Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Green River, UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are some other Utah superchargers with only 4 stalls. Do people think they might also be getting expanded? Has anyone been by them in the recent past to see whether there are any markings on the ground?

There are some other Utah superchargers with only 4 stalls. Do people think they might also be getting expanded? Has anyone been by them in the recent past to see whether there are any markings on the ground?
I'm guessing no, for the time being. The other ones with four stalls that I can think of off-hand are Blanding, Moab, and Richfield. None of those are really capacity limited in my experience.

By contrast, I've charged at Green River many times and have rarely not seen at least one other car charging there. It has sometimes had only two working with three cars wanting to use them. More stalls will be welcome!

Green River is a major charge stop between Salt Lake City and Grand Junction or Moab (via Price UT), in addition to those just traveling on I-70.

I use it often (although skip it too for Price or Richfield when possible). Typically busy despite its remote location.

I also have a suspicion that they are in some way prepping for Semi usage. The parking areas in Green River and Beaver are large for trucks to use. Richfield doesn't seem to be getting more chargers despite that SC always being busy when I'm there.

I use it often (although skip it too for Price or Richfield when possible). Typically busy despite its remote location.

I also have a suspicion that they are in some way prepping for Semi usage. The parking areas in Green River and Beaver are large for trucks to use. Richfield doesn't seem to be getting more chargers despite that SC always being busy when I'm there.
I can't skip Green River, or any of the others, since my range is down to 176 RM as of six months ago — haven't checked lately.

I think that Green River gets more use than Richfield because the former is at a crossroads and the section of I-70 west of Green River has the least traffic of any part of the highway west of Denver. Northbound traffic uses US 6 via Price and Provo, of course, so only traffic headed south on I-15 uses Richfield.

Stopped at Green River 5 Oct in the afternoon. The install crew were wiping down the brand new chargers. Haven’t had a chance to talk to them yet and don’t want to be obnoxious either. We’ll be back through in a couple weeks so I’ll update then. Everything looks good so far!

Attachments

• C90031EB-5145-44C1-A145-81E984C66A0E.jpeg
    C90031EB-5145-44C1-A145-81E984C66A0E.jpeg
    834.9 KB · Views: 167
People seem to think these are old stalls which are out of order lol. Photo from PlugShare View attachment 465474

Hmm, those are definitely the brand new ones. I’m hoping they’ll be open next week as I come back through but it didn’t seem like a busy spot. I wish there was something between Richfield and Green River as driving that route in a SR+ (240mi, I’m closer to 235 these days) is just cutting it too close.

Hmm, those are definitely the brand new ones. I’m hoping they’ll be open next week as I come back through but it didn’t seem like a busy spot. I wish there was something between Richfield and Green River as driving that route in a SR+ (240mi, I’m closer to 235 these days) is just cutting it too close.

That’s only about 130 miles... Are you driving at 120 mph? :p;)

• Funny
Reactions: KJD and PLUS EV
That’s only about 130 miles... Are you driving at 120 mph? :p;)

So going Richfield to Green River, A Better Route Planner doesn’t show RED (departing at 98%) but your reverse the trip... Green River to Richfield and it does show red and max speed of 75pmh arriving with 16%. My SR+ did it with but we arrived with 10% battery because of a bad headwind.

This trip from Colorado Springs to Las Vegas I’ve been able to charge to about 98% at the SC before I’m just adding another 15-20mins to get to 100...this 98% gives me about 230-235 so arriving at Richfield with 10% aka 23miles was a bit close. Especially since Beaver and St. George are so close, the car was telling me to straight skip Beaver, Utah but I figured we might as well stop to checkout this SC since we might need it in the future.

In the end, should’ve bought the Long Range but we don’t do too many long trips so I saved my monies.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Even gas cars have a 106 mile gap between gas stations on this stretch (see my avatar pic which was taken in Green River). This is the longest gap on the interstate system. There probably isn't even adequate electrical supply between Green River and Salina (which is where the next gas station is) and putting a supercharger in Salina would only cut down the gap by 17 miles. The only way I see them putting in a supercharger in Salina in the next 50 years is if they can't get approval for expansion in Richfield and they have a willing business in Salina. Which is probably unlikely considering they most likely couldn't find a partner business in Salina 5.5 years ago when they built the Richfield supercharger.

I will agree that Salina would have been a better location than Richfield in the first place, but that die has already been cast. Future models will have longer range, not shorter range, so the dinosaurs driving S60s and those driving short range 3s will just have to drive (somewhat) slowly on this desolate stretch for the foreseeable future. Also note that this is only a (minor) issue in one direction. Due to the elevation drop, Richfield to Green River is fairly easy in any Tesla.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Even gas cars have a 106 mile gap between gas stations on this stretch (see my avatar pic which was taken in Green River). This is the longest gap on the interstate system. There probably isn't even adequate electrical supply between Green River and Salina (which is where the next gas station is) and putting a supercharger in Salina would only cut down the gap by 17 miles. The only way I see them putting in a supercharger in Salina in the next 50 years is if they can't get approval for expansion in Richfield and they have a willing business in Salina. Which is probably unlikely considering they most likely couldn't find a partner business in Salina 5.5 years ago when they built the Richfield supercharger.

I will agree that Salina would have been a better location than Richfield in the first place, but that die has already been cast. Future models will have longer range, not shorter range, so the dinosaurs driving S60s and those driving short range 3s will just have to drive (somewhat) slowly on this desolate stretch for the foreseeable future. Also note that this is only a (minor) issue in one direction. Due to the elevation drop, Richfield to Green River is fairly easy in any Tesla.

All very true info. I didn’t look at the elevation between the two, it was a long day of driving so it all kind of melted together although autopilot made it way better and I definitely felt less fatigued.

I haven’t had much range anxiety with this car until planning this trip out on A Better Route Planner. It was this section, Green River to Richfield that made me worried but then I plugged it into the car and the car had no problems to mention. True there is nothing in between and probably never will be but I won’t be doing above the speed limit at all during this stretch either way in my SR+. Maybe one day they’ll squeeze out a bit more range from the battery.

I'm surprised that you find Richfield to Green River difficult in an SR+. I do that trip leg in my degraded S-60 with a range of 176 RM. I have to charge to 95% or so, and pay attention, but it isn't as difficult as other trip legs I do. Westbound tends to take a bit more energy than eastbound, even if there isn't any wind. It ought to be fairly easy in an SR÷ unless driving in winter conditions with snow.

I'm surprised that you find Richfield to Green River difficult in an SR+. I do that trip leg in my degraded S-60 with a range of 176 RM. I have to charge to 95% or so, and pay attention, but it isn't as difficult as other trip legs I do. Westbound tends to take a bit more energy than eastbound, even if there isn't any wind. It ought to be fairly easy in an SR÷ unless driving in winter conditions with snow.

We did have quite the headwind going West but did charge to 98% at Green River. Dunno, maybe the first true road trip road trip jitters. We’ve done Colorado Springs to Aspen, to Glenwood Springs to Silverthrone and back to Colorado Springs just fine, maybe it’s because it wasn’t out in the middle of no-where I guess.

I’ll give an update on going back to Colorado in a few days. Maybe the new SC’s will be open at Green River.

Green River has been showing "reduced service" the last few days. Four of eight stalls (the newer ones) are working. Don't let nav route you around this Supercharger Station if you need it.
For what it's worth, I stopped here and charged just fine on Friday, 10/1/2021.
I chose the shadiest spot, which I think was the northern most / last slot, and which was probably one of the 4 newer ones as @dgpcolorado mentions.
We had a pleasant lunch at the restaurant across the highway while charging.

For what it's worth, I stopped here and charged just fine on Friday, 10/1/2021.
I chose the shadiest spot, which I think was the northern most / last slot, and which was probably one of the 4 newer ones as @dgpcolorado mentions.
We had a pleasant lunch at the restaurant across the highway while charging.
Green River has free WiFi at the museum and sheltered picnic tables. It is a pleasant place to stop for a charge.

Reactions: CO_MY and KJD
The last time I tried to make the trip from Denver to Los Angeles, the Green River, Utah, Superchargers were all down and I had to backtrack to Moab driving 30 mph on the highway and arrived with 6 miles remaining. I'm planning to make the same trip soon and wondering if anyone has had experience with the status of the Green River Superchargers lately. I'd like to avoid a similar event and would appreciate any insight. Thanks so much! - Lisa

The last time I tried to make the trip from Denver to Los Angeles, the Green River, Utah, Superchargers were all down and I had to backtrack to Moab driving 30 mph on the highway and arrived with 6 miles remaining. I'm planning to make the same trip soon and wondering if anyone has had experience with the status of the Green River Superchargers lately. I'd like to avoid a similar event and would appreciate any insight. Thanks so much! - Lisa
Best place to look for recent experience at a particular charging location is on Plugshare, in the check-ins portion. Green River Supercharger on Plugshare shows ~8 positive experience reports over the last month or so. The last time a non-active report was given was from mid December 2021 and that time was a misuse of the reporting as the user was just reporting a single stall didn't work for them, not that the whole site wasn't working. Of course, this recent past history is not a guarantee that a site won't be down for some freak reason when the next person shows up. But it is showing that the site isn't having any regular issues.

Reactions: KJD