Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Great Ocean Road VIC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lorne would be a far better location, although that is still pretty close to Torquay.
Maybe Apollo Bay? Its in the middle between the stretch of Torquay and Warrnambool.
I think they should have also put another supercharger in Geelong, its pretty much its own city at this point and will help cover the journey to the surrounding areas and connecting to Ballarat

I think chargers need to be in ‘hub’ locations on a hwy etc, my vote would be for Geelong, and not buried in a suburb somewhere. Geelong would allow access to the Great ocean road, Torquay, Lorne, Apollo Bay, and also is within 200kms to Warrnambool/Ballarat/Melb so would be my vote. If it was in Lorne or Apollo Bay it would only be used if you were going there, where as Geelong would service a far larger user base and would get you to those locations and back anyway.

Last edited:
I think chargers need to be in ‘hub’ locations on a hwy etc, my vote would be for Geelong, and not buried in a suburb somewhere. Geelong would allow access to the Great ocean road, Torquay, Lorne, Apollo Bay, and also is within 200kms to Warrnambool/Ballarat/Melb so would be my vote. If it was in Lorne or Apollo Bay it would only be used if you were going there, where as Geelong would service a far larger user base and would get you to those locations and back anyway.
Yeah definitely. Great Ocean Road though is one of the most popular tourist/holiday roads in Australia and it would be a shame if it didnt have a supercharger, even though its a magnet for police, has around 1000 tourist buses on it and everyone drives below 50km/h and 10km/h around corners.
I've been hurt but when I was driving on that road it was nothing in comparison.

Reactions: bradjc
You'll see from the above discussion that Tesla had been scouting the area for a while but seemingly unable to find a suitable site.

Then the Coming Soon dot in Torquay disappeared and Geelong, Colac and permanent Warrnambool sites appeared in 2021.

The Victorian DCAV program does have a bunch of funding for sites in the region under CTR Surf Coast (prob Evie) at Lorne, Anglesea, Aireys Inlet & Winchelsea, and Chargefox in Apollo Bay that should be rolled out over 2022 and 2023.

Last edited:
Nice to have a supercharger in Apollo Bay. Trying to plan a GOR trip with the Model Y RWD and it's a pain without wasting too much time diverting to Colac.
While certainly not a replacement for an SC on the GOR, The Perch restaurant in Lavers Hill is planning to install several destination chargers soon. Helps when the owner has a Tesla ;-) Helps even more when several regular customers have one ;-) ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hairyman and moa999