Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure that Tesla use stats from their network and ownership locations amongst other thing to figure out where to put superchargers.
As others have mentioned, there are other options. SCs just make it easier.

You'd be surprised how much direct feedback can influence the *timing*, however. Locations have been forecast for years and yes, tweaked per density and such.

There are no other practical options for efficient transcontinental travel. It's SCs or nothing. Time is money for those upon whom expectations are to travel at the same level of efficiency as exists for ICEs. One day, when I'm retired and don't care about wasting a half-day and an overnight every third day because Tesla can't meet it's own forecasted commitments, I will be pleasantly unconcerned.

Until *that* day, however, I will continue to question, among other things, an obvious inability to meet commitments. Here's a fun one that truly does fall into the recreational as opposed to the professional: The Alaskan Highway. First transited in 2013 by a fellow in a red Model S (from Tijuana to Fairbanks, iirc), Elon did say relatively recently that he'd light up the Alaskan Highway (within some purported timeframe that is in no danger of being actually met).

For those unfamiliar, the Alaskan Highway is a feat of engineering with some sections not much different from their World War II-era construction. Transiting *that* is old school - drive for 5 hours, charge for 19 hours, rinse and repeat. I doubt there are even Chademos yet. It's almost a vanity project, as it were.

Now *that* fits into the "<1%" canard far more plausibly than providing the first and only transcontinental route that doesn't put drivers into greater risk when ICErs wouldn't think of detouring.

I'm just glad that Fort Stockton *got* permit-ed. I just hope it doesn't go the way of Santa Barbara, whose blue dot was unceremoniously removed relatively recently as well after something like a year of stagnation. Not that this is unusual for Santa Barbara, but I digress.

TexasEV: you are correct of course, but "through west Texas" is where I need to go.
We are about three years past the originally published completion date for this site.

Ain't that the truth.

Before I email the supercharger team again, does anyone have current info with regard to overcoming the delays associated with this now key location? Now key, I say, since Deming is under construction and Willcox is finally permit-ed.

Tucson got done (pending transformer and inspection this week) and then Deming construction started. Most with an 85 or better can get from Tucson to Deming without Willcox (although probably not as expeditiously). However, those unfamiliar with Fort Stockton (including me) are now more curious about when that gap is addressed.

So I just looked - it's a 100-mile detour through Midland as recommended by evtripplanner.com to get from Ozana to Van Horn. Or vice versa. That's not great as it extends what are already long days through the um, heartland. On the other hand, evtripplanner sez, due in part to the elevation and higher speed limit, that Ozana to Van Horn will consume more kW than I'm comfortable expending - and that's in non-rainy, warm wx.

Fortunately, there's a 50A in between. Then again, it's exactly *one* 50A and exactly *one* wall outlet. But it's free and evidently the people are nice. Thing is, it's a wash between that option and just diverting to Midland. Feh. Anyway, see info below.

Also noticed there are at least 2 truck stops in Fort Stockton - a Flying J (hello Warren Buffett) and a Love's. C'mon, Tesla - why haven't y'all inked a deal with one or both of these nationals or at least a couple of their regionals to add SCs? Similar to that east coast chain - Splitz or Splatz or whatever it is. Everybody loves more convenience store traffic, after all, and those truck stops have decent facilities and restaurants at least half the time...

The midway 50A option from Plugshare:

Balmorhea City Hall/Visitor Center

PlugScore

Ports
Wall Outlet (120V), NEMA 14-50

Address
101 S. Main St., Balmorhea, TX 79718

Description
I-10 westbound exit 209; I-10 eastbound exit 206. The City Hall/Visitor's Center is located at the northeast end of town on I-10 Business. There was no charge to hook up to the 50A tie in. Local EMTs are also on site and are very friendly.

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam
TaoJones (love the moniker): Thank you for your comment.
Nice in-town walk about in Balmorhea. Amazing that all that water just pops out of the ground in the desert.

We have also charged here: Location.
Restaurant, rather pleasant place. But 50A are imho impractical on a long distance trip. Too slow.

I still believe that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I do not understand why more of us don't complain.
Perhaps we are complaining to the wrong people? Anybody here know Elon?

Charlie

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
So I just looked - it's a 100-mile detour through Midland as recommended by evtripplanner.com to get from Ozana to Van Horn. Or vice versa. That's not great as it extends what are already long days through the um, heartland. On the other hand, evtripplanner sez, due in part to the elevation and higher speed limit, that Ozana to Van Horn will consume more kW than I'm comfortable expending - and that's in non-rainy, warm wx.

Fortunately, there's a 50A in between. Then again, it's exactly *one* 50A and exactly *one* wall outlet. But it's free and evidently the people are nice. Thing is, it's a wash between that option and just diverting to Midland. Feh. Anyway, see info below.

Also noticed there are at least 2 truck stops in Fort Stockton - a Flying J (hello Warren Buffett) and a Love's. C'mon, Tesla - why haven't y'all inked a deal with one or both of these nationals or at least a couple of their regionals to add SCs? Similar to that east coast chain - Splitz or Splatz or whatever it is. Everybody loves more convenience store traffic, after all, and those truck stops have decent facilities and restaurants at least half the time...

The midway 50A option from Plugshare:

Balmorhea City Hall/Visitor Center

PlugScore

Ports
Wall Outlet (120V), NEMA 14-50

Address
101 S. Main St., Balmorhea, TX 79718

Description
I-10 westbound exit 209; I-10 eastbound exit 206. The City Hall/Visitor's Center is located at the northeast end of town on I-10 Business. There was no charge to hook up to the 50A tie in. Local EMTs are also on site and are very friendly.
You are also not accounting for the frequent strong winds in the area, usually from the west. There is definitely an elevation change as well.

As stated earlier in this thread, the Balmorhea city RV park is a fairly informal operation and it is rather random as far as cost. I was charged 64 cents an hour to charge there, and a week later @charliepmayer was unable to get a tolerable price from them, and they wanted the fee for a full night. Even the fee for a full night seems to be variable, depending on who is working the desk.

My take is that going from east to west is a bad idea, no matter what battery you have. West to east with a large battery car and favorable winds and the willingness to drive at a reduced speed when others are driving 90 mph, might be do-able if you are careful.

You are also not accounting for the frequent strong winds in the area, usually from the west. There is definitely an elevation change as well.

As stated earlier in this thread, the Balmorhea city RV park is a fairly informal operation and it is rather random as far as cost. I was charged 64 cents an hour to charge there, and a week later @charliepmayer was unable to get a tolerable price from them, and they wanted the fee for a full night. Even the fee for a full night seems to be variable, depending on who is working the desk.

My take is that going from east to west is a bad idea, no matter what battery you have. West to east with a large battery car and favorable winds and the willingness to drive at a reduced speed when others are driving 90 mph, might be do-able if you are careful.

Fair enough, although for 161 miles from Ozana uphill to Balmorhea (relying upon the Plugshare link and not the RV park), I'd call that doable in an 85 or better with a full charge. The worst range on the highway I've gotten was through the Badlands into a series of headwinds and crosswinds at high/new South Dakota speed limits and even then I managed 170 miles point to point. Which was helpful since the SC was 160-168 miles of that.

The annoyances are several, however:

1. Waiting for that full charge in Ozana.
2. Other factors including rain and low temperature potential.
3. The detour through Midland being a wash in terms of time and wisdom.

It would be nice if everyone reading this thread could be bothered to take 5 minutes to email the supercharger team for an update before the permit vaporizes for Fort Stockton if it has not already.

TaoJones (love the moniker): Thank you for your comment.
Nice in-town walk about in Balmorhea. Amazing that all that water just pops out of the ground in the desert.

We have also charged here: Location.
Restaurant, rather pleasant place. But 50A are imho impractical on a long distance trip. Too slow.

I still believe that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I do not understand why more of us don't complain.
Perhaps we are complaining to the wrong people? Anybody here know Elon?

Charlie

Agreed, agreed, and agreed. I saw Elon once, but he was running late...

I charged at Balmorhea on Monday nite. The 50A outlet is not attached to the City Hall building but is located where the RV's are parked. I dropped the car off at the location around 6:30pm and picked it up Tuesday morning.

A person named Ike showed me where to plug in. The cost was free. However, the circuit breaker tripped after about 15 minutes (fortunately it showed that on my phone). So I went back to the location, reset the breaker and lowered the car charge rate to 25A. I spent the night at The Eleven Inn, located about 7 blocks from the City Hall. Turned out the owner of The Eleven Inn is on the City Hall council, and there was a meeting at City Hall Monday at 7pm. I told her I was going to leave the car there overnight to charge. MAybe that is why the charging was free? I don't know.

So while there is a 50A outlet available, don't count on charging at 40A. Maybe 30A will work, I just didn't try it since I figured the car could charge all night.

I charged to 250 miles range. Got to the Ozona Supercharger (160 mile distance from Balmorhea) with 21 miles range left. Wind, elevation and speed (75 mph limit, traveled about 72mph and being passed by other cars) affect the distance you can go on a charge. This charging stop was definitely needed. I would not have made it from Van Horn to Ozona without this overnight stop. A supercharger for this leg is needed.

I wrote to the supercharger team pointing out the permit and lack of construction and got back this response at 6:30pm today (10/13/17)...

Hi John,

Thank you for your email. Our developer team is actively scouting site locations near Fort Stockton, Texas. We are working hard to open the I-10 route as quickly as we can. Although we cannot guarantee project timelines for this year, completing this route is one of our priorities.

Keep checking our website for new site announcements; we appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thank you,

The Tesla Supercharger Team
Sooo, ignore the current permit, apparently.

Maybe we won't see it until 2018. :-(

John

I wrote to the supercharger team pointing out the permit and lack of construction and got back this response at 6:30pm today (10/13/17)...

Hi John,

Thank you for your email. Our developer team is actively scouting site locations near Fort Stockton, Texas. We are working hard to open the I-10 route as quickly as we can. Although we cannot guarantee project timelines for this year, completing this route is one of our priorities.

Keep checking our website for new site announcements; we appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thank you,

Sooo, ignore the current permit, apparently.

Maybe we won't see it until 2018. :-(

John
Haha, there are really no "locations near Fort Stockton". There are a few that are technically outside the city limits, but I doubt if those are willing to host the SC for tax/political reasons. Tesla may have a situation they can't solve with anything but extreme measures.

Maybe time for the first all solar/Powerpack Supercharger! (with restrooms)

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
Supercharger via teslamotorsinc.onmicrosoft.com
6:02 PM (15 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for your email. We are working hard to open the I-10 route as quickly as we can. Although we cannot guarantee project timelines for this year, completing this route is one of our priorities.

Thank you,

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.
Interactive Supercharger Map

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 7:00 PM
To: Supercharger <[email protected]>
Subject: Fort Stockton SC site stolen!

It seems that someone has stolen the entire Supercharger site in Fort Stockton, Texas!

I think it was originally promised for 2014 - but alas, the crooks have prevailed.

I have searched the town for three years and nada - zip - nothing!

These crooks must be very clever to not reveal any details.

Perhaps you can help?

Thank you,
Charlie Mayer

For I-10 in the meantime I presume it is still Iraan Energy House and Balmorhea City Hall. Are there any other decent options about which I do not know?

Did they let you pay by the hour?
Did they let you pay by the hour?
Hope people aren’t trying to be cheapskates if that’s a critical stop. Perhaps someone could try to get an 80a destination charger there on Tesla’s dime and agree to a “fair” non-patron price?

I’d be a rough biz proposition for a small company to invest in something that will be useless once the supercharger actually does get built.

Hope people aren’t trying to be cheapskates if that’s a critical stop. Perhaps someone could try to get an 80a destination charger there on Tesla’s dime and agree to a “fair” non-patron price?

I’d be a rough biz proposition for a small company to invest in something that will be useless once the supercharger actually does get built.

??? I'm not sure what you mean. Some RV parks insist on paying the full overnight rate for a few hours of charge. I'd gladly pay ~$2-3/hr but $37 even for a full charge is a bit ridiculous....

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I got the same form letter yesterday as those above.

Certainly puts the efficacy of that ancient permit in further doubt.

There are at least 2 truck stops in Ft. Stockton and who knows how many hotels and motels and fast food establishments.

Would prefer to see HPWCs at the lodging venues. SCs are much more suited to fast food and truck stop/travel plaza business models. The worst fit being malls.

Speaking of truck stops, am tempted to write Warren to see if he’d like to grease the wheels for an SC and a DQ at his newly-acquired Pilot/Flying J property.

After all, it would be the Right Thing to do.

Reactions: rpez021