coverage.
Heh. I had to go look up where Burning Man is held. But yeah, that's the interesting thing about that huge gap. Burns, OR would cover about three major routes in different directions. I always think of the east-west way, but it also enables that southeast path of Oregon-78 to US-95 and the US-395 path.

Heh. I had to go look up where Burning Man is held. But yeah, that's the interesting thing about that huge gap. Burns, OR would cover about three major routes in different directions. I always think of the east-west way, but it also enables that southeast path of Oregon-78 to US-95 and the US-395 path.
"If you're going to Winnemucca, Mack, with me you can ride..."

Huh.
"Ideally meant for long distance only, will be deployed in far out places to bridge gaps..."

Oregon's bermuda triangle finally? 319 miles
I do not understand Elon’s reasoning. V3 won’t give you more range than V2, it will give you the same amount of range but you will spend less time getting it.

Okay, that’s great, but V3’s speed advantage would be best used at extremely busy SC locations to reduce wait times.

I am puzzled as to why the Forks SC is going to be one of the first V3 locations.

Reactions: ohmman
I do not understand Elon’s reasoning. V3 won’t give you more range than V2, it will give you the same amount of range but you will spend less time getting it.

Okay, that’s great, but V3’s speed advantage would be best used at extremely busy SC locations to reduce wait times.

I am puzzled as to why the Forks SC is going to be one of the first V3 locations.
To be fair, Elon hasn't necessarily said this, some Redditor has. And while I think nearly everything sounds reasonable, I agree that this particular point makes little sense. If it's more efficient and faster, it will save the most money and time in a busy location. But then, installing the first one in a busy location would also draw a lot of attention.

We'll know more in 12 hours.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I think it's being misinterpreted. I imagine every new supercharger will be v3 but all of the "obvious" locations have already been covered by v2 superchargers. It doesn't make financial sense for 20% savings to replace a relatively new supercharger. The 20% returns would take a long time to pay back. So most superchargers are either A) urban superchargers which won't be upgraded and prioritize quantity of stalls over speed and are probably cheaper than v3 B) distant gap filling like Forks, WA.

So yeah it would be nice to have v3s in existing locations but if the goal is to save money it makes more sense to prioritize new construction.

Also, is it possible all v2s will charge faster as well? If firmware is upgrading cars to charge faster then there is still a lot of room on v2s to flatten out the SOC\charge rate curve. Just a few minutes more of 120kw on v2 would go a long way. Unless of course v3 is a voltage change to make those faster rates possible.

Reactions: RedMS
It might be a quality over quantity thing too. In some of these out of the way locations, it won't make sense or be feasible to have a dozen or more chargers. A place like Forks could get by with very few chargers, but it would be nice if they turned over quicker so in cases where they do all fill up, your trip isn't derailed waiting a long time for a spot.

What if Forks just happened to be the next place to get a non-urban supercharger in WA, and every non-urban supercharger built from now on is v3?

That and most of the people using Forks will be passing through, so they will want to have a faster charge to cut their travel time down. Chances are good that all existing non-urban superchargers will get retrofitted to v3 over the coming years anyway.

Reactions: IdaX
What if Forks just happened to be the next place to get a non-urban supercharger in WA, and every non-urban supercharger built from now on is v3?

That and most of the people using Forks will be passing through, so they will want to have a faster charge to cut their travel time down. Chances are good that all existing non-urban superchargers will get retrofitted to v3 over the coming years anyway.
It sounds as if retrofitting isn’t in the plans at this point. Just v3 for new locations, spaced between existing locations.

Hmm... No existing sites will be upgraded to V3. All new sites that are not Urban posts will be V3. Forks, WA will be V3 100%.

It might be a quality over quantity thing too. In some of these out of the way locations, it won't make sense or be feasible to have a dozen or more chargers. A place like Forks could get by with very few chargers, but it would be nice if they turned over quicker so in cases where they do all fill up, your trip isn't derailed waiting a long time for a spot.

8 V3 posts at Forks, WA confirmed with 1 pull-in stall.

To be fair, Elon hasn't necessarily said this, some Redditor has. And while I think nearly everything sounds reasonable, I agree that this particular point makes little sense. If it's more efficient and faster, it will save the most money and time in a busy location. But then, installing the first one in a busy location would also draw a lot of attention.

We'll know more in 12 hours.

"Some Redditor" - Was confirmed yesterday evening... Just saying seems like their source was on point.

Reactions: ohmman