Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Tucson, the local club organized a "Grand Opening" event for the local Supercharger since Tesla wasn't going to. Invited the local politicians (who mostly declined) and the local Tesla people: service and ex-Solar-City, who DID show up. Had a great turnout (pictures in the Tucson SpC thread in the Mountain/Southwest section).

So, it Tesla corporate isn't interested in celebrating this one if/when it finally gets built, there's no reason those of us who have been waiting for it for a llloooonnnnggggg time now can't have our own unofficial party.

Having a vehicle from the East and from the West terminus head-to-head on either side of the "spike" would be similar to the meeting of the Union Pacific and Central Pacific locomotives at Promontory Point UT.

The application itself has not been approved and we are already planning an opening party?

nothing wrong in dreaming though..

There is a possibility we will get a 400 mile before this SC comes alive. So then all the Golden spike reasons just fade away.

Au contraire, my dear young ray of sunshine.

For sometimes, momentum is created... in reverse ;).

See presold FSD or the 2014 SC forecast maps as examples. Too soon?

Seriously for a moment, we build highways not for the fastest vehicles, but for the slower ones. In our case, for the 60/70/75 as much as for the 100D and beyond.

You will obviously recognize why I took the route in this graphic around the US back in 2015. Over 500 miles additional driving. I10 was poorly covered at that time. I was hoping to do it again by staying on 10 all the way, but I don't think my 85 is a safe bet. Hurry, Fort Stockton; you are holding up the revolution!

View attachment 284636

Unless your range has seriously degraded in your 85, there is no need to avoid going east on I-10 (provided you have 19" eco "green" tires such as the Primacy MXM4 or the Pirelli Cinturado P7"). I do it often in my P85. Going west is the bitch. The distance from the Van Horn SC to the Ozona SC is 227 miles. The decrease in elevation is just over 1700 feet. To make this jaunt, I'll charge to 252 miles at Van Horn, pump up my tires to 50 psi, drive at 65 to 70 mph (like the majority of the semi trucks on that stretch of I-10), and reset the Navigator for Ozona while driving through Fort Stockton. (The latter helps to recalibrate the Navigator in an area that has cell connectivity to the car.) I've made it to Ozona easily even with mild head winds. (You do have to pay attention to the wind forecasts. There's a reason this area is loaded with wind turbines.) Worse case scenario is you look like you won't have enough energy to make it to Ozona and you have to divert to Iraan, which is about 54 miles from Ozona. This side track will add 6-10 miles overall to the 227 miles, depending on the route you take from Iraan to Ozona. The charger in Iraan is a 70 amp ClipperCreek. There is no charge to use it and its available 24/7. (Thanks Ira.)

There is a possibility we will get a 400 mile before this SC comes alive. So then all the Golden spike reasons just fade away.

Consider this Fake News, but the 2170 would allow this kind of range in the same S/X battery pack space AND also allow faster charging.
Tesla Long Rangers.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Indeed! Just as the old steam engine locomotives had limited range before needing more water and coal. And, I would guess the early airliners had limited range before needing to refuel.
Yep. In fact, railways created the towns of the Upper Midwest USA at intervals to resupply locomotives with coal and water. Thee became the agricultural collection points, too.

I may even wear a tuxedo. With top hat. And tails.

Mr. Jones, I would have expected a man with your sophistication and elegance not to conflate a tuxedo with tailcoats. Of course, one would have to know the appointed time for such a rendezvous; morning wear is much different from afternoon wear and of course, evening wear.

I shall bring the petit fours and canapes. May we impose upon you for the caviar and champagne? :) Oh, and good cigars too.

Mr. Jones, I would have expected a man with your sophistication and elegance not to conflate a tuxedo with tailcoats. Of course, one would have to know the appointed time for such a rendezvous; morning wear is much different from afternoon wear and of course, evening wear.

I shall bring the petit fours and canapes. May we impose upon you for the caviar and champagne? :) Oh, and good cigars too.

Very well said, sir, and I sit corrected! That I'm going to have to also probably wear socks *twitch* for this soiree is also duly noted.

Canapes? Hehe. Cigars? Cigars I can definitely do - as an ode to the Cigar Guy and his lawn chair at SJC if nothing else. For you see, (cue the violins) I had the poor timing to end up having to forego cigars rather abruptly, completely, and shortly after having just acquired a quantity of fresh Cubans. So they've been quietly aging in a well-balanced and maintained humidor for... several years now. So they should be just about ready.

I will make a note to bring a box - I can't remember if they're Ramon Allones or Romeo y Julietas. Either way, they're robustos or in the case of the latter, "short churchills" - which are essentially robustos. Which is to say perfect for a standing event of shorter duration.

This will be a fun trip - I hope a) that we can pull it off, and oh yeah, b) that an SC in FS gets built while we are still young or at least vertical.

Your move, Tesla. Feel no pressure.

Very well said, sir, and I sit corrected! That I'm going to have to also probably wear socks *twitch* for this soiree is also duly noted.

Cigars?

Your move, Tesla. Feel no pressure.
I no longer partake of cigars. However, Cubans are plentiful and widely varied here in Rio de Janeiro so I can easily bring whatever you want. Back when I did partake it was usually Montecristo #3. All I need to have is the order. Between now and the event I wil probably make several trips to the US, so I can bring a lot. All,I need to do is ensure proper humidifucation in the meantime.

The last time I was in Fort Stockton, the biggest thing there was the Walmart. What do you suppose will happen when Walmart applies for a permit to build a megacharger on site for their freight fleet?

I wonder if the Walmart lot would be a legit place for a sc station and if Walmart could flex some muscle to get it done.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Mr. Jones, might I suggest that you invest in a pair of spats to wear over your shoes and on your ankles? No one need know that you are sockless. But don't get gaiters. That would be, ahem, gauche.
To be gauche would be grossly inappropriate in Fort Stockton. Droit would be more nearly comfortable for the circumstances, would it not?.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Mr. Jones, might I suggest that you invest in a pair of spats to wear over your shoes and on your ankles? No one need know that you are sockless. But don't get gaiters. That would be, ahem, gauche.

Your sartorial acumen is beyond impressive, good sir! And you do present a tough choice indeed. The airy breeziness of going sans socks, the spiffiness of spats, or the utilitarian gaiters. Hmmmm.... perhaps a visual aid or two:

spats.png gaiters.jpeg

I no longer partake of cigars. However, Cubans are plentiful and widely varied here in Rio de Janeiro so I can easily bring whatever you want. Back when I did partake it was usually Montecristo #3. All I need to have is the order. Between now and the event I wil probably make several trips to the US, so I can bring a lot. All,I need to do is ensure proper humidifucation in the meantime.

You are very kind, sir. It appears that we are in the same boat (no more cigars for me - although for this event I may make an exception). I am happy to bring a box from the humidor in which my last shipment has been quietly in repose. That said, the more the merrier (there are only so many in a box, after all, and if this event gets legs, we could have quite the turnout (above and beyond curious locals); besides which, variety is a Good Thing) and aficionados will certainly appreciate the authentic taste of whatever you choose to bring. I do recall the last Montecristo I had as being smooth, consistent, and delicious :). Ah, those were the days.