Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was really trying to get confirmation of how a Tesla can use an EA station:

My understanding is they can only use ChaDEMO which I think is still limited to 50kW? Plus ChaDEMO is only available with the extra adaptor and only on S & X.

Correct?
It’s listed as per minute. Doesn’t say which hose. Time will tell.
Someone (driving a not-Tesla) that used one of the few that are already active, out on the East Coast, claimed there was no apparent differentiation in rates yet. Nothing listed anywhere on the website or on the box itself suggested it. You can plug into with any of the chargers and they are all listed as the same price.

I don't recall what they were driving, if it could use more than the 50kW (a Chevy Bolt can use up to 80kW, not sure if there are others out in the wild beyond a few I-Paces now) but they could even plug in at the "350kW" pedestal (but no ChaDEMO cable). Same per minute price. I think it was 35c there, that's their two prices that I've seen, 30c and 35c/min. Same $1 connect fee up front.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
was really trying to get confirmation of how a Tesla can use an EA station:

My understanding they can only use ChaDEMO which I think is still limited to 50kW? Plus ChaDEMO is only available with the extra adaptor and only on S & X.

Correct?

Yes. That is also my understanding.

I’ve read the CCS standard does not allow adaptors. So if that’s firm, it may be that way forever. Or until Tesla adds a CCS port. I believe they did so for China.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Why would any Tesla owner want to use any of these with Superchargers available?

And now that we ACTUALLY have a Supercharger in Fort Stockton, what other non-Tesla EV could even make use of any of these charging stations in Fort Stockton?
Thread got a bit OT here. Someone mentioned they plan to use the San Antonio EA when visiting there, because the San Antonio SC is still in permitting hell.

To bring back to relevance to Fort Stockton; Yes, mostly EA is just shadowing the general location of Tesla SC for now, and unlikely you'd have use for paying x2 to x4 as much for charging at an EA, for less than half the charging speed, in that case. But maybe if there was some sort of huge, unusually high Tesla traffic, like during the West Texas rally?

I've seen locally here on FB people going on very long road trips still asking to borrow ChaDEMO adapters (they're a few hundred dollars), so there may end up being uses for shorter range Teslas in some areas, or "just in case"?

EDIT: A real life example; During the recent Space-X launch in California there were reportedly hundreds of Tesla's that showed up from long distance. This created long waits at local SCing. Extra charging option of EA could have been helpful in a case like this, 50kW is still about 3x as fast as the maximum for L2. Or at least it'll be helpful until there are a lot more non-Tesla EVs on the road, and the EA stations become busy.

One thing (good and bad) about EA's pricing is that it'll discourage clogging by hybrids and slow charging. For nearly all plug-in hybrids VW's pricing strategy of "they'll pay as much as with gas" means it's normally going to be cheaper for for the hybrid to just fill up with dino juice. :confused: Remember that VW, and ergo EA, isn't in the transformation-of-energy-use-in-transportation business. Which is pretty crazy for a spun out company named "Electrify America".

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
For nearly all plug-in hybrids VW's pricing strategy of "they'll pay as much as with gas" means it's normally going to be cheaper for for the hybrid to just fill up with dino juice. :confused:

When you consider the opportunity cost of the time it takes to charge up vs. fill up with gas and how much more convenient it is to find a gas station than an EA charging station it's basically guaranteed unless the owner is passionate enough about minimizing gas use to overcome those barriers.

When you consider the opportunity cost of the time it takes to charge up vs. fill up with gas and how much more convenient it is to find a gas station than an EA charging station it's basically guaranteed unless the owner is passionate enough about minimizing gas use to overcome those barriers.
Yeah, there will be one group left. But they're more likely to have found some way to step up to full BEV, anyway.

Beyond that there's still a slice of the population that value the "opportunity cost" in time at nil and the the "penny pinching as a hobby" crowd (I'm looking at you "lifetime free SC so I'll drive 45 min to save $5 in charging at the SC" people ;) ). EA's pricing will cut both of those out.

Anyway I'm dragging this OT again so I'll STFU now. :p

• Funny
Reactions: tmoz
Model S/X CHAdeMO Adapter
As noted, the $450 CHadeMO adapter is only for S and X at present, although some believe Model 3's will have one also. Those CHadeMO adapters are huge, so if the $450 price tag or $200 rental fee with full deposit does not deter you, the space it takes up might. First person I had read about complaining of charge throttling was using a CHadeMO for over half his charges, with the remainder being Super chargers and his battery chemistry was altered so that he could not charge as fast any longer. I did not read that whole thread, but it seemed that charging by CHadeMO constantly was not the way to go, probably why there is a limit on how fast it charges.
If we get a lot of Tesla's at Fort Stockton, we can take turns charging or some may stay around in local hotels and use some of the destination chargers. If you just charge up to 250 and top off a little along the way or go slower, probably would work out fine. I am sure we can work something out, like coming early to charge or something. Bring a pot luck picnic to the charging area and some type of entertainment---maybe have a raffle or something over at the winery, with some of those electric scooters or something like it, if anyone owns one, to ride on for fun. I have seen several people use them around chargers, so I know a few people own something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/VIRO-Rides...&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=electric+scooter&psc=1

I may ask one for Christmas or a birthday present, lol. I have a habit of falling, so not sure family would encourage it. I was under impression that the ceremony was going to be in February and the rally in August? Guess that is not set in stone yet? Almost seems like some think it will be either February or August, unless I am misunderstanding things again.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
That electric scooter has a max carrying weight of 120lbs. It's for kids. Except that I'd rather my kids put some effort into pedaling :)
Yeah, I noticed that after I posted, lol. Wish I was 120 lbs.
We own two Ancheer electric bikes, but I do not have a hitch on my X, so they take up the whole back area, unless i take off the front tires, fold them, bag em, and stack em. So it takes 20 minutes to do all of that, and 20 minutes or so to reverse the procedure, depending on how easy it is to align the disc brakes. I like the idea of something that just unfolds and goes, like the mini pro Sedgeway, or a collapsible electric scooter.

https://smile.amazon.com/Balancing-..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=M3G7X2KPHHSWWVJQRKXV

Last edited:
Still no activity at our Walmart EA backup site.

Any objection to firming up the February 9th Golden Spike ceremony?
(Would still love to have our big Tesla rally in August. Perhaps the 17th-18th?)

Met with the new owner of the Limpia Hotel yesterday. He also owns the Holland Hotel and the Maverick Inn in Alpine (and a Tesla!).
Holland Hotel has a very good bar and restaurant, but no good place to put a destination charger. The pet-friendly Maverick Inn is interested in installing DCs. Will work on that.

Proposed agenda:
(would like to expand on this and involve Alpine for the August rally - start on a Thursday or Friday evening)
Saturday, February 9:
4:30pm
Meet at the Flying J in Fort Stockton. Pics, charge, then on to Fort Davis.

7:00pm
Cocktails and dinner at the Blue Mountain Bistro in Fort Davis
Cordials and such around the hotel's fireplace after dinner.

Sunday, February 10:
Breakfast is available at the Fort Davis Drug Store (traditional breakfast), Lupita's Place in Fort Davis (Mexican food), or Judy's Bread and Breakfast in Alpine (bring an appetite, allow extra time)

10:00 am
group photo in front of the the courthouse in Fort Davis

noon
Marfa: group photo in front of the Presidio County Courthouse
lunch at the Hotel St. George - Bar St. George
(charging available at the El Cosmico)

Cordials and such around the hotel's fireplace after dinner.

Charlie, the last time I heard someone use the noun usage of cordial was from my grandfather back in the '60s. He was born in 1891. I thought that this usage has fallen into desuetude (thought I would drop that word in for effect!) :D

Glad to hear it is making a comeback in west Texas! :)

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and beej
cpa....................and perhaps we shall wear our smoking jackets and ascots to sip our brandy or port?

Gentleman-at-home-in-his-smoking-jacket-657x900.jpg

No, I'm not from that generation, but I do so enjoy a robust red and stimulating conversation in front of a warm fire.

I had to look up desuetude. Why do you know that word?

(btw: half my family is Czech, with last names similar to your avatar.)

Charlie, the last time I heard someone use the noun usage of cordial was from my grandfather back in the '60s. He was born in 1891. I thought that this usage has fallen into desuetude (thought I would drop that word in for effect!) :D

Glad to hear it is making a comeback in west Texas! :)

Cordial is used more in the UK for a fruit-flavored beverage syrup, though it's more commonly called squash, depending somewhat on the fruit (flavor).

Any objection to firming up the February 9th Golden Spike ceremony?
(Would still love to have our big Tesla rally in August. Perhaps the 17th-18th?)
Dooooo it! :D

I just dropped by to check on the firmness of these dates, so this was a very timely post.

P.S. Incidentally at a local meet-up yesterday (21 cars in attendance) someone brought up "there should be Tesla rallies". :) I wasn't sure about the state of planning on the West Texas one so I didn't bring it up then.

Glad this is pressing forward. I'm going to make plans to come from Virginia!

Can someone create a Google Doc (or something similar) with key information such good places to make reservations and logistics? I could start one from this thread but I don't have any local knowledge.

• Funny
Reactions: beej
cpa....................and perhaps we shall wear our smoking jackets and ascots to sip our brandy or port?

View attachment 353812

No, I'm not from that generation, but I do so enjoy a robust red and stimulating conversation in front of a warm fire.

I had to look up desuetude. Why do you know that word?

(btw: half my family is Czech, with last names similar to your avatar.)

Language has always fascinated me since I was a kid. Grammar and spelling were easy for me in school, so I guess I sort of gravitated into learning more and more about the English language. Words are especially cool because their meanings and usages drift over time. For example, until around the twelfth century, the word "girl" meant any young child of either sex. Another interesting item is that the letter J was not added to the English alphabet until sometime in the 15th-16th centuries. Prior to this addition we had but 24 letters. To spell words with the J sound, the letter I was used before a vowel. So, King James was spelled King Iames way back when. Similarly, there were differences between the V sound and the U sound that were both represented by the classical Latin "V." The rounded U shape made its debut in the Middle Ages.

Here is the story behind Zzyzx, named by that mid-century charlatan and snake-oil salesman, Curtis H. Springer.

Zzyzx: Quack-Founded Town, Last Name In The Atlas, Zzyzx, California

If I can make it (doubtful) put me down for a bit of port and one of TaoJones cheroots!

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
I have a supercharger question - not sure where to ask it, so here it is on a weak link to the general topic.
CCS has a ring of posts on top of a pair of posts. Tesla is saying Model 3s in Europe will be fitted with this configuration. Will conventional Tesla plugs fit into the CCS plug? Or will CCS M3's need an adapter to use SC equipment. How does this fit?