Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Full

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Quebec, Canada we have cheap electricity. I pay 4.6 cents / KW at home however Superchargers are 60 cents\ KWh. Heck that over 13 times the cost! Total ripoff and little savings compared to ICE fill ups. Good thing I hardly ever charge at SC stations. Went to visit family a couple of weeks ago and put in 28.8kwh for 17.28 which is a bit better than a 1/4 tank in the S at home this would have cost about a dollar and some change.

Agreed, going to get hectic when the rest of the cars get nacs plugs and the ability to charge at SC stations mainly because they always work in comparison the rest of the garbage out there.

The V2 locations will probably get hit the hardest given their POWER SHARING nature. And if Chevy Bolts start flocking to SCers with their 55 kWh MAX charging speed things could get dicey. One of the locations we charge at on our road trips is Glen Allen VA. It's our last stop before we get to our kid's house in southern MD. We usually arrive with about 20% SOC and charge to at least 80%. Glen Allen is a V2 location and always busy so POWER SHARING is the norm. We plan on at least 30 minutes so we grab a bite to eat at the Panara. In the future, we'll have to monitor Glen Allen or Ashland (a V3 location) just north of Glen Allen on I-95 for congestion.

I hope Tesla UPGRADES all V2 locations to at least V3.
V2 locations can’t speak CCS, so they won’t be upgraded to Magic Dock. They will remain Tesla-only. V3, V3.5 (V3 250 kW cabinets with V4 dispensers) will support CCS cars. When V4 350 kW Supercharger cabinets roll-out (of which there are none yet, in the world), those should support CCS cars also.

Reactions: KJD
In Quebec, Canada we have cheap electricity. I pay 4.6 cents / KW at home however Superchargers are 60 cents\ KWh. Heck that over 13 times the cost! Total ripoff and little savings compared to ICE fill ups. Good thing I hardly ever charge at SC stations. Went to visit family a couple of weeks ago and put in 28.8kwh for 17.28 which is a bit better than a 1/4 tank in the S at home this would have cost about a dollar and some change.

Agreed, going to get hectic when the rest of the cars get nacs plugs and the ability to charge at SC stations mainly because they always work in comparison the rest of the garbage out there.
I don't live in your country, but maybe the residential cost of electricity is kept so low by charging commercial customers a higher rate. Your home energy rate is extremely low by any standards. I'd not complain about an occasional supercharge cost!

I don't live in your country, but maybe the residential cost of electricity is kept so low by charging commercial customers a higher rate. Your home energy rate is extremely low by any standards. I'd not complain about an occasional supercharge cost!
Um. Checked: Your profile states you're from Texas.

Um. Candians. Quebec, in particular, gets a huge proportion of their energy from hydropower. Think: Niagara Falls. For that matter, electricity rates around Niagara Falls, on the US side, are ridiculously inexpensive. And not just for residential, but for commercial users as well.

Since.. I don't want to get the moderators chasing after me, here, let's just say that there's some interesting.. industrial-political things going on in Texas that keeps that state off the interstate grid, resulting in interesting headlines for those of us who live elsewhere. So, given that you live there, it appears that there's a certain sense, in your statement, of projecting How Things Work In Texas onto the rest of the world.

Um. Checked: Your profile states you're from Texas.

Um. Candians. Quebec, in particular, gets a huge proportion of their energy from hydropower. Think: Niagara Falls. For that matter, electricity rates around Niagara Falls, on the US side, are ridiculously inexpensive. And not just for residential, but for commercial users as well.

Since.. I don't want to get the moderators chasing after me, here, let's just say that there's some interesting.. industrial-political things going on in Texas that keeps that state off the interstate grid, resulting in interesting headlines for those of us who live elsewhere. So, given that you live there, it appears that there's a certain sense, in your statement, of projecting How Things Work In Texas onto the rest of the world.
Um. Perhaps you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, or just have something against Texas. That's OK. I have something against New Jersey.

Um. Getting back to something constructive, I checked my Tesla app to see what SC prices actually are in Quebec. In general, the prices I see average about $0.44 CAD. I did see one site in downtown Montreal that was $0.60. While $0.44 is still quite a premium over $0.05 at home, it's quite a bit cheaper than $0.60 and seems to be more, or less, in line with what many people pay in the US. The $0.60 figure quoted by the OP does seem to be a rare case.

V2 locations can’t speak CCS, so they won’t be upgraded to Magic Dock. They will remain Tesla-only. V3, V3.5 (V3 250 kW cabinets with V4 dispensers) will support CCS cars. When V4 350 kW Supercharger cabinets roll-out (of which there are none yet, in the world), those should support CCS cars also.
I didn't know that, thanks for bringing me up to speed. We stop at a small V2 station (6 stalls) on our road trips from southern IL to southern MD via I-64 in Lexington Va as it's just off the exit, has NEVER been full, and is hosted by a friendly Holiday Inn. We use their outdoor patio for our lunch break while we charge up to 90% to make it to our next charging stop in Dhalgren Va. So there are times (at least for us) when a good V2 is still a viable option.

Reactions: KJD and Acps110
I've only driven Teslas for 3 years but I've driven back and forth across the country 2-3 times in both NorthEastern Blizzards, and Summer scortching in Moab. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to wait to charge and it was usually less than 5 minutes. Never more than 10.
Sounds like you haven’t been in the San Francisco Bay Area or Los Angeles recently.

I’m more often than should be waiting for a supercharger in the middle of the day in the middle of the week. And there’s dozens of stations near me. It doesn’t help that every single one of these stations are located in a shopping center. It’s a good (when you get a spot) and bad (when you have to wait forever or give up). A lot of these stations are urban chargers or shared V2 chargers. So, you can be waiting for a long time. And, not a single one is open to non-Teslas yet. I dread the day that it starts to open up.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVhybrid
I've only driven Teslas for 3 years but I've driven back and forth across the country 2-3 times in both NorthEastern Blizzards, and Summer scortching in Moab. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to wait to charge and it was usually less than 5 minutes. Never more than 10.
I'm like you. Only had to wait for a charge a few times, despite making a lot of trips. But, I've never driven the car to California or some of the other really big urban areas where there are a lot of SC-dependent Teslas. OKC used to have one V2 charger site that would back up. Now, there's a really nice V3 site north of downtown that was all but deserted the two times I was there last week.

Most en route chargers I've been to are very underutilized except, perhaps, on big holiday travel days.

It's kind of like a news story that "Water is wet!" I had also driven around 30+ different states over about 8 years and had never had to wait for a stall at a Supercharger, but then I went on a trip to Disneyland down around LA, and sure enough, my first waiting experience.

Reactions: KJD and jboy210
Sounds like you haven’t been in the San Francisco Bay Area or Los Angeles recently.

I’m more often than should be waiting for a supercharger in the middle of the day in the middle of the week. And there’s dozens of stations near me. It doesn’t help that every single one of these stations are located in a shopping center. It’s a good (when you get a spot) and bad (when you have to wait forever or give up). A lot of these stations are urban chargers or shared V2 chargers. So, you can be waiting for a long time. And, not a single one is open to non-Teslas yet. I dread the day that it starts to open up.
Shopping center stations are slower because they are older AND because the center wants people to shop longer.

Shopping center stations are slower because they are older AND because the center wants people to shop longer.
Around here, it’s mostly slower urban and V2 because Tesla installed them a while back before the V3’s. And, I’ve never seen Tesla upgrade a station since the very first station went online, whether from urban to V2 or V2 to V3. There are a lot of V3 stations as well, don’t get me wrong, though.

Around here, it’s mostly slower urban and V2 because Tesla installed them a while back before the V3’s. And, I’ve never seen Tesla upgrade a station since the very first station went online, whether from urban to V2 or V2 to V3. There are a lot of V3 stations as well, don’t get me wrong, though.
That is true here also. But I find the Urban ones work out fine. The two places there are Urban chargers by me at Outlet Mall and a Home Depot. In eother place I usually spend 20-30 minutes and just use the charger to top off.

Reactions: DblOSmith