Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fredericksburg, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
California
Spotsylvania could become pit stop for electric-car owners (coffee for you, juice for the car)

Both Tesla and supercharge.info don't have any evidence of Supercharger plans for the area.

Wawa convenience store spokeswoman only says it's working with Tesla but gives no details.

"Spotsylvania recently received a proposal to install eight Tesla “Supercharger” stations near Interstate 95, a first for the region."

I am not familiar with the region so I don't really understand where 8 Tesla Supercharger stations will be.

A front-page article in The Free Lance-Star (Fredericksburg, VA) published on Oct 14, 2017 contains the following passages: " ...Spotsylvania recently received a proposal to install eight Tesla 'Supercharger' stations at the Wawa across from Cosner's Corner near Interstate 95, a first for the region. Just three Wawas nation-wide have the high-speed Tesla chargers, which resemble gas pumps.." This location is just south of the City of Fredericksburg; and the concept of having charging stations and gas stations together seem very practical.

I left a rant on the Mt Jackson Supercharger post about amenities on the 81 corridor. This one is actually dangerous. You have a Supercharger at the Wawa and a multitude of tempting restaurant choices literarily across the street. Sounds great until you see that the street is Rte 1 and there are 9 lanes of traffic between you and your dining destination with no crosswalks. These areas are the worst in terms of urban design and lack of pedestrian access. I suppose you can carryout from one of the restaurants and sit in your Tesla while it charges but I like to get out of the car on a road trip.

Reactions: bhzmark and RTPEV
I left a rant on the Mt Jackson Supercharger post about amenities on the 81 corridor. This one is actually dangerous. You have a Supercharger at the Wawa and a multitude of tempting restaurant choices literarily across the street. Sounds great until you see that the street is Rte 1 and there are 9 lanes of traffic between you and your dining destination with no crosswalks. These areas are the worst in terms of urban design and lack of pedestrian access. I suppose you can carryout from one of the restaurants and sit in your Tesla while it charges but I like to get out of the car on a road trip.
This is the Tesla owner's version of a first world problem!

This is the Tesla owner's version of a first world problem!
Yeah well when I bought my Tesla there were exactly zero Superchargers on the entire east coast. Almost 5 years on I would like to see some improvements in the experience. Killing time at Wawa with my family is not how I envisioned the evolution of sustainable transport.

You can stay on the same side of Rte 1 and still eat at Cook Out, Wawa, Wings to Go or El Patron.

The beauty of having an increasing numbers of Superchargers, is that you can easily choose to skip those chargers you don't like. It seems that you have strong feelings against Wawa, and you know yourself well enough, to not trust yourself to keep yourself from getting run over when there is a tempting restaurant within sight, but necessitating crossing a freeway to get to. Others I know love Wawa just as much as you do not, and are quite happy to ignore Red Robin and Sonic. With a car that doesn't need to charge but every couple hundred miles (especially if you are planning to eat) you will have about 11 choices up and down 95 in this stretch. -- Peter

Reactions: CatB
The beauty of having an increasing numbers of Superchargers, is that you can easily choose to skip those chargers you don't like. It seems that you have strong feelings against Wawa, and you know yourself well enough, to not trust yourself to keep yourself from getting run over when there is a tempting restaurant within sight, but necessitating crossing a freeway to get to. Others I know love Wawa just as much as you do not, and are quite happy to ignore Red Robin and Sonic. With a car that doesn't need to charge but every couple hundred miles (especially if you are planning to eat) you will have about 11 choices up and down 95 in this stretch. -- Peter
Thanks for the analysis and helpful suggestions. Its not about Wawa per se. I would like to see Tesla choosing sites that offer more choices/selection for food etc and better walkability. I know from experience that having my Model S charging means an hour or so to kill. My road trips are usually with family (kids) and hanging out with them at Wawa which is a gas station/convenience store is not what I would choose. I agree that more Superchargers is a good thing but their location and amenities should matter. Perhaps Tesla is getting a deal (shared installation or electricity costs) by partnering with Wawa and Sheetz. From what I hear, they don’t make much profit on gas sales but rather the markup on the junk food they sell in their stores.

Reactions: RivetingTravel
For what it's worth, I took a road trip from DC to Durham NC this week, and I stopped at this Wawa. I didn't spend a ton of time looking, but I saw no evidence yet of supercharger construction. I wasn't expecting any, of course, since the permits are still under review.

Also for what it's worth... definitely not a pedestrian-friendly area. But I agree, more supercharging options = net positive.

Still unlikely at this point to see any construction -- the online permit system shows 4-5 items in the Review tab as incomplete. But they're making progress; several items were submitted or resumbitted on 11/1, and one was marked completed today. I don't know anything about the permit process in that area, but I would guess they could be ready for construction by the end of this year. Hopefully sooner than that, of course.

Wawa's sandwiches are fantastic. Just eat there.