Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think the annoyance is directed specifically at Tesla; rather, its directed at the fact (for whatever reason) that the I10 route (along with the I40 route) are still incomplete, making travel from the East coast of Washington, D.C. or Florida, to Arizona very difficult.

I bought my car in 2013, indicating to the Tesla personnel at that time that I wished to do a trip from the D.C. area to Arizona in the car. Every Tesla employee I spoke to assured me I would be able to do this via the supercharger network by the end of 2014. We are now mid-way through 2017 and these routes are still not complete, so I've been patiently waiting and waiting to do this road trip.

Last year I was diagnosed with cancer. Had surgery and pre-operative and post-operative radiation treatments. I can not continue to wait longer for these routes to be completed, so I am going to make this trip next month while I am still able to, not knowing what I will do to charge in the "zones" where there are no superchargers.
Just go to from DC to Indy to OKC and then along I-40, or Florida to Dallas, up to OKC and then along I-40. The gaps in the supercharger highway are frustrating (especially along the interstates, which should have been completed last year imo), but to say that cross-country travel is very difficult would be an overstatement. One just needs a little patience and flexibility.

brkhaus, I'd be happy to use the HPWC at the tasting house downtown - the Annie Riggs museum is interesting.

PLUS EV, I think I understand your point, but it is clear on this forum that 4 years of patience is long enough - and there are no alternate routes in the area we are discussing, so your flexibility is severely limited. I politely disagree, but "very difficult" is indeed correct, especially when you compare this area with the facilities available on the west coast.

We carry a small card table and two chairs to play cards or dominoes while we wait. Not a good way to promote EVs.

swegman, sorry for your diagnosis. Please PM me when you want to make that trip, there are some places you don't want to miss!

I don't think the annoyance is directed specifically at Tesla; rather, its directed at the fact (for whatever reason) that the I10 route (along with the I40 route) are still incomplete, making travel from the East coast of Washington, D.C. or Florida, to Arizona very difficult.

I bought my car in 2013, indicating to the Tesla personnel at that time that I wished to do a trip from the D.C. area to Arizona in the car. Every Tesla employee I spoke to assured me I would be able to do this via the supercharger network by the end of 2014. We are now mid-way through 2017 and these routes are still not complete, so I've been patiently waiting and waiting to do this road trip.

Last year I was diagnosed with cancer. Had surgery and pre-operative and post-operative radiation treatments. I can not continue to wait longer for these routes to be completed, so I am going to make this trip next month while I am still able to, not knowing what I will do to charge in the "zones" where there are no superchargers.

Genuinely sorry to hear of your physical difficulties.
Will be saying a prayer for you tonight.

Regarding possible traversing the US using I-40:
If you are determined to travel from DC to Arizona, I-40 is nearly complete.
Head toward Little Rock supercharger, then West to Fort Smith and North on I-540 to Bentonville.

There is a great Hotel (21c for free overnight charging) in Bentonville, Arkansas that is walking distance to Crystal Bridges Museum.
They currently have an awesome Dale Chihuly exhibition in the gardens and inside.

Then navigate West over toward Tulsa/Catoosa (Supercharger), at least two excellent Museums there.
Then on toward OKC (another phenomenal Chihuly permanent collection in their Museum), and pick up the rest of I-40 headed West.

As long as you ample size battery pack (*S85 or so), you should be able to fulfill you travel wishes.

Currently route using I-10 is a bit more challenging.
Hopefully it will be solved this calendar year.
VERY hot from South Texas to Tucson and Phoenix.

brkhaus, I'd be happy to use the HPWC at the tasting house downtown - the Annie Riggs museum is interesting.

PLUS EV, I think I understand your point, but it is clear on this forum that 4 years of patience is long enough - and there are no alternate routes in the area we are discussing, so your flexibility is severely limited. I politely disagree, but "very difficult" is indeed correct, especially when you compare this area with the facilities available on the west coast.

We carry a small card table and two chairs to play cards or dominoes while we wait. Not a good way to promote EVs.

swegman, sorry for your diagnosis. Please PM me when you want to make that trip, there are some places you don't want to miss!
You apparently did not read the post I was responding to.

Cruised involuntarily slowly through Fort Stockton today on the way to the Ozona SC. No sign of construction except at the McD rebuild (hmmm?). Still a pita and dangerous to go 60 when everyone else is going 85. Does anyone at Tesla read this?